Author Topic: Bots in LAN Team Games?  (Read 2509 times)

Offline TigerVX

Bots in LAN Team Games?
I finally got some of my friends into Freespace 2 and we've been playing around in coop games so far, because in a dogfight or team I'd wipe the floor with them (I rack up 40+ kills on Gauntlet, they get 10 or less). Theres more then a couple amusing coop games, but I was wondering if there was a way to play team games and have all of us on one team, with all the other fighter slots filled up with bots? This seems like it wouldn't be so far fetched to me since in coop all the spare slots are made up of AI's, so is it possible in team? Thanks!

Offline FUBAR-BDHR

• Self-Propelled Trouble Magnet
  • Master Drunk
    • 165th Beer Drinking Hell Raisers
Re: Bots in LAN Team Games?
Nope at least one player has to be on the other team in a TvT.  If your that good put all of them on the other team and send your AI home C30. 
No-one ever listens to Zathras. Quite mad, they say. It is good that Zathras does not mind. He's even grown to like it. Oh yes. -Zathras

Offline karajorma

• King Louie - Jungle VIP
  • Administrator
    • Karajorma's Freespace FAQ
You could edit the mission in FRED to be a Coop and resave it under another name. :)

I've never actually done it but off the top of my head all that would be required would be removing the Player Ship option from every ship in Zeta wing, giving the wing a much higher repeat count and changing the mission type in mission specs.
Karajorma's Freespace FAQ. It's almost like asking me yourself.

[ Diaspora ] - [ Seeds Of Rebellion ] - [ Mind Games ]

Offline Shade

I could see a case for someday allowing playerless teams in TvT, but it shouldn't save stats. Just like how you can play coops alone but won't get points either.
Report FS_Open bugs with Mantis  |  Find the latest FS_Open builds Here  |  Interested in FRED? Check out the Wiki's FRED Portal | Diaspora: Website / Forums
"Oooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooh ****ing great. 2200 references to entry->index and no idea which is the one that ****ed up" - Karajorma
"We are all agreed that your theory is crazy. The question that divides us is whether it is crazy enough to have a chance of being correct." - Niels Bohr
<Cobra|> You play this mission too intelligently.

Offline karajorma

• Administrator
Right now it would require far more coding than it's worth in order to work though.

Offline Blue Lion

• Star Shatterer
Isn't that basically just a coop mission?

Offline TigerVX

Yeah pretty much, its nice to have simplicity though over the normal coop missions where you and a Fenris Cruiser fend off wave after wave of Ravana Destroyers =P

I'm pretty handy with FRED though, so I bet I can do what Karajorma advised, thanks for the help!

Offline FUBAR-BDHR

• Master Drunk
If it crashes when you make it a coop change the name of the enemy wing to something other than Zeta.  Not sure if that bug has been fixed or not but coop missions didn't like Zeta as a wing name. 

One other problem is that the enemy wing won't spawn like a TvT.  You may want to make 4 dummy wings with 1 ship in each so they spawn immediately when killed. 
No-one ever listens to Zathras. Quite mad, they say. It is good that Zathras does not mind. He's even grown to like it. Oh yes. -Zathras

Offline karajorma

• Administrator
Or just set the wave threshold for Zeta to 2. :)

It's not quite as good since now two ships have to die before 4 more appear but it should be close enough in difficulty to be interesting.

Offline FUBAR-BDHR

• Master Drunk
Even better make them friendly player ships then just have an event at mission start to set them to hostile.