Author Topic: Z-95 Headhunter Mark II WIP  (Read 10587 times)

Offline FUBAR-BDHR

• Self-Propelled Trouble Magnet
  • Master Drunk
    • 165th Beer Drinking Hell Raisers
Re: Z-95 Headhunter Mark II WIP
Strange but he's right.  I looked at it earlier on my other computer and it looked great.  Now on this computer it looks too green. 

I did notice one other small item but it's probably a POV issue.  The right wing doesn't seem as long as the left.   
No-one ever listens to Zathras. Quite mad, they say. It is good that Zathras does not mind. He's even grown to like it. Oh yes. -Zathras

Offline maje

The colors of Pash's Z-95 are green and red.  This is mentioned in Wedge's Gamble.  I admit I could be mistaken as I just kind of made up my own design using green as the primary color with red being used for the stripes and markings.
Deuternomy 22:11 explained:

Well there are many different speculations going on about this law about not mixing fibers and at least one explanation claims that it was a symbolic gesture designed to keep a pure sense of culture, people, and religion.  Seperation of crop  in the vinyard, mentioned in Dt. 22:9 and 22:10 seem to reaffirm this idea, though there may be other reasons as well.

And now, an excerpt from the Prayer of Mordecai, the Book of Esther Chapter C (New American Bible Official Catholic version).

Est C:5  You know all things.  You know, O Lord, that it was not out of insolence or pride or desire for fame that I acted thus in not bowing down to the proud Haman.  6  Gladly would I have kissed the soles of his feet for the salvation of Israel.  7  But I acted as I did so as not to place the honor of man above that of God.  I will not bow down to anyone but you, my Lord.  It is not out of pride that I am acting thus.

Offline Snail

• SC 5
It's Christmas!

Offline aRaven

the model is great! The texture not so much...

the green really needs to be more grey/orangish

Offline Galemp

• Actual father of Samus
  • Ask me about GORT!
    • Steam
    • User page on the FreeSpace Wiki
I understand it's supposed to be green and red, but right now it looks like it was dipped in a bucket of green paint, then given red trim. Consider if you were the Rebel engineer assigned to paint this Z-95... would you get out your fine-tipped brush and coat the insides of the engine nacelles? Probably not.

Start with a gray/tan base coat like the X-Wing, then paint large areas green (the wings, the nose, around the cockpit) while leaving things like the nosecone, engines and lasers in the base color. Then apply the red stripes where they are now.
"Anyone can do any amount of work, provided it isn't the work he's supposed to be doing at that moment." -- Robert Benchley

Members I've personally met: RedStreblo, Goober5000, Sandwich, Splinter, Su-tehp, Hippo, CP5670, Terran Emperor, Karajorma, Dekker, McCall, Admiral Wolf, mxlm, RedSniper, Stealth, Black Wolf...

Offline maje

Okay, I changed it around a bit.

Keep in mind that the Rogue Squadron customs like Wedge's and Tycho's fighters are almost an entirely different paint scheme than the traditional X-wings (Wedge's base coat is black and Tycho's is red), and that's kind of what I had originally drew inspiration from when working on Pash's Headhunter.

I'm not really sure how to go about Corran's since his Z-95 is black and gold (which incidentally are the colors for Wedge's X-wing).

[attachment deleted by admin]

Well there are many different speculations going on about this law about not mixing fibers and at least one explanation claims that it was a symbolic gesture designed to keep a pure sense of culture, people, and religion.  Seperation of crop  in the vinyard, mentioned in Dt. 22:9 and 22:10 seem to reaffirm this idea, though there may be other reasons as well.

And now, an excerpt from the Prayer of Mordecai, the Book of Esther Chapter C (New American Bible Official Catholic version).

Est C:5  You know all things.  You know, O Lord, that it was not out of insolence or pride or desire for fame that I acted thus in not bowing down to the proud Haman.  6  Gladly would I have kissed the soles of his feet for the salvation of Israel.  7  But I acted as I did so as not to place the honor of man above that of God.  I will not bow down to anyone but you, my Lord.  It is not out of pride that I am acting thus.

Offline chief1983

• Still lacks a custom title
  • ⬇️⬆️⬅️⬅️🅰➡️⬇️
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
    • Fate of the Galaxy
Both are interesting, I think I would almost like something between the two, with the green just being not quite as dark as it was originally.  And I also agree that the insides of the nacelles should be painted differently, even if the reference pics don't usually do it, they're mostly kind of bland anyway.  Many of the sources you're using probably skipped out on additional colors for stuff like that, but you have the ability to use all you want since you're not under any deadline.
Fate of the Galaxy - Now Hiring!  Apply within | Diaspora | SCP Home | Collada Importer for PCS2
Karajorma's 'How to report bugs' | Mantis
#freespace | #scp-swc | #diaspora | #SCP | #hard-light on EsperNet

"You may not sell or otherwise commercially exploit the source or things you created based on the source." -- Excerpt from FSO license, for reference

Nuclear1:  Jesus Christ zack you're a little too hamyurger for HLP right now...
iamzack:  i dont have hamynerge i just want ptatoc hips D:
redsniper:  Platonic hips?!
iamzack:  lays

Offline maje

Well for the time being, I'm just going to take a break and model the cockpit interior and do the LOD models since they still need to be done.  Most of the texturing is completed, barring the addition of several details, tweaking weathering effects, and various flight group markings/color schemes.

