Author Topic: Freespace v.s. Star Wars Requirements  (Read 22375 times)

Offline Spicious

• Master Chief John-158
Re: Freespace v.s. Star Wars Requirements
Please elaborate on why they're different. Laser cannons fire lasers by definition and lasers are made of photons.

If you're going to have a cry about them not actually being lasers, then you may wish to think about how a beam of photons would appear.

Offline ShadowGorrath

• Not funny or clever
But they're not lasers. Lasers are beams. These are plasma, and called lasers only because SW is ancient.

Offline NGTM-1R

• I reject your reality and substitute my own
  • Syndral Active. 0410.
Now if you were talking blasters, that would be a coherent argument. But you aren't, so it isn't.
"Load sabot. Target Zaku, direct front!"

A Feddie Story

Offline Spicious

• Master Chief John-158
Please demonstrate a beam of photons travelling through a vacuum observable from the sides.

1. Photon beam cannons dont need to fire photons, as baby oil isnt required to be made out of babys (though sesame oil is required to be made out of sesame). Note that Lasers (like mounted on fighters) arent shield piercing.
2. Neutrinos for example are matter piericing, meaning: They simple fly through, (nearly) without any interaction. Even if some Aliens come and build their own ships, that wont change, neutrinos are (nearly) flying through ALL matter.
As a result, its not unreasonable to say that FS beams are piercing SW shields as well.
Its not certain that the shield piercing abilities against FS shields is just a major flaw of those either.

Well..... its all freaking fiction, not like someone like Alastair Reynolds put some serious scientific thought in these fictional universes.

Offline Spicious

• Master Chief John-158
You're suggesting that photon beam cannons fire neutrinos?
Neutrinos might pierce the shields, but they are extremely unlikely to actually interact with the ship. They also wouldn't emit light in all directions. In any case, it would be called a particle beam, which is a much more consistent description.

Fighter mounted 'lasers' obviously are not really lasers. They travel at a few times the speed of sound in air.
For that matter, neither are SW lasers, nor are FS beams.

So again, evidence please.

You're suggesting that photon beam cannons fire neutrinos?
No, I suggest that the given counter arguments are void.

It can be a basic law for beamweapons to penetrate any energyfield without loss, and different technologies wont be able to change that.

Of course we can say if its real that FS beams can penetrate DW shields:
Its not, cause  both are only fiction.
Illogical fiction without a lot of continuity and real world physics.

In the end its always up to the author which he likes better.

You can only argue what decisions of the author contradicts all given canon the least.
FS beams being shield piercing violates neither SW canon nor FS canon.
However, FS beams being not shield piercing against a different shield technolgy doesnt really violate SW canon or FS canon either. (at least only very very slightly)

My statements earlier were meant to show that special shield piercing weapons are not violating sw canon.

Offline Colonol Dekker

• HLP is my mistress
  • Aken Tigh Dekker- you've probably heard me
    • My old squad sub-domain
This will never reach a resolve.
There's simply no basis for comparison.
Except we're (GTVA) better. .
 Just kidding, photon beams aren't laser beams or the tech room and command would say "Fire the laser beams!!" wouldn't they.
Although the deathstar superlaser or Suncrusher would probably finish the GTVA off. (One squid cruiser exed at the battle of Endor with one shot and shields raised)
Campaigns I've added my distinctiveness to-
- Blue Planet: Battle Captains
-Battle of Neptune
-Between the Ashes 2
-Blue planet: Age of Aquarius
-FOTG?
-Inferno R1
-Ribos: The aftermath / -Retreat from Deneb
-Sol: A History
-TBP EACW teaser
-Earth Brakiri war
-TBP Fortune Hunters (I think?)
-TBP Relic
-Trancsend (Possibly?)
-Uncharted Territory
-Vassagos Dirge
-War Machine
(Others lost to the mists of time and no discernible audit trail)

Your friendly Orestes tactical controller.

Secret bomb God.
That one time I got permabanned and got to read who was being bitxhy about me :p....
GO GO DEKKER RANGERSSSS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
President of the Scooby Doo Model Appreciation Society
The only good Zod is a dead Zod
NEWGROUNDS COMEDY GOLD, UPDATED DAILY
http://badges.steamprofile.com/profile/default/steam/76561198011784807.png

Ya, plus the shield issue is virtually impossible to solve.  Too many no limits fallacy.  If they can pierce the shields then it'd be a worthwhile battle, if they can't piece, then I don't think theres anything in freespace that would cause a major problem for the empire. 

Honestly I don't what other verses would be good against freespace.  I was going to mention hammerverse, but they use TT level weaponary  :blah: 
And anything higher would walk all over the shivans
That's cool and ....disturbing at the same time o_o  - Vasudan Admiral

"Don't play games with me. You just killed someone I like, that is not a safe place to stand. I'm the Doctor. And you're in the biggest library in the universe. Look me up."

"Quick everyone out of the universe now!"

Offline jr2

• The Mail Man
  • It's prounounced jayartoo 0x6A7232
    • Steam
Ya, plus the shield issue is virtually impossible to solve.  Too many no limits fallacy.  If they can pierce the shields then it'd be a worthwhile battle, if they can't piece, then I don't think theres anything in freespace that would cause a major problem for the empire. 

This is why it makes sense to have beams pierce SW shields: it's the only way it's going to work.  Otherwise, you get "ZOMG, all bow before the mighty Empire <insert Ewok worship chant here>, the Empire pwnz all!!"  Which is extremely boring from either side of the fight: you either always lose, or always win.  Note how quickly the GTA reverse-engineered the Shivan shield tech.  The reason could technically be because we were already playing around with shield tech and had half an idea of what to look for (GTI shield array mentioned somewhere), but the real reason was because shielded Shivans = endgame for the GTA / PVN; it'd be exactly like GTVA vs Imperials.  No contest.  boooooring.  :P

Offline Snail

• SC 5
(GTI shield array mentioned somewhere)
Yeah, the MX-50 tech description mentions that.

"ZOMG, all bow before the mighty Empire <insert Ewok worship chant here>, the Empire pwnz all!!"
:yes: