Author Topic: Normal Mapped TIE/In Interceptor and TIE/ln Fighter and TIE/sa Bomber  (Read 12988 times)

Offline brandx0

• The Angriest Angel.
    • Fate of the Galaxy: The Star Wars Conversion for Freespace
Normal Mapped TIE/In Interceptor and TIE/ln Fighter and TIE/sa Bomber
Here we go, normal mapped and shine mapped.  There's a few bits where the normal is kinda jagged, I'm still fooling around with the blur setting it needs to be at.

« Last Edit: May 22, 2008, 01:53:21 am by brandx0 »
Former Senior Modeler, Texturer and Content Moderator (retired), Fate of the Galaxy
"I love your wrong proportions--too long, no, wait, too short
I love you with a highly symbolic torpedo up the exhaust port"
-swashmebuckle's ode to the transport

Offline Galemp

• Actual father of Samus
  • Ask me about GORT!
    • Steam
    • User page on the FreeSpace Wiki
Re: TIE/In Interceptor with Normal Maps
Very nice mesh and maps!

Constructively, though, you should look at putting some detail onto the blue diffuse map like dirt, scuffs, scratches, and so forth, as it's currently too flat and unrealistic.

I'm also concerned about the cockpit window proportions; it doesn't look quite right. Match it up in front and top views to make sure you've got it right.
"Anyone can do any amount of work, provided it isn't the work he's supposed to be doing at that moment." -- Robert Benchley

Members I've personally met: RedStreblo, Goober5000, Sandwich, Splinter, Su-tehp, Hippo, CP5670, Terran Emperor, Karajorma, Dekker, McCall, Admiral Wolf, mxlm, RedSniper, Stealth, Black Wolf...

Offline brandx0

• The Angriest Angel.
The proportions are correct, I know that for sure, all the views are matched exactly to the schematics.

I'll try putting a little bit of dirt and grime on there though
Former Senior Modeler, Texturer and Content Moderator (retired), Fate of the Galaxy

Offline Shade

Dirt? Grime!? That is an Imperial Navy TIE/ln Interceptor! Accordingly, it is washed, dried, scrubbed and polished after each mission so that it may properly convey the majesty and terror of the Empire onto those who face it in battle! Hrmpf. Save the dirt for the rebels and their pathetic little X-Wings.
Report FS_Open bugs with Mantis  |  Find the latest FS_Open builds Here  |  Interested in FRED? Check out the Wiki's FRED Portal | Diaspora: Website / Forums
"Oooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooh ****ing great. 2200 references to entry->index and no idea which is the one that ****ed up" - Karajorma
"We are all agreed that your theory is crazy. The question that divides us is whether it is crazy enough to have a chance of being correct." - Niels Bohr
<Cobra|> You play this mission too intelligently.

Offline brandx0

• The Angriest Angel.
Hehe, well I do agree it could use a little bit of weathering, just a tad.  Anybody got any tutorials that'd help me out there?  I only know how to model, this whole texturing thing is pretty new to me hehe

Offline Shade

Well, I was -partly- serious ;) Dirt, in my opinon, just doesn't belong on an imperial ship, but that doesn't mean it has to look factory new. field repairs might achieve the same effect without compromising the clean imperial look, though: A slight discoloring here where a laser burn was fixed up, a plate welded on there to plug a hole, that sort of thing.

PS. The normal map looks awesome. I think the imperial indoctrination officer who posted in my name just before forgot to say that.
Report FS_Open bugs with Mantis  |  Find the latest FS_Open builds Here  |  Interested in FRED? Check out the Wiki's FRED Portal | Diaspora: Website / Forums
"Oooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooh ****ing great. 2200 references to entry->index and no idea which is the one that ****ed up" - Karajorma
"We are all agreed that your theory is crazy. The question that divides us is whether it is crazy enough to have a chance of being correct." - Niels Bohr
<Cobra|> You play this mission too intelligently.

Offline brandx0

• The Angriest Angel.
Well, I threw a little bit of those ideas in there, not much, then added the ambient occlusion map and I think I'm about satisfied with the results.

thoughts?

« Last Edit: May 20, 2008, 10:32:40 pm by brandx0 »

Offline maje

You need more contrast with light to dark, especially when it comes to defining areas where plates come together, and also any sharp grooves that show protrusions.  Some random color variation would help as well and honestly, there is going to be some measure of dirt and grime on the Interceptor no matter how well it is maintained.  Stuff still slips through the cracks, fluids still manage to leak.

