Author Topic: Ker.Soth's mission design questions  (Read 5806 times)

Offline Colonol Dekker

• HLP is my mistress
  • Aken Tigh Dekker- you've probably heard me
    • My old squad sub-domain
Re: Ker.Soth's mission design questions
Find the vp viewer. . .find the key to it all. .TBL files hold all info needed. Just open em in notepad.
Campaigns I've added my distinctiveness to-
- Blue Planet: Battle Captains
-Battle of Neptune
-Between the Ashes 2
-Blue planet: Age of Aquarius
-FOTG?
-Inferno R1
-Ribos: The aftermath / -Retreat from Deneb
-Sol: A History
-TBP EACW teaser
-Earth Brakiri war
-TBP Fortune Hunters (I think?)
-TBP Relic
-Trancsend (Possibly?)
-Uncharted Territory
-Vassagos Dirge
-War Machine
(Others lost to the mists of time and no discernible audit trail)

Your friendly Orestes tactical controller.

Secret bomb God.
That one time I got permabanned and got to read who was being bitxhy about me :p....
GO GO DEKKER RANGERSSSS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
President of the Scooby Doo Model Appreciation Society
The only good Zod is a dead Zod
NEWGROUNDS COMEDY GOLD, UPDATED DAILY
http://badges.steamprofile.com/profile/default/steam/76561198011784807.png

Already on it.  Has anybody noticed that the Auroras have a better energy consumption with the 60mm pulse instead of the 40mm? Once you get the hang of it it's fun too. Blows up most fighters in two hits. Works wonders on the Drakh.
AN S&M VERSION OF STAR TREK: BEAT ME UP SCOTTY!

Offline karajorma

• King Louie - Jungle VIP
  • Administrator
    • Karajorma's Freespace FAQ
Of course I have another question. I've tried having freighters arrive in the EXPLORER'S main hangar, but the DO NOT want to cooperate. They either stay put once they arrive or make a 90 degree vertical turn and try to exit through the hangar's walls. I've tried different compinations of the arrival paths but it was no good. ( I thought of using the EXPLORER as an EA modular base, the Orions are too small compared to the bases of the other races.)

Did you have the freighters in a wing? If so I'd advise taking them out and naming them individually. Wings were only really meant for fighters and bombers and other classes can act very strangely if you put them in a wing. Far better to simply use waypoints and orders to get them to leave the bay. You could also try setting the ships to No Dynamic Goals which means that they will only do what ordered to. You'll have to tell them to fire at enemy ships etc but they should only follow their orders once you do that.
Karajorma's Freespace FAQ. It's almost like asking me yourself.

[ Diaspora ] - [ Seeds Of Rebellion ] - [ Mind Games ]

No, I gave them separate names, tried no dynamics, added waypoints, you name it. They seem to hit some invisible wall every time they try to get out the right way. even the no-collide trick I thought of doesn't seem to work. Who knows, I'll probably figure it out when I least expect it. As always. Thnx for the heads up though.

Offline karajorma

• Administrator
Keep a copy of the broken mission. I'd like to take a look at it and see if I can figure out why they're acting that way. :)

sure, no problem. It's not even a mission really. Just the station and a couple of freighter pilots that sould have their flight licences revoced.

I think I've got a pretty good idea of how to use the editor now. As soon as I figure out the red-alert carry thing I'm all set. Thnx everybody for your advise.

Does anybody need a helping hand with a  campaign? I think I could build a descent mission or two.

Offline IPAndrews

• Disgruntled Customer
  • This site stole my work
You know I would recommend writing some stand alone single missions. Working on any campaign is hard work and can end up putting people off mission design entirely. Writing single missions you get to experiment telling different short stories, and you get to release something to the public quicker. This is good because there's no better way of getting feedback on what you're doing well and what you can improve than releasing something to the public. Finally we have a few campaigns now, and no single missions. So there's a real market.
Be warned: This site's admins stole 100s of hours of my work. They will do it to you.

Wow, IPA. I didn't mean build my own campaign. I don't feel THAT confortable yet. I meant, does anybody already building a campaign want me to build a mission for them?

But you're right, I should build a standalone and get some feedback before I ask anybody to trust my programming. Hm, damn. Now I need a story.....probably something completely anti-canon. I haven't watched b5 for some time now, all the details are fusy in my head.

Offline IPAndrews

• Disgruntled Customer
Wow, IPA. I didn't mean build my own campaign.

Neither did I. What I meant to say was working on any campaign was hard work. Hence my usage of the word "any" and "campaign" in close proximity :P :D.
Be warned: This site's admins stole 100s of hours of my work. They will do it to you.

LOL, silly me :p. I was to hasty to respond. I'll build a standalone over the weekend. Hopefully.

Offline IPAndrews

• Disgruntled Customer
Don't worry. It gave me a chance to poke fun at you. But don't worry about that either. It just proves I'm a prat. :)

Red alert mission carry, how the heck does it work? Voodoo? Charming reparte? Please help me and I shall reveal the secret of AGGHHHHHHhhhhhhhhhhhh..............

Offline karajorma

• Administrator
Red alert mission carry, how the heck does it work?

IIRC there is actually a bug in the red alert code in 3.6.9 so the simple answer is, not very well.

Alrighty then, I can live with that. Thnx Kara. A couple of things I noticed,

1-Thunderbolts can't load anything in their third missile-bay. What am I doing wrong? Or is it something that was partly emitted to avoid overpowering?
2-Does the Badger Turret actually work or does it need SEXPing? I saw a couple of commands tried to use them, but I don't really think anyghing happened

Offline IPAndrews

• Disgruntled Customer
1-Thunderbolts can't load anything in their third missile-bay. What am I doing wrong? Or is it something that was partly emitted to avoid overpowering?

Yes and yes.

2-Does the Badger Turret actually work or does it need SEXPing? I saw a couple of commands tried to use them, but I don't really think anyghing happened

Yes but it's not exactly effective.

Thnx IP. I think I pretty muched solved all my main questions...for today.