Author Topic: Alephone Open Source Project has just Released v.20!  (Read 3097 times)

Alephone Open Source Project has just Released v.20!
If you enjoy classic first person shooters and loved Halo then Bunnie's classic Marathon Infinity with the Alephone engine is defiantly for you. Plus, its multilayer over the internet, is with out a doubt, some of the most fast paced, fun gaming experience around.  But really, the multilayer setup is extremely similar to FS2 where a person hosts a game and people click to join, but they way they laid it out Is almost perfect, and I wish FS2 open took this approach.  You can check it out over at source.bungie.org and click "Get" on the top of the screen and follow the directions which are pretty simple.  Its available for Windows, Linux, MacOSX and Mac OS Classic (without internet game support but I doubt anybody here uses that)

« Last Edit: June 22, 2008, 11:49:40 am by Darklord42 »

Offline Mars

• I have no originality
  • Attempting unreasonable levels of reasonable
Re: Alephone Open Source Project has just Released v.20!
Nexuiz is better looking, and unless this games on meth, Nexuiz is faster paced too.

I can honestly say I don't have nearly as much fun playing nexus. It's a completely different feel.  Obviously you have never played an 8 or 5 player match in marathon.  You can't get more faced paced then that.  Granted the single player is much slower but its extremely rich in detail and fun in it's own right.  And it's fan base are a real bunch of die hards.

If you wan't to improve the graphics, there are High res textures and highres shots upgrade on the same dl link as well as a High res Weapons and amo upgrade on simplici7y.com

Offline Hellstryker

• waffles
And thus is begins that me and general whateverhisnameis are no longer the only people on HLP who know about marathon... I don't know whether or not to be upset or happy  :p

Offline Ransom

• M. Night Russel
  • It will not wait.
    • Rate of Injury
Ever since playing these games on the Mac back when Infinity was new, I have never been able to figure out the Marathon guy's method of reloading the shotgun. It is one of science's great unsolvable mysteries.

Awesome mysteries.

Offline achtung

• Friendly Neighborhood Mirror Guy
  • ****in' Ace
    • Minecraft
    • Freespacemods.net
Known about Marathon for a while.

I'll stick to DooM.
FreeSpaceMods.net | FatHax | ??????
In the wise words of Charles de Gaulle, "China is a big country, inhabited by many Chinese."

Formerly known as Swantz

Doom is for frickin' N00Bs!

Marathon rulez!
And this ain't no ****. But don't quote me for that one. - Mika

I shall rrreach worrrld domination!

Offline Vidmaster

• Inventor of FS2 bullettime ;-)
right Stones.      And try RubiconX  :nod:
Devoted member of the Official Karajorma Fan Club (Founded and Led by Mobius).

Does crazy Software Engineering for a living, until he finally musters the courage to start building games for real. Might never happen.

http://forums.newdoom.com/showthread.php?t=34108

What a ****ing bunch of idiots.

Marathon's level design is not confusing, it is realistic. Not everything is made out of stone (see Doom), you can actually look up and down... argh, I just can't describe it.

Offline Ransom

• M. Night Russel
  • It will not wait.
    • Rate of Injury
Some of the levels are a little confusing, but no more than some of Doom's. I never found it to be much of an issue.

I'm playing for the story, in any case.

Offline achtung

• ****in' Ace
    • Minecraft
    • Freespacemods.net
http://forums.newdoom.com/showthread.php?t=34108

What a ****ing bunch of idiots.

Marathon's level design is not confusing, it is realistic. Not everything is made out of stone (see Doom), you can actually look up and down... argh, I just can't describe it.

Newdoom isn't much.

Doomworld is the only place worth listening to.
In the wise words of Charles de Gaulle, "China is a big country, inhabited by many Chinese."

Formerly known as Swantz

Hey Ive got nothing against doom.  Its a fine game. But I also don't it think its too much to ask to be able to shoot up and down.  This auto aim over the y axis sort of takes a bit of the fun out it.  Marathon always trumped doom with that.   Right now the Alephone project is allot more advanced then doom ever was. And imo  its allot better then the Marathon 2 remake on xbox live.  Checkout the way they do multiplayer!

Offline achtung

• ****in' Ace
    • Minecraft
    • Freespacemods.net
Hey Ive got nothing against doom.  Its a fine game. But I also don't it think its too much to ask to be able to shoot up and down.  This auto aim over the y axis sort of takes a bit of the fun out it.  Marathon always trumped doom with that.   Right now the Alephone project is allot more advanced then doom ever was. And imo  its allot better then the Marathon 2 remake on xbox live.  Checkout the way they do multiplayer!

Yo.

Want multiplayer?
« Last Edit: June 26, 2008, 07:25:38 am by Swantz »

Formerly known as Swantz

D00M N00B. :rolleyes:

Looks like I need to pack out my SMG and slaughter Pfhor, someone should modify the units with a Doom Guy GFX pack, slaughtering hundreds of Doom Guys with sophisticated weaponry and technology must be fun.

I didn't say Doom didn't have an internet multilayer setup going on. In fact they have had for over a decade.   I'm not as fond of it, but that's just me. I was referring to the Alephone's multilayer is setup and how its built right into the game engine. You just click Search for Internet Game and It takes you directly to the mariusnet.com's  arival room trough an in-game client; how that is MUCH better laid out then FS2.net setup we have. (FS2O developers should take a look at what they've (treellama) done for possible ideas ;))

On a plus note, unlike doom, you dont have to buy or steal (to many people do :ick:) the game files to play, as Bungie graciously released all three games to the public for free.

Offline achtung

• ****in' Ace
    • Minecraft
    • Freespacemods.net

Looks like I need to pack out my SMG and slaughter Pfhor, someone should modify the units with a Doom Guy GFX pack, slaughtering hundreds of Doom Guys with sophisticated weaponry and technology must be fun.

Ok, ok, doom's for "n00bs" apparently.  I'll stop pinching your fanboy nerve.   :doubt:
« Last Edit: June 27, 2008, 01:01:51 am by Swantz »

Formerly known as Swantz

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
  • i wonder when my postcount will exceed my iq
And thus is begins that me and general whateverhisnameis are no longer the only people on HLP who know about marathon... I don't know whether or not to be upset or happy  :p

Me.

Also, er, why is it good to be the only one who knows about it?

Some of the levels are a little confusing, but no more than some of Doom's. I never found it to be much of an issue.

I'm playing for the story, in any case.

Agreed. The story is what elevates Marathon far beyond Doom and the other early FPS contenders. At least one man (Hamish Sinclair) has spent more than a decade cataloging the twists, allusions, references, and possibilities inside the story.

Ok, ok, doom's for "n00bs" apparently.  I'll stop pinching your fanboy nerve.   :doubt:

It was more the arrogant way you said it, but oh well, so did I.