Author Topic: Catching up on old stuff...  (Read 5174 times)

Offline Getter Robo G

• Elite Super Robot Pilot
Catching up on old stuff...
Well I got the backlog from hell and no where to go so I'll be aproaching people (usually by PM) for more one shots.

IF I get no reply then I will make a post publicly and then move on to the next.

The goal is not to bog a person down with an entire project, mainly ONE ship (cap or fighter/possibly a pair) at a time and release it so it's DONE.

This particular post if for notification as I justsent my first new PM on the subject and will update shortly (I have some textures to tweak in anticipation)... A short period of WIPS shots will follow and then the release.

This only works if people are interested in participating. (plus it's a good way to make yourself known in the community). If you don't want people to know you are working on it until the release that's fine also.

Pls don't bog this thread down with bumpage of excessive non-help comments.

TBC real soon...
"Don't think of it as being out-numbered, think of it as having a WIDE target selection!"

"I am the one and ONLY Star Dragon..."
Proof for the noobs:  Member Search

[I'm Just an idea guy, NOT: a modeler, texturer, or coder... Word of advice, "Watch out for the ducks!"]

Robotech II - Continuing...
FS2 Trek - Snails move faster than me...
Star Blazers: Journey to Iscandar...
FS GUNDAM - The Myth lives on... :)

Offline Getter Robo G

Re: Catching up on old stuff...
In case people are wondering what the first candidate is, it's the SA43 fighter from SAAB (Space Above and Beyond).

This low poly mesh was made by BORG124 and secured by me. I altered the texture to look less "cartoony" and added a primitive shine map, glow map (if any) to be added later.

It needs one turret (but one frontal single barrel GUN Model for player) and one AI turret on back for 180 fOV.

There is another bomber varient slightly different wing I will designate as SA44. Now the base texture has been decided on I will try to tweak more various squadrons.

If I don't hear back from the Person I pm'ed shortly (or negative if a negative response) I will post again stating this model needs help. (apparently I suck at thruster cones also).

I can finish off the subsystems and dockpoint later (it will have no shields).
If someone really wanted to wild a cockpit could be added

This post was to keep people updated.

[attachment deleted by admin]
"Don't think of it as being out-numbered, think of it as having a WIDE target selection!"

[I'm Just an idea guy, NOT: a modeler, texturer, or coder... Word of advice, "Watch out for the ducks!"]

Offline Thor

• Captain of the GTD Sparta
hope you get good news, i'd love to fly the hammerhead.  twas a great show....
I can't believe my profile is still active... member since  July 25, 2002

Offline Getter Robo G

You can fly it now, point is it has a rotating, back facing, dual machine gun. (which would be logical to put under ai control).

Under the cockpit bow you got a single barrel (FIXED) machine model the player controls that does not move. I could possibly do that, but last time I did the model would not convert...

My test model uses gun and missile points I added in MV.

No dock point will be added as hammerheads NEVER are rearmed in space only on a carrier. (so ISSP's can't do it) and a real SAAB mission will never have a support option, just reinforcements. ISSP's are rated as transports anyway so having them in a mission isn't support and won't cause a crash for non-pathed/dock ships (chigs also)

I might add one just for people who use them in a FFA mod.

Nope no response to PM so far so I guess their too busy. So if anyone was interested in what I needed for this particular model, let me know.

I guess I can revisit the old Chig models we have (basic, red and bomber) and redo some glows and add a shine map, then release them, but I would rather wait and have the Chig mothership done as well as the ambassador, and a new Chggy R and bomber II. That way it would be a complete CHIG PACK.

I would think only the mothership would need any turrets so basically it would be fixing mesh errors and redoing successful pof-ing for the rest. The Bomber II would have to be done from scratch that was a HW1 mesh.

Likewise for the HUMAN PACK an ISSP would need to be made as well as the Saratoga and Eisenhower alternate carrier (as those were HW1meshes).

Diamond Geezer made a destroyer (turrets were "wonky").
Galemp tweeked some Chig textures for us!  :yes:

The main reson that project "died" was unsecured resources (in test mode) were posted BEFORE I could approach and get confirmation for the HW1 staff for their models. They came to HLP and read us the riot act and claimed all the models were theirs (incorrect)

I was very disorganized at the time and had no excuse but the truth was 75% of the work was BORG124's (who I managed to track down later and he gave his ok). DG went on the offensive and I had only half a clue what had happened as I had previously told him to wait on any postings as I was tracking down permissions for all those models and to basically go into TEST ONLY /REFERENCE mode...

In short, they made a bad situation worse, both sides got upset and it killed DG's passion for modding so he quit FS2 almost entirely and vanished a few months after that completely. Since then all the SAAB files have been on one of my old HD's now hopelessly outdated and forgotten.

:(  Life goes on...

« Last Edit: May 10, 2008, 07:09:51 am by Getter Robo G »

Offline Water

So if anyone was interested in what I needed for this particular model, let me know.
If you don't mind a delay, I'll have a look at it.

Offline Getter Robo G

NP, I was thinking of using Trashman's dual turret for the top back and one of Nuke's for the single barrel underbow.

I'll get the materials together and you let me know here when it's good for you.

Next post will have something new. Maybe from Gundam cause both are such a cool ships IMHO... redo the Destroyer and make it a Federation 3 pack of cap ships.... Hmmm

Offline Water

NP, I was thinking of using Trashman's dual turret for the top back and one of Nuke's for the single barrel underbow.

