Author Topic: RELEASE - Monsoon (mission) v0.1  (Read 1859 times)

Offline Romanmolf

• n00b... And loving it
RELEASE - Monsoon (mission) v0.1
Monsoon v.0.2 has been released!
http://www.hard-light.net/forums/index.php/topic,55956.0.html

I have released the Monsoon mission; it has been attached to the end of this post.

Nothing TOO fancy but you'll like it.

For those who may not know how to install it :

- Extract the contents of the .zip file to C:\GAMES\FREESPACE2\DATA\MISSIONS

Notes :

- needs fsopen 3.6.9.

Enjoy!  ;) ;) ;)
« Last Edit: October 26, 2008, 06:24:03 am by Romanmolf »

Re: RELEASE - Monsoon (mission) v0.1
As much as I love slaughtering dozens of mindless Nahemas and Manticores, I feel the single mission is highly underrated and every one should be made the best it can be.

So,

-First off I have absolutely no motivation to complete my objectives. Generally in the FreeSpace universe the game is that command threatens Alpha 1 enough to make him fear not completing his objectives rather than making him do them for his own good, but this lacked either.

+-I actually really liked how close quarter much of the fighter was. Found myself ducking in and out of the nooks and crannies of the Orion to take down the bomber and cruisers which effectively spiced up and otherwise very simple battle. However, it could have used some balancing of things out, like maybe some Shivans attacking the Arcadia.

-Once the Cains are gone, each wave of enemies becomes increasingly identical. To exacerbate the feeling of extreme repetition, there is no noticeable chatter aside from the typical "Help meeeeee!"s and "Ordinance depleted, calling in support!"s.

-Normally the arrival of a giant metal lobster is going to give me a bit of a start, but in this case, it came at such a peaceful time during the mission that it failed to intensify the situation at all. In addition, I straight up laughed when command squeaked its very unprofessional 'Good god, we're all going to die' sort of thing. Don't remember exactly what. That was the sort of thing I would have expected to see in FS1, and the purging of it in FS2 was a good move.

+I loved how right away in the mission the two big ships are nicely and realistically askew. Little things like this do wonder for the overall quality of a mission.

Can't think of anything else right now aside from maybe some ship variation but that's not that important. Overall, nicely done. I look forward to playing newer versions if they're made.   

Offline karajorma

• King Louie - Jungle VIP
  • Administrator
    • Karajorma's Freespace FAQ
BTW, you don't need to include the .bak file. .bak is a backup of the previous version of the mission. It's useful if you or FRED screw up and you need an older version of the mission. :)
Karajorma's Freespace FAQ. It's almost like asking me yourself.

[ Diaspora ] - [ Seeds Of Rebellion ] - [ Mind Games ]

Offline Romanmolf

• n00b... And loving it
It was a big surprise for me to get a reply on this one. :eek2:  Anyway, thanks!

As for the advice, I'll keep it in mind on my next mission (already working on it)!  :nod:

I'm also planning to do a campain based on ''Monsoon''

expect more from me on this board in the future.