Author Topic: Modelling: 3d cockpits?  (Read 2373 times)

Modelling: 3d cockpits?
    What sort of geometry is required for a 3d cockpit? I'm not talking about "plug in a guy and make the glass transparent" but rather sort of a 3d dashboard with the player's POV inside the cockpit and with the dashboard visible. I mean obvious, one would have to make the control panel itself, but what about the interaction with the outer skin? Does the cockpit have to be some self-contained sort of model? I had a look at Steve-Os fighters in model view but it's not abundantly clear to me.

It seems like the cockpit glass for example, is only one face? So I assume the outside is textured and the inside is just seen through the back?? I haven't done any extensively modelling so, not sure how it is to have like the hull, wrap down into the cockpit area and then from one point have another piece of geo (ie the glass) sticking out at a perpendicular angle sorta thing.

Not really for one of my models, but it's for something I'm helping a dude with so guess that's what they want. (though I haven't worked on it in a while and won't have a chance to work on it for a week or two more either . . )

Offline Getter Robo G

• Elite Super Robot Pilot
Re: Modelling: 3d cockpits?
The terran cockpit I think covers this (First made by Venom/Nico)
I also think you need the "ShowShip" flag. This puts your eyepoint at the "head" you see the lower body and the controls... Look at BTRL for a more modern one.

Many of the hTL ships have the old model.
Look for the part called terco and dissect it...

I'll probably never be to that point so will bug someoen like Scooby when my projects reach that stage (adding the cockpit model I found).

If any part of that is incorrect, someone pls jump in and fix that explanation...
"Don't think of it as being out-numbered, think of it as having a WIDE target selection!"

"I am the one and ONLY Star Dragon..."
Proof for the noobs:  Member Search

[I'm Just an idea guy, NOT: a modeler, texturer, or coder... Word of advice, "Watch out for the ducks!"]

Robotech II - Continuing...
FS2 Trek - Snails move faster than me...
Star Blazers: Journey to Iscandar...
FS GUNDAM - The Myth lives on... :)

What sort of geometry is required for a 3d cockpit? I'm not talking about "plug in a guy and make the glass transparent" but rather sort of a 3d dashboard with the player's POV inside the cockpit and with the dashboard visible. I mean obvious, one would have to make the control panel itself, but what about the interaction with the outer skin?

Personally I leave the cockpit as a seperate object (I believe this is required).  Also helps when lodding.  I usually use a cockpit tub I made much earlier, position it as closely as possible.  Cut the ship hull to basically fit it.  Merge the hull and tub together and try my best to move the tub's vertices to snap to the hull.  Often will require a fixed uvmap, but thats ok.  Once I've gotten it fitting nicely, I then detach the cockpit tub from the hull.  This helps prevent slivers from showing.  However, with the newer external cockpit style, I would use a "trim" to help hide the mismatches

Does the cockpit have to be some self-contained sort of model? I had a look at Steve-Os fighters in model view but it's not abundantly clear to me.
You can do it both ways.  All my models so far have been part of the model mesh.  There's a newer way of having it as a seperate pof.  If you go that route, then you'll want to include parts of your ship that are visible from the cockpit as part of the cockpit mesh. (parts that can't be seen can be removed).  BTW whats the state of the external cockpit code?  Has that been put in into all main SCP code?

It seems like the cockpit glass for example, is only one face? So I assume the outside is textured and the inside is just seen through the back??
Yes, all my cockpit glass is one sided.  Technically you could use an internal glass too, but too much work for too little reward.  About the all you'd get is a.) possibility of tinted glass on the inside and b.) glare on the inside.

I haven't done any extensively modelling so, not sure how it is to have like the hull, wrap down into the cockpit area and then from one point have another piece of geo (ie the glass) sticking out at a perpendicular angle sorta thing.
You mean how the cockpit/glass intercepts the hull?  The cockpit itself should fit snuggly (or at least appear to fit snuggly from the inside, it doesn't matter if it's slightly floating above the hull from the outside, the pilot can't see that).  The glass can intercept the hull anyway you like, since you can't see it on the inside.

