Author Topic: Stupid VC++  (Read 4539 times)

Offline blackhole

• Still not over the rainbow
  • Destiny can suck it
    • Black Sphere Studios
Error   1   error C2440: 'return' : cannot convert from 'PlaneShader::cLinkedListNode<T> *' to 'PlaneShader::cLinkedListNode<T> *'

I had this error once.

The reason was I used a template that couldnt be resolved during compiletime, but only during runtime. Thats impossible either, so the compiler reported an error.
As you are also using templates, maybe check for this?

Offline blackhole

• Destiny can suck it
    • Black Sphere Studios
The problem was actually that I had an unnessacary indirection; not that hard to find, but still funny :P

Offline WMCoolmon

• Purveyor of space crack
Reminds me of the time I spent several hours debugging code only to find the problem was that I had &'d a * to make it a **, but the function was still accepting it and assumed it was a *.
-C

Offline blackhole

• Destiny can suck it
    • Black Sphere Studios
I once had an issue with a pointer losing information because the class it was originally created in was destroyed and the pointer was only stored as its base class. Drove me crazy for almost 3 days.

Offline blackhole

• Destiny can suck it
    • Black Sphere Studios
Since when did I know chinese?

Offline WMCoolmon

ちゅぅごくじん は ァメリカじん の コンピュタ を もつて ぃますか
« Last Edit: August 09, 2008, 10:11:29 pm by WMCoolmon »
-C

Well, why not? Its not like export of computers is forbidden in the USA, or import forbidden in China :)

B2topic, I regularly have problems with VC++ that are solved as I make a complete recompile - it really drove me crazy at first, as the error was not in my code, but in some intermediate file that didnt get updated properly. And I spent hours checking what I did wrong...
« Last Edit: August 10, 2008, 06:57:54 am by Uchuujinsan »

Offline blackhole

• Destiny can suck it
    • Black Sphere Studios
B2topic, I regularly have problems with VC++ that are solved as I make a complete recompile - it really drove me crazy at first, as the error was not in my code, but in some intermediate file that didnt get updated properly. And I spent hours checking what I did wrong...

And that is why, when in doubt, I clean and rebuild from scratch.

Offline Flipside

• əp!sd!l£
My biggest weakness is lack of knowledge on how to use the compiler, the languages themselves obey the same rules they ever did, but the Compiler is like the deck of the sodding Enterprise :(

Offline karajorma

• King Louie - Jungle VIP
  • Administrator
    • Karajorma's Freespace FAQ

And that is why, when in doubt, I clean and rebuild from scratch.

Yep.

But you shouldn't have to.
Karajorma's Freespace FAQ. It's almost like asking me yourself.

[ Diaspora ] - [ Seeds Of Rebellion ] - [ Mind Games ]

Offline WMCoolmon

Well, why not? Its not like export of computers is forbidden in the USA, or import forbidden in China :)

One thing I've noticed that could be an issue is files that are named the same thing, but are in different folders in the code tree, but get put in the same intermediate folder when build occurs.
-C

Offline karajorma

• King Louie - Jungle VIP
  • Administrator
    • Karajorma's Freespace FAQ
This classifies as a minor annoyance more than anything but I had SEXP.cpp open in VC2005. I edited the file using an external program to change something. VC2005 detects the change as soon as I focus the window and asks me if I want to reload, which I do. I hit F5 to debug and instantly up comes FS2_open.

So wait. VC is smart enough to monitor any open files constantly and figure out that I've changed them to second I have but isn't smart enough to figure out that if I've changed a file I'll need to compile it! :rolleyes: :D
Karajorma's Freespace FAQ. It's almost like asking me yourself.

[ Diaspora ] - [ Seeds Of Rebellion ] - [ Mind Games ]