I actually have a deadline for the end of September to have everything finished, but hopefully I'll be done closer to the end of August.

Offline Galemp

• Actual father of Samus
  • Ask me about GORT!
    • Steam
    • User page on the FreeSpace Wiki
Looks much better, but I'm going to agree with Chief; somewhere between the 15% green you have now and the 100% green you had then would be great.
"Anyone can do any amount of work, provided it isn't the work he's supposed to be doing at that moment." -- Robert Benchley

Members I've personally met: RedStreblo, Goober5000, Sandwich, Splinter, Su-tehp, Hippo, CP5670, Terran Emperor, Karajorma, Dekker, McCall, Admiral Wolf, mxlm, RedSniper, Stealth, Black Wolf...

Offline maje

Just a quick teaser of the cockpit.  I'm hoping to have all the texturing done by tomorrow night.

[attachment deleted by admin]

Offline chief1983

• ⬇️⬆️⬅️⬅️🅰➡️⬇️
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
    • Fate of the Galaxy
That's pretty, almost too much so.  Hope it's not a huge pain to UV.
Fate of the Galaxy - Now Hiring!  Apply within | Diaspora | SCP Home | Collada Importer for PCS2

"You may not sell or otherwise commercially exploit the source or things you created based on the source." -- Excerpt from FSO license, for reference

Offline TopAce

• Stalwart contributor
  • FREDder, FSWiki editor, and tester
If you're going to have a pilot sit in it, you won't need such an insanely detailed chair.

Other than that, it's impressive.
My community contributions - Get my campaigns from here.

I already announced my retirement twice, yet here I am. If I bring up that topic again, don't believe a word.

Offline MR_T3D

• Personal Text
impressive...MOST impressive

Offline chief1983

• ⬇️⬆️⬅️⬅️🅰➡️⬇️
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
    • Fate of the Galaxy
I'm just hoping the chair detail is mostly in the normal map and not polies that will never be seen.

Offline maje

Okay, here we are.  Anything else that needs to be added or revised will happen when we're closer to implementing actual high res cockpit models.

But, for all intents and purposes, this ship is done art-wise.  Custom wing-art for the Rogues and LOD models will resume when we're closer to an actual release.

Besides, the GR-75 is next on the list for redos, so I don't think anyone will be terribly objected to the idea of this being done. ;D

[attachment deleted by ninja]

Offline chief1983

• ⬇️⬆️⬅️⬅️🅰➡️⬇️
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
    • Fate of the Galaxy
I think it looks good, but the textures don't seem to bring the ship across as a real object.  It looks more drawn than alive.  Other than that, it's superb.

Offline maje

Well, from looking at it after a few hours of sleep, there are a few solids that made it into the color map (meant to represent depth in the normal map) where the maneuvering jets are.  That should be easy enough to fix.  I'm not really sure what else there is as far as the color map is concerned.  I didn't mess around too heavily with the normal map, but am wondering if when I resaved it, if some settings were changed in DDS output.  Specular map is the same one I've been using since it's creation.  It should also be noted that the cockpit doesn't have a spec map applied.

Offline brandx0

• The Angriest Angel.
    • Fate of the Galaxy: The Star Wars Conversion for Freespace
I think the biggest problem on the texture is that the panel lines are too pronounced.  They should have a very subtle effect on both the normal map and the diffuse, but it seems like a little too much on the normal and way too much on the diffuse.
Former Senior Modeler, Texturer and Content Moderator (retired), Fate of the Galaxy
"I love your wrong proportions--too long, no, wait, too short
I love you with a highly symbolic torpedo up the exhaust port"
-swashmebuckle's ode to the transport

Offline maje

Bingo.  I just noticed that when making comparisons to the Y-wing.

Offline brandx0

• The Angriest Angel.
    • Fate of the Galaxy: The Star Wars Conversion for Freespace
I think a better comparison is to the X-Wing texture.
Notice that while there are some very pronounced panel lines, there is a variation where some are less pronounced on the diffuse, and some are almost entirely absent from the diffuse. 
Former Senior Modeler, Texturer and Content Moderator (retired), Fate of the Galaxy
"I love your wrong proportions--too long, no, wait, too short
I love you with a highly symbolic torpedo up the exhaust port"
-swashmebuckle's ode to the transport