Author Topic: Just drawing some attention to...  (Read 13793 times)

Offline IceFire

• GTVI Section 3
    • http://www.3dap.com/hlp/hosted/ce
Re: Just drawing some attention to...
To each is own for sure...I'm hoping that we'll offer some of you the chance to try the Valkyrie out at least in a few missions against the more modern GTVA opposition and Sol Coalition ships.  But my preference would definitely be the Perseus over the Valkyrie given the Perseus better balance of sheilding and armament options.  The two don't occupy exactly the same mission type despite their similarities.  Yes the Perseus takes over as a Terran built interceptor but its definitely not as fast...it does have staying power that the Vakyrie always lacked...even in Descent: FreeSpace.

So the question is the nimbleness of the Valkyrie combined with its speed and slightly better than average primary gun options or the Perseus with its better secondary armament and shielding for better versatility.  Not forgetting that the Perseus is still quite fast.

In any case you'll get to try these things out in BWO no doubt and see which way you like it.
- IceFire
BlackWater Ops, Cold Element
"Burn the land, boil the sea, you can't take the sky from me..."

Offline Snail

• SC 5
Will you be allowed to fly both the Valk and the Perseus in the same mission? That way we would be able to compare them.

Offline DREDHAWK

• If you go to Z'Ha'Dum you will die. (Kosh,Babylon5
    • Youtube Channel
Iv always perfered  the Perseus offer the valk it must just be me.
Did you just escape from the hospital or something?

No Did not just escape from hospital. thank you very much.
FROM FS1
When the destroyers came for us, we attacked. Never had we been defeated. They were like the others: strange, hideous, resisting, fighting. Only these were not like the others: They did not die. We made our first retreat. We could forego one system. We left it to the destroyers and went elsewhere. But they followed. They hunted us. They followed us when we retreated, discovered where we lived.
For a long time we did not know why they chased us. They were no ordinary enemy. They did not seek our territory, our technology, our resources.
Now we know our crime was sin.

The Valkyrie has half its subsystems in the nose, I always found in FS1 that I would lose sensors or weapons or whatever faster than I would in even the Erinyes. So, the Valkyrie quite honestly was never my favourite. But I could see myself giving it a go in BWO.

Offline Snail

• SC 5
The Valkyrie has half its subsystems in the nose, I always found in FS1 that I would lose sensors or weapons or whatever faster than I would in even the Erinyes. So, the Valkyrie quite honestly was never my favourite. But I could see myself giving it a go in BWO.
The Athena has this problem too methinks.

Offline Mobius

• Back where he started
  • Porto l'azzurro Dolce Stil Novo nella fantascienza
    • The Lightblue Ribbon | Cultural Project
Yes, both the Erynies and the Athena have this problem. It's a good thing under certain points of view, though...it helps balancing these two "slightly" exaggerated spacecraft.
The Lightblue Ribbon

Inferno: Nostos - Alliance
Series Resurrecta: {{FS Wiki Portal}} -  Gehenna's Gate - The Spirit of Ptah - Serendipity (WIP) - <REDACTED> (WIP)
FreeSpace Campaign Restoration Project
A tribute to FreeSpace in my book: Riflessioni dall'Infinito
My interviews: [ 1 ] - [ 2 ] - [ 3 ]

Offline Snail

• SC 5
Huh.

In INFA the Athena has 165m/s afterburner but the Wiki says it only goes 120m/s. :wtf:

Offline Mobius

• Back where he started
Maybe the post-GW Sol version has been improved...
The Lightblue Ribbon

Series Resurrecta: {{FS Wiki Portal}} -  Gehenna's Gate - The Spirit of Ptah - Serendipity (WIP) - <REDACTED> (WIP)

Offline Turnsky

• FOXFIRE Artisté
  • huh?.. Who?.. hey you kids, git off me lawn!
it'd make sense given sol's limited resources.
   //Warning\\
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
do not torment the sleep deprived artist, he may be vicious when cornered,
in case of emergency, administer caffeine to the artist,
he will become docile after that,
and less likely to stab you in the eye with a mechanical pencil
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Offline Colonol Dekker

• HLP is my mistress
  • Aken Tigh Dekker- you've probably heard me
    • My old squad sub-domain
Athena ftw.
Campaigns I've added my distinctiveness to-
- Blue Planet: Battle Captains
-Battle of Neptune
-Between the Ashes 2
-Blue planet: Age of Aquarius
-FOTG?
-Inferno R1
-Ribos: The aftermath / -Retreat from Deneb
-Sol: A History
-TBP EACW teaser
-Earth Brakiri war
-TBP Fortune Hunters (I think?)
-TBP Relic
-Trancsend (Possibly?)
-Uncharted Territory
-Vassagos Dirge
-War Machine
(Others lost to the mists of time and no discernible audit trail)

Your friendly Orestes tactical controller.

