Author Topic: How hard would it be to . . variable weapon damage  (Read 5444 times)

Offline colecampbell666

• I See Dead Pictures
  • Evolution and ascension.
Re: How hard would it be to . . variable weapon damage
Could there be a code like:
Code: [Select]
If
>Shivan
>>Secondary
>>>Cyclops
Replace
>Shivan
>>Secondary
>>>ShivCyclops
That automatically takes care of this without having to edit things yourself?
I know nothing about coding though, so this is more like a SEXP than a code.

That isn't the exact place, but it's similar. IIRC it was Titan who said what I'm thinkinf of.

And I didn't say it was OK, I said that it was ignored.
Gettin' back to dodgin' lasers.

Offline blowfish

• Join the cult of KILL MY ROUTER!!!!!!!!!!1
If its ignored, then generally no one has a problem with it.

Offline Nuke

• Ka-Boom!
  • Mutants Worship Me
you could probibly script this in 4 lines.

id probibly be more intrested in variable fire rate, have a minlife, maxlife acceleration time and deceleration time. that way i can make gatling guns that fire like gatling guns.
« Last Edit: May 12, 2008, 09:04:19 pm by Nuke »
I can no longer sit back and allow communist infiltration, communist indoctrination, communist subversion, and the international communist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious bodily fluids.

Nuke's Scripting SVN

you could probibly script this in 4 lines.

id probibly be more intrested in variable fire rate, have a minlife, maxlife acceleration time and deceleration time. that way i can make gatling guns that fire like gatling guns.

Gatling guns have an inconstant rate of fire???

Offline Nuke

• Ka-Boom!
  • Mutants Worship Me
yea its the current rpm / # of barrels, the laws of physics dictate the rest. also most guns (mainly ones in aircraft) have a speed select switch, so you can go fast or slow depending on the length of the mission, or your current ammo situation. i think the minigun that they use in choppers and on humvees, ect. have a variable speed trigger, much like the one on a power drill.
« Last Edit: May 12, 2008, 10:09:57 pm by Nuke »
I can no longer sit back and allow communist infiltration, communist indoctrination, communist subversion, and the international communist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious bodily fluids.

Nuke's Scripting SVN

yea its the current rpm / # of barrels

Yeah, but in the case of like a minigun, like on Predator, isn't it basically zero to full-bore almost instantly? There's not typically a warm-up phase of any appreciable time as far as I know. 

Offline Nuke

• Ka-Boom!
  • Mutants Worship Me
the bigger the gun, the bigger the spinup/spindown. also on how powerfull the drive system is. miniguns in games that spin up before feeding ammo are bs. such a system in real life would jam. you get alot more reliability mechanically linking the feed system to the barrels. works like a bicycle chain, think of every link as carrying a bullet, and when the chain passes betweeen the teeth on the sproket, that bullet may then be locked loaded and ejected and the casing exit on the very same link. thats pretty much how gatling guns work.

russian gatling guns are a little wierd. they use the gas from the bullet going off as sort of a truster to keep the barrels spinning. its initiated with a pyro charge (limiting the number of times they can fire it). breaks engage when the trigger is released. but the guns get insane rates of fire and almost no spinup delay, in excess of 10k rpm. :D i think the rounds are linked and spin directly off a feed drum with no complex conveyor systems, which is why it gets such awesome rates of fire, less stuff to work.

as for the gun in predator, its not possible to use it in that way. its designed to be operated as a manual turret on vehicles or as an implacement (tripod burried in sandbags so as to take the recoil). it was a real minigun but the only way they managed to fire it from the waist is by shooting blanks, and limiting its rpm. nukemod has gatling guns ranging from minigun size to a 105mm gatling-howitzer :D
« Last Edit: May 12, 2008, 10:22:45 pm by Nuke »

Nuke's Scripting SVN

Offline karajorma

• King Louie - Jungle VIP
  • Administrator
    • Karajorma's Freespace FAQ
That isn't the exact place, but it's similar. IIRC it was Titan who said what I'm thinkinf of.

And I didn't say it was OK, I said that it was ignored.

First off, Retsof's post is actually a feature request rather than an attempt to tell the coder how to do it. Secondly he never said that it was easy and in fact said he didn't know the code and asked if it was possible. If you notice I don't think any coder actually posted after he did anyway.
Karajorma's Freespace FAQ. It's almost like asking me yourself.

[ Diaspora ] - [ Seeds Of Rebellion ] - [ Mind Games ]

Offline WMCoolmon

• Purveyor of space crack
Nowt to do with me. I had no idea that Backslash was already working on something similar. If you decided to implement the code without checking if another coder was already doing something similar that's not my fault. If you decided to implement the code with your broken hand just to rub my nose in how easy it actually is then it sucks to be you but again is your fault.

Simple fact is that certain people here on HLP won't respond to a help request even when asked repeatedly (Wanderer for instance has been asking about that paging in question for days) but would crawl over broken glass with their flies unzipped to prove someone wrong. If you were foolish enough to be the latter then maybe you should ask yourself why it mattered to you so much.

I've suggested meetings and more communication b/t coders and have been ignored/opposed.

I don't know about paging - taylor does. I replied because he didn't. I'm sorry to see that SCP members are supposed to mock those who can't defend themselves, attack those who stand up for them, and use assistance as ammunition.
-C

Offline karajorma

• King Louie - Jungle VIP
  • Administrator
    • Karajorma's Freespace FAQ
I've suggested meetings and more communication b/t coders and have been ignored/opposed.

Have I ever opposed it? You're completely in the wrong if you're trying to claim I'm responsible for that.

I'm sorry to see that SCP members are supposed to mock those who can't defend themselves, attack those who stand up for them, and use assistance as ammunition.

Who was that masked man! It's Burro, defender of the oppressed masses of HLP!
Karajorma's Freespace FAQ. It's almost like asking me yourself.

[ Diaspora ] - [ Seeds Of Rebellion ] - [ Mind Games ]

Offline colecampbell666

• I See Dead Pictures
  • Evolution and ascension.
Like I said, that wasn't the exact place I saw it.
Gettin' back to dodgin' lasers.

Offline MP-Ryan

• Makes General Discussion Make Sense.
  • Global Moderator
  • Keyboard > Pen > Sword
    • Twitter
Could a system like this be applied to beam weapons instead of a locked range?  Also feeding in a variable to decrease accuracy the further out the ships are?

It's always seemed mighty strange that beam weapons preserve their power no matter the distance, but also that they have a physical limitation on range at which they will fire.

It would be a useful feature to toggle on and off for mods that don't want to set ridiculously high range values in tables nor have beam weapons that are accurate and powerful when engaging at long range.
"In the beginning, the Universe was created.  This made a lot of people very angry and has widely been regarded as a bad move."  [Douglas Adams]

Offline Wanderer

• Wiki Warrior
  • Mostly harmless
Err?

http://www.hard-light.net/wiki/index.php/Weapons.tbl#.24BeamInfo:

Especially range and attenuation fields.... As for range limitation... what (apart from the default range being set to 30 000) ?
Do not meddle in the affairs of coders for they are soggy and hard to light