Author Topic: LAN cooperative campaign success!  (Read 2823 times)

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
  • i wonder when my postcount will exceed my iq
LAN cooperative campaign success!
Rian, myself, Rian's sister, and Ubiquitous recently decided to LAN our way through the FS2 campaign. To our surprise, it worked quite smoothly, even though we were using two Tiger Macs, one Leopard Mac, and a Vista laptop. I was really impressed with the work the SCP crew has done.

We did encounter a few bugs. Firstoff, we couldn't play the cooperative campaign; it simply crashed when people attempted to join. We used the coop single-player missions instead, breaking out to VLC for cutscenes. I wish we could've just used the coop campaign -- any tips?

Second, the Leopard computer kept freezing every time we left a debriefing, and, oddly, if we spent too long in a briefing. It was quite arbitrary and puzzling!

These bugs are really minor, though, and although we did suffer a few mid-mission crashes (couldn't get through Argonautica without all the clients disconnecting, and clients randomly exited or jumped out during Into the Lion's Den), it was a joy. We all commented on how surprised we were that it worked even across such disparate OS and hardware profiles.

Three of us were using the MediaVPs, one wasn't. Don't know if that would affect anything.

Overall, a lot of fun. The campaign missions are really improved by human partners, and Bearbaiting has never gone so smoothly.

Offline karajorma

• King Louie - Jungle VIP
  • Administrator
    • Karajorma's Freespace FAQ
Re: LAN cooperative campaign success!
If any of those are reproducible stick them in Mantis. I'm currently only working on multiplayer so I can take a look at any issues that affect Windows at least.
Karajorma's Freespace FAQ. It's almost like asking me yourself.

[ Diaspora ] - [ Seeds Of Rebellion ] - [ Mind Games ]

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
Kara, the freezing on the Leopard laptop was fixed by updating to a new CVS build.

If I find anything else reproducible I'll Mantis it. Thanks!

How did you do the infiltration missions though? Like Love The Treason? Alpha 1 is always fine, but Alphas 2, 3 and 4 either blow up or go hostile... When I tried to play it with my friend his IFF status changed normally and we had to fight each other.

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
I actually don't believe we played them. Sigh!

...or, actually, maybe we did, and in the co-op version provided with mv_core, Alphas 1-4 simply don't get affected.

Offline Solatar

Glad to hear this is able to be done. I wanted to introduce a friend to freespace, and I thought a two-player coop campaign might be the best way.

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
Just be aware that command briefings got folded into regular briefings and lose the animations, so it lacks some of the atmosphere.