Author Topic: Playing on LAN  (Read 1930 times)

Offline ssmit132

• Also known as "Typhlomence"
    • Steam
    • Twitter
Since I'm at a bit of a loss when It comes to networking stuff, I have a few questions about LAN multiplayer games:

• If computers are connected into a network and the FreeSpace 2 Launcher (not the launcher for FSO) is set to 'LAN/Direct Connection', will I need to do anything else to be able to play multiplayer with FSO?
  • My friend said that he might have to connect our laptops through the Internet (don't know how it works  :confused:), would FSO be able to play over it?
  • Since my friend hasn't got Freespace 2 yet, if we had different builds (I'll try and get him a 3.6.10 build, like I have) and/or different Media VPs, how much will it affect play? (I've got the 3_6_10-20071028T build but have the 3.6.8 Zeta (IIRC) Media VPs (mv_core, mv_textures, mv_effects, mp-710_effects, and Lightspeed's Nebulae).)

Thanks for your help.  :)

Offline FUBAR-BDHR

• Self-Propelled Trouble Magnet
  • Master Drunk
    • 165th Beer Drinking Hell Raisers
If computers are connected into a network and the FreeSpace 2 Launcher (not the launcher for FSO) is set to 'LAN/Direct Connection', will I need to do anything else to be able to play multiplayer with FSO?

Possibly uncheck PXO in the multi config tab.  From the lobby press F2 then under multi tab uncheck PXO.  If you have an internet connection you should be fine without doing this.

[My friend said that he might have to connect our laptops through the Internet (don't know how it works  :confused:), would FSO be able to play over it?

Yes.  You can even play with other people across the world if they are online at the time.  Scheduled games are stickied at the top of this forum.

Since my friend hasn't got Freespace 2 yet, if we had different builds (I'll try and get him a 3.6.10 build, like I have) and/or different Media VPs, how much will it affect play? (I've got the 3_6_10-20071028T build but have the 3.6.8 Zeta (IIRC) Media VPs (mv_core, mv_textures, mv_effects, mp-710_effects, and Lightspeed's Nebulae).)

In order to do network play both of you will need to be running either 3.6.9 or 3.6.10.  You can't mix.  If you are running with MediaVP's you're stats won't save (doesn't really matter if you're not playing on FS2netD).  Either way your best bet is to both be using the same version of FS2_Open and the appropriate MediaVP's.

No-one ever listens to Zathras. Quite mad, they say. It is good that Zathras does not mind. He's even grown to like it. Oh yes. -Zathras

Offline ssmit132

• Also known as "Typhlomence"
    • Steam
    • Twitter
Thanks, I just wanted to clarify.

And I'm not worried about stats for the moment, and won't be playing online yet (maybe when/if I get broadband internet instead of dial-up).

Offline karajorma

• King Louie - Jungle VIP
  • Administrator
    • Karajorma's Freespace FAQ
My friend said that he might have to connect our laptops through the Internet (don't know how it works  :confused:), would FSO be able to play over it?

From the sound of it he's talking about some kind of Vitual Private Networking solution like Hamachi. With those you simply log in to the VPN and then it's as if the laptop was on your LAN (On a slow connection of course) :)
Karajorma's Freespace FAQ. It's almost like asking me yourself.

[ Diaspora ] - [ Seeds Of Rebellion ] - [ Mind Games ]

Offline colecampbell666

• I See Dead Pictures
  • Evolution and ascension.
Simply get yourselves each the 3.6.10 build in my signature, and use that. Whoever has the fastest PC/connection simply hosts a game, but first you have to forward port 7808 on his router. (I know that you are in the same spot, but one of you could be connecting through a cable, which would generally be faster)

the other person simply has to join the game.
Gettin' back to dodgin' lasers.