I'll get the materials together and you let me know here when it's good for you.
If this is the version http://users.pandora.be/robin.leysen/saab/images/td_sa43_2.jpg then don't worry about locating turrets, just the model and texture will be fine.

Offline Getter Robo G

ok, but there was a very specific reason I was going to. it looks nothign ike that (plus I have full mock up daytime screen caps of the poorly designed back turret (it would shoot the ship - sulacco syndrome :) )

here it is:

BTW, I just ran into a strange thing. I was trying to update the ClaymoreX (Combat Federation) and had just gotten done testing it and tweakign textures. I loaded the mission for the third time and I was flying one and had an enemy wing as them also.

There was no pic in the target box. When you turn to look at them or hit . to look at yourself it hard locks!

I know the mesh is stable and the textures are fine... I wonder what's going on... (more weird stuff seems to happen to me with 3.6.9 than 3.6 I had to change over though...

I was going to get the textures to a point that I was satisfied with and then add a spotlight effect to jazz it up (I already added glow and shine), plus it blows up fine (no crash).

« Last Edit: May 10, 2008, 09:52:21 am by Getter Robo G »

Offline Water

There was no pic in the target box. When you turn to look at them or hit . to look at yourself it hard locks!

I know the mesh is stable and the textures are fine...
Most likely that mesh does have problems...

I've DL the SA-43. Will get it back to you when sorted.

Offline Getter Robo G

Wohoo! Probably needs to be fixed but at least it's in game...

You get ONE guess, and yeah the turrets are stripped (there were in pieces anyway in HW2)

Here's a clue: Gundam. (I'll go rustle up some barrel and base combos in the meantime till I hear from someone)

Offline Getter Robo G

Since Heru departed I don't think he'd mind me releasing these one at a time.
A lot fo these are low poly but definately look better with some texture tweaking.
I need to learn how to make glow points (especially blinking ones, a model like this could really use them.)

Here's the Cosmo Tiger I retextured. I am not happy with how the fire points are set up so after I redo them and make sure it has a dock I will release it.

Is there a glowpoint tut for pure noobs?

Offline Water

Is there a glowpoint tut for pure noobs?
This is my best guess from looking at capital01.pof - the lights on the runway.
Displacement time - Delay from start of mission.
On time and off time -  as expected
all in milliseconds (1000ms = 1 second)

Is there a way to get turrets from HW2?

Offline Getter Robo G

Glows:

I opened PCS2, copied entries for other pofs (static, non blinking), placed them on the 3 pointed extrusions, ran game no show..

Turrets: Yes I have them but when you extract hw2 files they are all in pieces (not just one turret, like up to 40 barrels and 20 bases on big ships!). Just like how I have my turret project. Someone would have to seat the barrel into the base and place them on the model and add axis (then copy the finished one for multiple turrets before placement)...

Might as well use a better set if you got to do the SAME amount of work anyway right?

Soon as I figure this glow thing out I will release the CosmoTiger.

Offline Water

I opened PCS2, copied entries for other pofs (static, non blinking), placed them on the 3 pointed extrusions, ran game no show..
Under properties
Try $glow_texture=white_glow
Turrets: Yes I have them but when you extract hw2 files they are all in pieces (not just one turret, like up to 40 barrels and 20 bases on big ships!).
Thanks - The ones I wanted to look at were not from HW2

Offline Getter Robo G

I'm done with it for now.... i'll go back for my perosnal one but for the public I got it working.

Apparently there is a code that some colors only work with glow types 1-4.

It's got a blue front and 2 side greens blinking (good enough).

Someone really needs to add this to the WIKI (after all this time you'd think the info would be there). I barely saw mention of GLOW textures but no mention of glow POINTS.  ;)

Anyway it's uploaded to FSmods and I was going to do HC but they seem to be down(?)

It's small enough so I added it here as well. I know I suck but at least I try to get stuff done. (or redone to SCP min standards)  :D

[personally I just want to be always one up on Takashi, because he can model and I just don't have it in me]

Offline Getter Robo G

Next release: Cosmo Zero (Mesh by Heru, Textures heavily modified by me)

I figured out there is no general white glow for lights. SO I MADE ONE.
It's not the best but it's something and I've included it in the 7zip (put that in your effects folder).
Why did I add blinkers? Cause I thought they would be cool...

Screenshot: (model and texture files in the 7zip below)
As before make your own table.

Offline Getter Robo G

Not so much a release, but if it gets fix so be it.

This was intended to eb for the ROBOTECH Mod as an anime-ish explosion.

I have the images and make the ani file but after that the colors ge washed out...

Can anyone fix this? (thus it is now open for all to use).

I was going to make diff size ones for fighter-cap ship size explosions so they look liek the battles you seen on different shows.

Offline Getter Robo G

Release

Gamilon Corsair: (mesh by Heru, textures heavily altered by me)

It's supposed to look like a toy as it did in teh series. I decided on a compromise plus didn't add any lights. End result, passable.

[edit]

Release

White Comet Empire Scorpion Recon/strike fighter
(Mesh by Heru, textures heavily modified by me)

« Last Edit: May 11, 2008, 01:30:20 pm by Getter Robo G »

Offline Getter Robo G

I got something sweet coming down the pipe that looks amazing. I just need to wait for permission (did the test today and sent email).

Let's just say the HammerHead will have a worthy foe...  ;7

Offline Getter Robo G

He's coming...

(pic purposely vague) Only when you can catch him in the right angle will his 6k beauty fill your senses (just before you die...)