Author Topic: Has anyone considered...  (Read 2671 times)

Offline Black Wolf

• Twisted Infinities
  • Hey! You! Get off-a my cloud!
    • Visit the TI homepage!
Has anyone considered...
Why is everyone so sure that we will open the node to earth? Has anyone considered the possibility that Earth will open the node to us? After all, we were only a few years behind the ancients in other tech aspects than subspace, and after the node went down, Subspace tech would have become the major priority. Plus, most of the top Terran minds would have been on earth. Granted, we have the ancient knossos to work off, but isn't it possible that Earth may open it first?
TWISTED INFINITIES · SECTORGAME· FRONTLINES
Rarely Updated P3D.
Burn the heretic who killed F2S! Burn him, burn him!!- GalEmp

Offline Nico

• Venom
    Parlez-vous Model Magician?
Re: Has anyone considered...
Originally posted by Black Wolf
Why is everyone so sure that we will open the node to earth? Has anyone considered the possibility that Earth will open the node to us? After all, we were only a few years behind the ancients in other tech aspects than subspace, and after the node went down, Subspace tech would have become the major priority. Plus, most of the top Terran minds would have been on earth. Granted, we have the ancient knossos to work off, but isn't it possible that Earth may open it first?

well... maybe. what else do you want us to answer :p?
SCREW CANON!

Offline an0n

• Banned again
  • Emo Hunter
    • http://nodewar.penguinbomb.com/forum
No resources.

Also they have no idea that nodes can be stabilized artificially.
"I.....don't.....CARE!!!!!" ---- an0n
"an0n's right. He's crazy, an asshole, not to be trusted, rarely to be taken seriously, and never to be allowed near your mother. But, he's got a knack for being right. In the worst possible way he can find." ---- Yuppygoat
~-=~!@!~=-~ : Nodewar.com

Offline Nico

• Venom
Originally posted by an0n
No resources.

Also they have no idea that nodes can be stabilized artificially.

huh... no resources? what the hell are you talking about? an entire system isn't enough for you?
And most scientists discovers stuff they didn't know they would exists. that's actually how science works (worked), in fact.
SCREW CANON!

Heres a question to think on wot if Earth has been destroyed by a natural Disaster? the planets still there but no life, alot can happen in the time the node was collasped and re-opened
"For 10,000 years we have thought the
long war and our hatred still knows no
succour. Those who have defied us shall
feel the full wrath of Chaos..."
-Abaddon the Despoiler.

Offline Mad Bomber

• Booooom
Possible. But I doubt humanity would have been COMPLETELY eradicated from Sol unless there was a supernova.

Even if Earth exploded or something, we would definitely have had colonies on Luna and Mars, as well as installations, and probably colonies on some of the moons around Jupiter or Saturn.

As for resources, there's plenty of carbon and metal on Mars and Luna to build just about anything they would want to make. Water is plentiful on Europa and the Martian polar caps, and nitrous compounds can be found on Titan, so agriculture wouldn't be too much of a problem.
"What the hell!? I've got a Snuffleupagus on my scanners! The Snuffleupagus is active!"

Offline Black Wolf

• Twisted Infinities
  • Hey! You! Get off-a my cloud!
    • Visit the TI homepage!
Re: Re: Has anyone considered...
Originally posted by venom2506

well... maybe. what else do you want us to answer :p?

I guess I just wanted to spark some converation :)
TWISTED INFINITIES · SECTORGAME· FRONTLINES
Rarely Updated P3D.
Burn the heretic who killed F2S! Burn him, burn him!!- GalEmp

Offline Stryke 9

• Village Person
    Reset count: 4
Because when the node collapsed, most of the Shivans were still on the GTVA side. The Sol survivors woulda assumed everyone else was wiped out by the remaining Shivans, and wouldn't be inclined to open up a node to Shivan space.

Offline Stryke 9

• Village Person
    Reset count: 4
That, and the damsel-in-distress syndrome has in FS2 (and likely any 3) been applied to an entire legendary system.

Offline Nico

• Venom
Originally posted by Stryke 9
Because when the node collapsed, most of the Shivans were still on the GTVA side. The Sol survivors woulda assumed everyone else was wiped out by the remaining Shivans, and wouldn't be inclined to open up a node to Shivan space.

excepted they also knew the lucifer was the only thing they couldn't beat. And they knew very well what happened to the Lucifer... Really, just look at Silent Threat: cleaning up the remaining shivans was an easy task, and the Sol people were smart enough to know that w/o the luci, the few remaining shivans wuoldn't be enough against the combined terran and vasudan fleets. Anyway, it's not the kind of humanity to hide itself in a system. They would plan a counterstrike of some sort, they would WANT to go out. It'show mankind is.
SCREW CANON!

