Author Topic: Best Random Buy  (Read 12950 times)

Offline NGTM-1R

• I reject your reality and substitute my own
  • Syndral Active. 0410.
In fact, the Cry Engine from Crysis is not "****ty", it's a masterpiece.

Creating an engine that no current PC can run is not a masterpiece, it is stupidity. :P
"Load sabot. Target Zaku, direct front!"

A Feddie Story

Offline Androgeos Exeunt

• Captain Oblivious
  • Prevents attraction.
    • Wordpress.com Blog
Creating an engine that no current PC can run is not a masterpiece, it is stupidity. :P

Precisely. Why do you think I still play old games like Tyrian 2000 or Little Fighter 2? :p
My blog

Quote: Tuesday, 3 October 2023 0133 UTC +8, #general
MP-Ryan
Oh you still believe in fairy tales like Santa, the Easter Bunny, and free market competition principles?

My best shot-in-the-dark buy ever was Descent: FreeSpace, I never bought FreeSpace2, I installed my friends FS2 cds and then cracked it.

Offline Androgeos Exeunt

• Captain Oblivious
  • Prevents attraction.
    • Wordpress.com Blog
...I installed my friends FS2 cds and then cracked it.

:wtf:

I don't think the FreeSpace 2 CDs need cracking. I got mine from BitTorrent.
My blog

MP-Ryan
Oh you still believe in fairy tales like Santa, the Easter Bunny, and free market competition principles?

Offline Mefustae

• Chevron locked...
Um, yes. It's one of the most comprehensive and addictive strategy games ever made.
Civ doesn't appeal to me from the screenshots I've seen, I've seen a few with huge soldiers and ****. I don't like that kind of thing.
So you're discounting one of the most successful and wildly popular strategy games of the past two decades because of screenshots!? Double-you tee eff, mate.

Civ (any) doesn't appeal to me because a single [expletive removed] spearman can take down a modern tank.
Someone hasn't played Civ4. :rolleyes:

But, no, you're right. Totally right. Just like how I don't enjoy the Half Life series because you can't change your gun hand to favour lefties. Yay! Let's find other quality games we can ignore for asinine reasons. :)

Offline Androgeos Exeunt

• Captain Oblivious
  • Prevents attraction.
    • Wordpress.com Blog
You could start a new thread on that. ;)
My blog

MP-Ryan

...I installed my friends FS2 cds and then cracked it.

I don't think the FreeSpace 2 CDs need cracking. I got mine from BitTorrent.

Yes, Retail FS2 needs cracking... I got FS2 from my friend about 2 months after it came out, took me about another month to find a crack. If you dont believe me, run FS2.exe (NOT FS2_Open) and try to play the main FS2 campaign without a cd.

Offline Androgeos Exeunt

• Captain Oblivious
  • Prevents attraction.
    • Wordpress.com Blog
...run FS2.exe (NOT FS2_Open) and try to play the main FS2 campaign without a cd.

...oh, you mean cracking in THAT sense. I was thinking that FS2 had some sort of product key or copy protection like the one in Freelancer.

In that sense, yes, you need a no-CD crack. :nod:
My blog

MP-Ryan

Offline Stormkeeper

• Interviewer Extraordinaire
  • Boomz!
I am an avid RTS fan, yet I feel ashamed to say I've never played Civ[any] before.

... Damnit, my ears are ringing with blaster fire.
Ancient-Shivan War|Interview Board

Member of the Scooby Doo Fanclub. And we're not talking a cartoon dog here people!!

Offline Roanoke

Well I wouldn't worry as, last I checked, Civ isn't an RTS. It's pure strategy.

Offline BloodEagle

• Bleeding Paradox!
    • Steam
Civ isn't an RTS. It's pure strategy.

Offline Colonol Dekker

• HLP is my mistress
  • Aken Tigh Dekker- you've probably heard me
    • My old squad sub-domain
Civ is turn based. . . .not real time.
And it's not that fun if C&C is your flava.
Campaigns I've added my distinctiveness to-
- Blue Planet: Battle Captains
-Battle of Neptune
-Between the Ashes 2
-Blue planet: Age of Aquarius
-FOTG?
-Inferno R1
-Ribos: The aftermath / -Retreat from Deneb
-Sol: A History
-TBP EACW teaser
-Earth Brakiri war
-TBP Fortune Hunters (I think?)
-TBP Relic
-Trancsend (Possibly?)
-Uncharted Territory
-Vassagos Dirge
-War Machine
(Others lost to the mists of time and no discernible audit trail)

Your friendly Orestes tactical controller.

Secret bomb God.
That one time I got permabanned and got to read who was being bitxhy about me :p....
GO GO DEKKER RANGERSSSS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
President of the Scooby Doo Model Appreciation Society
The only good Zod is a dead Zod
NEWGROUNDS COMEDY GOLD, UPDATED DAILY
http://badges.steamprofile.com/profile/default/steam/76561198011784807.png

Offline BloodEagle

• Bleeding Paradox!
    • Steam
Civ (any) doesn't appeal to me because a single [expletive removed] spearman can take down a modern tank.
Someone hasn't played Civ4. :rolleyes:

But, no, you're right. Totally right. Just like how I don't enjoy the Half Life series because you can't change your gun hand to favour lefties. Yay! Let's find other quality games we can ignore for asinine reasons. :)

So game balance is a foolish thing to be upset about?  :rolleyes:

Best random buy?