The terran cockpit I think covers this (First made by Venom/Nico)
I also think you need the "ShowShip" flag. This puts your eyepoint at the "head" you see the lower body and the controls... Look at BTRL for a more modern one.
"Show Ship"  :)
Also dig through my fighters.  99% of them have cockpits.

Dunno if thats answered any of your questions or just made more
That's cool and ....disturbing at the same time o_o  - Vasudan Admiral

"Don't play games with me. You just killed someone I like, that is not a safe place to stand. I'm the Doctor. And you're in the biggest library in the universe. Look me up."

"Quick everyone out of the universe now!"

Offline Nuke

• Ka-Boom!
  • Mutants Worship Me
i dont like the new cockpit system because i cant animate it as far as i know. and im making ships with controls that move. not to mention it would be cool if i could see my gatlings spin and turrets moving and shooting from inside the cockpit. also want to rtt some textures, but im not sure how to access those in a separate cockpit model.
I can no longer sit back and allow communist infiltration, communist indoctrination, communist subversion, and the international communist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious bodily fluids.

Nuke's Scripting SVN

Ahhh I knew there was a reason for holding back.  No cockpit hud textures yet.

"Don't play games with me. You just killed someone I like, that is not a safe place to stand. I'm the Doctor. And you're in the biggest library in the universe. Look me up."

Personally I leave the cockpit as a seperate object (I believe this is required).  Also helps when lodding.  I usually use a cockpit tub I made much earlier, position it as closely as possible.  Cut the ship hull to basically fit it.  Merge the hull and tub together and try my best to move the tub's vertices to snap to the hull.  Often will require a fixed uvmap, but thats ok.  Once I've gotten it fitting nicely, I then detach the cockpit tub from the hull.  This helps prevent slivers from showing.  However, with the newer external cockpit style, I would use a "trim" to help hide the mismatches

Okay, so . . . the vertices of the cockpit(s) are snapped to the models but they're not actually part of the geometry? Is that right? I'm not actually sure if the guy in question wants like, the cockpit to be visible from the outside or simply wants a 3d hud/dashboard sorta thing (which from other posts seems to have problems of its own as it requires a different hud for each fighter unless a person uses the same cockpit I guess).
       But anyway, good to know. I'll maybe ask some more questions when I actually get time to work on it.

Okay, so . . . the vertices of the cockpit(s) are snapped to the models but they're not actually part of the geometry? Is that right? I'm not actually sure if the guy in question wants like, the cockpit to be visible from the outside or simply wants a 3d hud/dashboard sorta thing (which from other posts seems to have problems of its own as it requires a different hud for each fighter unless a person uses the same cockpit I guess).
       But anyway, good to know. I'll maybe ask some more questions when I actually get time to work on it.

Yes, that way the cockpit vertices match up with the hull vertices.  You don't exactly need to merge the two parts together, it's just a lot easier.  [Select a vertex on the hull.  Notepad down the cords, unselect and select the cockpit and paste the cords for it's corrisponding vertice.  YUCK]  The reasoning for this isn't for the outside, it's for the pilot otherwise you could have a see through section.

Offline Nuke

• Ka-Boom!
  • Mutants Worship Me
i just model the damn cockpits for each ship. its faster than trying to fit a default cockpit in each ship as an afterthought. i tried cramming the chimera's cockpit into the shagrath, two revisions and it still dont look right. the new system probably has some advantages when dealing with glass and transparent textures and a big advantage to game speed.

i believe they said animations from the ship would be carried over to like named submodels on the cockpit model, as would vwep models. i just hope they don't deprecate the old show ship method before the new system has matured sufficiently.
I can no longer sit back and allow communist infiltration, communist indoctrination, communist subversion, and the international communist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious bodily fluids.

Nuke's Scripting SVN