Offline Eishtmo

• The one and only
  • The One and Only
    • http://www.angelfire.com/games2/fsarchive/index.html
Alright, I suppose that Sol could reopen the node (all evidence is that Earth was not destroyed shortly after the Lucifer was destroyed), they have the resources to possibly do it.  However, I doubt they would.  Remember, though Sol was the center of the GTA, all that knowledge was likely spread throughout the Alliance, and the Vasudans had their own sources.  So, if they couldn't come up with a way to stabalize nodes in some 30 years, and they were trying, what are the odds that Sol could pull it off on its own?  Not very good, I believe.

In any case, I doubt Sol would even try.  venom says that cleaning up the Shivans was easy, but did you really remember the end of the game?  The Shivans were everywhere having blockaded everything past Beta Aquilea.  The GTA was on the verge of exitinction by this point, most of their best ships and pilots were dead, millions of refugees from Vasudan and Terran worlds crowded the systems still in Allied hands, and there appeared to be little chance of forcing them back.  

It was only after the Lucifer was destroyed did the Shivans lose their coecion that made them the most deadly force in the galaxy.  The people of Sol wouldn't know that.  Communication with the rest of the GTA was completely cut off, and this fact probably was unknown to Sol.  So in reality, I doubt Sol would even attempt such a task, as it would waste resources and possibly lead to their own demise.  Remember, they likely don't know that the GTVA is alive and well, and it would be safer, for them, to stay cut off and prepare for the worst.
Warpstorm  Bringing Disorder to Chaos, And Eventually We'll Get It Right.

---------

I know there is a method, but all I see is madness.

Offline Nico

• Venom
only thing I could reply to that (that means it's a good argument :) ) is that it's not good being trapped in a singlr system with no way to flee. Even alpaha1 (the fs1 one stays in sol) thinks the shivans are able to reopen the node. I think it's good for them to reopen the node to have at least a little chgance to flee if the shivan come to sol.
SCREW CANON!

Offline ^Graff

Don't forget that they said that the Shivans would take a long time before they could reopen the node.  "But not in my lifetime."  They would probably wait for the Shivans to open the node first, and then run for it.
Originally posted by Anduril:
Dang, Graff, you good.  :)

Offline Nico

• Venom
Originally posted by ^Graff
Don't forget that they said that the Shivans would take a long time before they could reopen the node.  "But not in my lifetime."  They would probably wait for the Shivans to open the node first, and then run for it.

if the shivan open the node, they most likely hold it, and I've never seen how a shivan blockade looks like... shouldn't be easy to go through :p

and that's just a pilot guess, the shivans could have come back a year later actually :)
SCREW CANON!

Offline vadar_1

• Mr. Crispy
    • http://dynamic4.gamespy.com/~freespace/hosted/fullcircle/
Keep in mind that the Terrans had to study the knossos for a long time, and they were unsure if they could replicate the technology, or even if it worked the way they thought it would. I doubt Earth could just come up with this, i mean, they couldn't even figure out how to track things in subspace.
"Shockingly, checking Draw Lines Between Marked Icons draws lines between the marked icons. " -Volition quality help files

Projects;
The Full Circle Project (site down - server side problem)
Paradox (site down - server side problem)

Offline LtNarol

• Biased Banshee
    • http://www.3dap.com/hlp/hosted/the158th
Resources, remember back before subspace was discovered...earth was using the resources of the Sol system before subspace, and thats quite a long time.  Much of the high grade resources would have gone into the ships the GTA was building.  So while you have an entire system, not that much is high grade and even less of it is left.

Tech wise: its one thing to be able to use subspace nodes, its another to create one or stablilize a collapsed one.  It would be more practical to send ships at sublight speeds to Alpha Centauri, which is only 4 light years away to use the jump node there.  At sublight speeds, it would take a long time, but ships in space continue to accelerate until a force is exerted on them assuming that they keep their engines running.  Therefore, after ten years or so (maybe more, didnt exactly do the math), a orion and her fleet could find themselves in Alpha Centauri.

Offline Kamikaze

• A Complacent Wind
    • http://www.nodewar.com
:wtf:

ten years?

Think: Light goes at a speed of one light-year per year (duh :p) so assuming that the orion (and the fleet) get there in ten years that's
10 years/4 light years to alpha centauri. That means they're going at %40 of the speed of light... with fusion drives. (very simplistic but suffices to give an idea)

Now, how are they going to pack, food and water for the staff of a fleet for ten years? And what will they do for ten years and fuel, how they'd get that? and etc.
Science alone of all the subjects contains within itself the lesson of the danger of belief in the infallibility of the greatest teachers in the preceding generation . . .Learn from science that you must doubt the experts. As a matter of fact, I can also define science another way: Science is the belief in the ignorance of experts. - Richard Feynman

Offline Nico

• Venom
resources: when terrans left sol, their fleet was probably not very big (if there was a fleet at all). Look at all we've built with just earth damnit! dozens of thousands of planes, ships, millions of cars and buildings! come on, be serious! you gotta stop with the sci-fi delirium of the systems completly depleted just to build a handfull of ships.

for stabilizing the node, maybe it's a luck for sol people not to know about the knossos. They can find another, simpler way to do so.

about the lightspeed thing, as far as I know, there's nothing like that in FS.
SCREW CANON!