A little gem on the N64 called Mischief Makers.

On the surface, it is ridiculous and silly in all ways. You play as a cyborg maid who attacks things by throwing things (think a much more advanced version of SMB2's combat), and must constantly rescue your creator who keeps getting kidnapped by the Evil Empire (seriously). Gameplay includes lots of shaking objects, boss fights, obstacle courses and one or two collect-a-thons... you even fight one boss riding on the back of a housecat whom you'd previously defeated in a dodgeball match!

But, the hell of it is, this game is FUN! None of it makes any sense, but who cares? You get to throw things around and cause mayhem! You get to fight a group of Power Ranger wannabes! You get to fight an overly-cliched supervillain! You get to defeat housecats in dodgeball! And it's fun! :D
"You need to believe in things that aren't true. How else can they become?" -DEATH, Discworld

"You can fight like a krogan, run like a leopard, but you'll never be better than Commander Shepard!"

Offline Narwhal

• Campaign List Crusader
Best random buy for me is Original War. It was in a pack with Fallout Tactics I wanted, and some game that was really, really terrible, the pack for like 49 Francs (about 8€)

You probably never heard of it, OW was a RTS with - unfortunatly for it - poor graphics and an awesome plot and gameplay.

What I liked is that it was a RTS with a limited number of guys for the whole campaign. Basically, USSR and US (and some other guys, but spoiler) sent an handful of troops back in time to secure an all-powerful ressources, the Alaskite/Siberite (depending on the time continuum). So you've got those few guys, with exp. points, level, and stuff, and you won't get any more, so preserve them. Same for the guys in front of you (even though they start with more people in the campaign).

Anyway, that was one of the best game I ever played. Top 5 in my book, and much better than Fallout Tactics (which was not that good anyway - but it was the reason I bought OW)

As for more famous game, Vietcong I
« Last Edit: August 13, 2008, 11:02:48 am by Narwhal »

Offline NGTM-1R

• I reject your reality and substitute my own
  • Syndral Active. 0410.
So game balance is a foolish thing to be upset about?  :rolleyes:

Abyssina, Italian efforts to put down a rebellion. Look it up. Essentially it did happen. :P
"Load sabot. Target Zaku, direct front!"

A Feddie Story

Offline Kosh

• A year behind what's funny
Um, yes. It's one of the most comprehensive and addictive strategy games ever made.
Civ doesn't appeal to me from the screenshots I've seen, I've seen a few with huge soldiers and ****. I don't like that kind of thing.

Spearmen armed with plastik, mind you. :D

But seriously, Civ 4 supposedly fixed this problem, but I haven't played it. I liked Alpha Centauri better because you can customize your unit designs, this way you (probably) wont have a situation like one modern tank vs. another modern tank. Plus the factions were far more dynamic. Even the AI seems better and doesn't cheat quite so much. I've actually seen it launch coordinated offensives, establish front lines, although it does have some trouble using the navy for anything except shore bombardment (and it's amphibious assaults/invasions could use some work). Rant over.

"The reason for this is that the original Fortran got so convoluted and extensive (10's of millions of lines of code) that no-one can actually figure out how it works, there's a massive project going on to decode the original Fortran and write a more modern system, but until then, the UK communication network is actually relying heavily on 35 year old Fortran that nobody understands." - Flipside

Brain I/O error
Replace and press any key

for me, definetly Blitzkrieg. got it several years ago, the day i got my braces, ad i still play it almost every day.
Sig nuked! New one coming soon!

Offline MP-Ryan

• Makes General Discussion Make Sense.
  • Global Moderator
  • Keyboard > Pen > Sword
    • Twitter
Yes, Retail FS2 needs cracking... I got FS2 from my friend about 2 months after it came out, took me about another month to find a crack. If you dont believe me, run FS2.exe (NOT FS2_Open) and try to play the main FS2 campaign without a cd.

Here's an idea... run the 1.2 patch, then delete the retail EXE.  Insert FSOpen EXE.  Run game.

Voila!
"In the beginning, the Universe was created.  This made a lot of people very angry and has widely been regarded as a bad move."  [Douglas Adams]

Offline Ghostavo

• Let it be glue!
    • Twitter

Spearmen armed with plastik, mind you. :D

But seriously, Civ 4 supposedly fixed this problem, but I haven't played it. I liked Alpha Centauri better because you can customize your unit designs, this way you (probably) wont have a situation like one modern tank vs. another modern tank. Plus the factions were far more dynamic. Even the AI seems better and doesn't cheat quite so much. I've actually seen it launch coordinated offensives, establish front lines, although it does have some trouble using the navy for anything except shore bombardment (and it's amphibious assaults/invasions could use some work). Rant over.

I'm kinda sad that they didn't use all those things Alpha Centauri introduced, like the weather system and the movable tile system.
"Closing the Box" - a campaign in the making :nervous:

Shrike is a dirty dirty admin, he's the destroyer of souls... oh god, let it be glue...