You're on a good role, just need to make the little touches which is perhaps the most pain in the rear part of texturing!  :nod:
Deuternomy 22:11 explained:

Well there are many different speculations going on about this law about not mixing fibers and at least one explanation claims that it was a symbolic gesture designed to keep a pure sense of culture, people, and religion.  Seperation of crop  in the vinyard, mentioned in Dt. 22:9 and 22:10 seem to reaffirm this idea, though there may be other reasons as well.

And now, an excerpt from the Prayer of Mordecai, the Book of Esther Chapter C (New American Bible Official Catholic version).

Est C:5  You know all things.  You know, O Lord, that it was not out of insolence or pride or desire for fame that I acted thus in not bowing down to the proud Haman.  6  Gladly would I have kissed the soles of his feet for the salvation of Israel.  7  But I acted as I did so as not to place the honor of man above that of God.  I will not bow down to anyone but you, my Lord.  It is not out of pride that I am acting thus.

Offline brandx0

• The Angriest Angel.
Just as another viewpoint, my interceptor alread has a fair bit more colour variation and difference, as well as groove contrast and panel lines than the real Interceptor model.

Offline brandx0

• The Angriest Angel.
And just for fun

Offline brandx0

• The Angriest Angel.
And another one, taken from RotJ

Offline Alan Bolte

• Deneb III
    • @Compellor
Two things stick out for me:
1. The chin guns look a little exaggerated, including the protrusion they stick out from.
2. An area that could use some texture detail - the front face of the wing hub, the part where the two tubes stick out from.

The black bumpy bits look really awesome though.
Anything worth doing is worth analyzing to death -Iranon

Offline Galemp

• Actual father of Samus
  • Ask me about GORT!
    • Steam
    • User page on the FreeSpace Wiki
Huh, I stand corrected. It's probably the extra-shinyness of the cockpit combined with the lack of transparency that's throwing me off- the shading has it looking more like a truncated cone than a spherical section.

As for the blue, the ambient occlusion is a nice touch. The photo you posted I think actually underscores my point, though-- it looks like plastic because it IS plastic! Try some light filtering the texture through a metal texture here or some noise.
"Anyone can do any amount of work, provided it isn't the work he's supposed to be doing at that moment." -- Robert Benchley

Members I've personally met: RedStreblo, Goober5000, Sandwich, Splinter, Su-tehp, Hippo, CP5670, Terran Emperor, Karajorma, Dekker, McCall, Admiral Wolf, mxlm, RedSniper, Stealth, Black Wolf...

No offense, but all his SW stuff sorta seams plastic... I assume that's because you had the 'material' the models made out of set to... plastic?  :P
Seriously, is that why?
Sig nuked! New one coming soon!

Offline brandx0

• The Angriest Angel.
No offense, but all his SW stuff sorta seams plastic... I assume that's because you had the 'material' the models made out of set to... plastic?  :P
Seriously, is that why?

It's partially because you're looking at renders made in 3ds max, rather than in game.  The shinyness and metalicity of the textures won't really be finalized until I get the model in game, because Freespace renders differently than Max does.

Offline brandx0

• The Angriest Angel.
Same scene with the new TIE Fighter, now also normal and shine mapped

Offline BS403

• I'm just sitting in my Cave.
Re: [Update] TIE/In Interceptor and TIE/ln Fighter with Normal Maps
Great Work Brand!!
http://woogleville.myminicity.com/

Homer: Aw, twenty dollars! I wanted a peanut!
Homer's Brain: Twenty dollars can buy many peanuts.
Homer: Explain how.
Homer's Brain: Money can be exchanged for goods and services.
Homer: Woo-hoo!

Offline brandx0

• The Angriest Angel.
Re: [Update] TIE/In Interceptor and TIE/ln Fighter with Normal Maps
And the bomber

Offline brandx0

• The Angriest Angel.
Re: Normal Mapped TIE/In Interceptor and TIE/ln Fighter and TIE/sa Bomber
All 3 in action now!

Offline Alan Bolte

• Deneb III
    • @Compellor
Re: Normal Mapped TIE/In Interceptor and TIE/ln Fighter and TIE/sa Bomber
 :eek: Sweet.
A bit of clarification on what I meant about the chin guns: the flat piece they stick out of has its top edge too close to the cockpit window. It looks like the bottom edge is at the right hight, so that means that the structure is too tall. However, since the whole structure must stay in contact with the curved surface of the main hull, it must be shifted a few decimeters to the rear rather than simply shortened.
I Googled up this high-contrast image of a Celestia model for comparison. Seems accurate.
« Last Edit: May 22, 2008, 09:43:40 am by Alan Bolte »
Anything worth doing is worth analyzing to death -Iranon