Author Topic: Broken Models?  (Read 2100 times)

Hi all, new to the forums, long-time FS player.

I recently grabbed the online installer for FS2, and downloaded everything on the list (except for the mac and linux stuff), and am trying to play through the FS Port.

However, this is what my Faustus science vessel looks like: http://img187.imageshack.us/img187/296/faustussg6.jpg
The same thing happens for Asteroids. Initially, I was also greeted by a massive ugly sheet coming out of the side of the model, spanning my entire screen and then some. It was very strange - I imagine it might be related to the model having some error.

How can I fix this? I'm not sure if any other ships are affected, yet. I'm only up to the mission where you first fun into the Shivans. So far only asteroids and the Faustus are broken.

I apologize if this question has already been answered in another thread - I checked the stickies and there did not seem to be anything in there.

Thanks,
Bubbinska

Offline FUBAR-BDHR

• Self-Propelled Trouble Magnet
  • Master Drunk
    • 165th Beer Drinking Hell Raisers
Make sure the jpg/tga flag is on in the launcher.
No-one ever listens to Zathras. Quite mad, they say. It is good that Zathras does not mind. He's even grown to like it. Oh yes. -Zathras

yes, the command "Enable jpg/tga textures" is ticked. I don't think it's related to textures though, otherwise wouldn't all models be doing it?

Here is another screenshot: http://img261.imageshack.us/img261/4574/platohs8.jpg

Note that a small section of the ship's model is not being drawn. However, I noticed that the target view window (bottom left corner) displays the ship correctly - but I assume that display would show a lower-poly model.

I'll try downloading the media VPs again.

Offline blowfish

• Join the cult of KILL MY ROUTER!!!!!!!!!!1
Make sure your graphics drivers are up-to-date.

Updated graphics drivers to most recent (using a radeon X1600), re-downloaded mediavps and it's still happening.

*edit* here is my command line: C:\Games\FreeSpace 2\fs2_open_3_6_9.exe -mod mediavps -spec -glow -env -jpgtga -mipmap -2d_poof -noscalevid -targetinfo -orbradar -rearm_timer -ship_choice_3d -3dwarp -warp_flash -snd_preload

*edit edit*
Just changed the executable to the 3.6.10 version, and the models appear to have fixed themselves. Maybe the model files I had were incompatible with the 3.6.9 version?
« Last Edit: May 18, 2008, 01:48:28 am by Bubbinska »

Offline blowfish

• Join the cult of KILL MY ROUTER!!!!!!!!!!1
There are really no model incompatibilities between 3.6.9 and 3.6.10.  Weird combinations of graphics cards etc. can cause certain builds to behave strangely, however.

*sigh*

The model works properly now, but my FSO 3.6.10 freezes on mission start. Using fs2_open_3_6_10-20071007T.exe

Offline Herra Tohtori

• The Academic
  • Bad command or file name
Don't ATi/AMD's drivers have kinda on/off style regarding having OpenGL working properly between different releases? In some drivers, it works; in some it doesn't, partially or entirely (depending on game).

Regarding lockup - can you try a debug build and post what it shouts at you about the mission?

Also, the most recent build from the Xt line is Xt0314, try that... though if the mission makes the build crash, it's way more likely that the problem is in the mission than in the build, or at least that's what my gut keeps telling me.
There are three things that last forever: Abort, Retry, Fail - and the greatest of these is Fail.

Offline Wanderer

• Wiki Warrior
  • Mostly harmless
If it doesnt complain about with debug build post the 'fs2_open.log' file here. It should be generated to the main data directory ( \freespace\data for example).
Do not meddle in the affairs of coders for they are soggy and hard to light

The Xt0314 build appears to have solved the problems. Thanks for the help, all.