Author Topic: IPX?  (Read 4136 times)

Offline NFSRacer

• Professional aircraft crasher!
    • Steam
Hey!  Ever since I tried to connect to the FS2NetD servers, I kept getting a connection failed message (due to the fact that the FS2NetD servers are down).  At first I thought that this was on my end, so I switch to IPX and tried again, but it still would connect!  Instead, I got a different message saying that it couldn't find my IPX protocals on my computer.  My question is, though, what is IPX and how do I get FS2 to reconise the IPX protocals?
"Said 'It was up to us.  Up to us, to decide.  You've become a virus that eating up it host.  We've been watching you with all our eye, and what you seem to value most.  'So much potential'.  Or so we used to say.  Your greed, self-importance, and your arrogance, you p*** it all away.'" - NIN from Year Zero

Offline Shade

IPX is a rather old protocol that's rarely used anymore - Windows XP for example doesn't have native support for it. Just stick with TCP as that's supported by nearly everything. The fact that it's even a choice is only due to FS2 being such an old game.
Report FS_Open bugs with Mantis  |  Find the latest FS_Open builds Here  |  Interested in FRED? Check out the Wiki's FRED Portal | Diaspora: Website / Forums
"Oooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooh ****ing great. 2200 references to entry->index and no idea which is the one that ****ed up" - Karajorma
"We are all agreed that your theory is crazy. The question that divides us is whether it is crazy enough to have a chance of being correct." - Niels Bohr
<Cobra|> You play this mission too intelligently.

Offline NFSRacer

• Professional aircraft crasher!
    • Steam
IPX is a rather old protocol that's rarely used anymore - Windows XP for example doesn't have native support for it. Just stick with TCP as that's supported by nearly everything. The fact that it's even a choice is only due to FS2 being such an old game.

Well then, on that note, I'm kind of surprised that the people who make the SCP builds haven't thought about taking that little option out.
"Said 'It was up to us.  Up to us, to decide.  You've become a virus that eating up it host.  We've been watching you with all our eye, and what you seem to value most.  'So much potential'.  Or so we used to say.  Your greed, self-importance, and your arrogance, you p*** it all away.'" - NIN from Year Zero

Offline Cobra

• Snake on a Cain
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
I'm pretty certain that the multiplayer options are hard-coded.
To consider the Earth as the only populated world in infinite space is as absurd as to assert that in an entire field of millet, only one grain will grow. - Metrodorus of Chios
I wept. Mysterious forces beyond my ken had reached into my beautiful mission and energized its pilots with inhuman bomb-firing abilities. I could only imagine the GTVA warriors giving a mighty KIAAIIIIIII shout as they worked their triggers, their biceps bulging with sinew after years of Ivan Drago-esque steroid therapy and weight training. - General Battuta

Offline Mongoose

• Rikki-Tikki-Tavi
  • Global Moderator
  • This brain for rent.
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
    • Something
I'm pretty certain that the multiplayer options are hard-coded.
...which would be why a coder would be the only one who could remove it. :p

Offline Cobra

• Snake on a Cain
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
Err, last time I heard you can't remove hard-coded stuff. *looks at Karajorma* :nervous:
To consider the Earth as the only populated world in infinite space is as absurd as to assert that in an entire field of millet, only one grain will grow. - Metrodorus of Chios
I wept. Mysterious forces beyond my ken had reached into my beautiful mission and energized its pilots with inhuman bomb-firing abilities. I could only imagine the GTVA warriors giving a mighty KIAAIIIIIII shout as they worked their triggers, their biceps bulging with sinew after years of Ivan Drago-esque steroid therapy and weight training. - General Battuta

Offline Turey

• Installer dude
  • The diminutive form of Turambar.
    • FreeSpace Open Installer Homepage
Err, last time I heard you can't remove hard-coded stuff. *looks at Karajorma* :nervous:

I'm 100% sure it's removable.
Creator of the FreeSpace Open Installer.
"Calm. The ****. Down." -Taristin
why would an SCP error be considered as news? :wtf: *smacks Cobra*It's a feature.

Offline Flipside

• əp!sd!l£
Now there's a blast from the past....

Offline FUBAR-BDHR

• Self-Propelled Trouble Magnet
  • Master Drunk
    • 165th Beer Drinking Hell Raisers
* FUBAR-BDHR still has machines that run IPX.  One client and 2 servers. 

BTW IPX was Novell's native protocol. 
No-one ever listens to Zathras. Quite mad, they say. It is good that Zathras does not mind. He's even grown to like it. Oh yes. -Zathras

Offline karajorma

• King Louie - Jungle VIP
  • Administrator
    • Karajorma's Freespace FAQ
IPX is still supported by XP. In fact it's a good choice of protocol if your machines aren't connected to the internet as it doesn't have many of the problems that TCP/IP has.

And I simply don't see any reason to remove IPX support if it still works. Whether it works is another matter of course. :D
Karajorma's Freespace FAQ. It's almost like asking me yourself.

[ Diaspora ] - [ Seeds Of Rebellion ] - [ Mind Games ]

Offline Mongoose

• Rikki-Tikki-Tavi
  • Global Moderator
  • This brain for rent.
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
    • Something
The very definition of "hard-coded" is "built into the engine;" i.e., not able to be changed via an outside resource such as a table file.  Considering we have access to the entire codebase, there's nothing in it that can't theoretically be changed.  Of course, whether or not changing certain things is feasible and/or wise is another matter entirely...

Offline CP5670

• Dr. Evil
  • Global Moderator
IPX is still supported by XP. In fact it's a good choice of protocol if your machines aren't connected to the internet as it doesn't have many of the problems that TCP/IP has.

And I simply don't see any reason to remove IPX support if it still works. Whether it works is another matter of course. :D

I've used IPX recently to play some old games that support only that, mainly the earlier C&C titles. It's a bit tricky to set up but it does work.

Offline castor

• http://www.ffighters.co.uk./home/
Hmm.. I thought the IPX support has been defunc since the switch to FS2netD.

Offline karajorma

• King Louie - Jungle VIP
  • Administrator
    • Karajorma's Freespace FAQ
I didn't say it worked. :p

To be honest I don't think anyone has tried using IPX in years. It may work, it may not. But if it's not hurting anything just by being there I see no reason to remove it.
Karajorma's Freespace FAQ. It's almost like asking me yourself.

[ Diaspora ] - [ Seeds Of Rebellion ] - [ Mind Games ]

Offline FUBAR-BDHR

• Master Drunk
I don't think it even worked in retail.  Remember trying it when I first got FS2 but never did get it to work. 
No-one ever listens to Zathras. Quite mad, they say. It is good that Zathras does not mind. He's even grown to like it. Oh yes. -Zathras

ipx works just fine on fs2 just gota make sure every one has the right protocal installed. as it is not installed on most machines, have to do it manually. and the network has to be setup properly.

Offline FUBAR-BDHR

• Master Drunk
Well I ran a Novell network for years as IPX only.  FS2 could not find any clients on the network.  I was using Novell's 32bit IPX/SPX protocol.  Maybe FS2 only worked with mickysofts 16bit version of IPX. 

ye i dun think it worked with novell cant remember but i remember when i was in school we had full blown novell network wid novell client and remote windows boot up on the workstations, but i think i still got it to work wid the ipx but that was long time ago