Secret bomb God.
That one time I got permabanned and got to read who was being bitxhy about me :p....
GO GO DEKKER RANGERSSSS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
President of the Scooby Doo Model Appreciation Society
The only good Zod is a dead Zod
NEWGROUNDS COMEDY GOLD, UPDATED DAILY
http://badges.steamprofile.com/profile/default/steam/76561198011784807.png

Offline Mobius

• Back where he started

Well, :rolleyes:...
The Lightblue Ribbon

Offline Snail

• SC 5

Well, :rolleyes:...
@Mobius: If you're saying that 1 system can possibly have more resources than 20+, I'm calling bull**** there.

Offline Mobius

• Back where he started
No but I'd say that Sol's most important colonies are nearly the equivalent of another system. Maybe not in terms of resources but in terms of population, industries and such.

FreeSpace isn't Colony Wars. It's only a few hundred years ahead of us, not thousands. In a few hundred years I'd expect Mars and a few satellites of the Solar system to be highly populated but no, I don't think other colonized systems can match Sol.
The Lightblue Ribbon

Offline Mongoose

• Rikki-Tikki-Tavi
  • Global Moderator
  • This brain for rent.
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
    • Something
Mobius does have a good point here.  Unlike the Vasudans, Terrans didn't have to get off of their home planet or out of their home system in a hurry in order to acquire necessary resources.  We live on a fantastically resource-rich planet, and beyond that, the Sol system has all sorts of avenues for materials exploitment and development.  We know from FS1 that the external Terran colonies weren't all that old in the grand scheme of things; Sol was still described as containing the vast majority of Terran manufacturing capabilities.  I'm sure the node collapse curtailed at least some activities due to the cessation of outside resources, but the inhabitants of Sol still had a hell of a lot to work with, not to mention hundreds of years of established manufacturing bases that the colonies couldn't even begin to approach.

Offline Mars

• I have no originality
  • Attempting unreasonable levels of reasonable
Except that 32 years later, the outside colonies demonstrate that they have a high amount of industrial capacity (look at all the ships Alpha 1 sees from his limited prespective)

Offline IceFire

• GTVI Section 3
In our version of FreeSpace history...the Sol system is plunged into political chaos after the ties are severed with the Alliance.  Chaos and confusion about loosing touch with the colonies compounded by fear created some rather complex situations.  More will be revealed in the actual campaign story (when Kellan and I were writing the original story we went pretty indepth into the situation).  Suffice to say that the military that Sol has is half new/half very old...allot of its banged together to make it work.  Thats the feel we're going with for the Sol Military Coalition.  Also the Sol government has a very tenuous tie on power when the GTVA arrives....and thats when things get interesting for both sides :)
- IceFire

Offline Mars

• I have no originality
  • Attempting unreasonable levels of reasonable
I do believe that's the most detail I've heard about BWO in a very long time (years)  :eek2:

Let's celebrate in the streets

Offline IceFire

• GTVI Section 3
I'm pretty sure we said something about this before...possibly years ago :)

We've got allot of stuff happening over the last several months and in particular over the last few months. You'll be hearing and seeing allot more once we get to a place where we are happy.
- IceFire

Offline Turnsky

• FOXFIRE Artisté
  • huh?.. Who?.. hey you kids, git off me lawn!
In our version of FreeSpace history...the Sol system is plunged into political chaos after the ties are severed with the Alliance.  Chaos and confusion about loosing touch with the colonies compounded by fear created some rather complex situations.  More will be revealed in the actual campaign story (when Kellan and I were writing the original story we went pretty indepth into the situation).  Suffice to say that the military that Sol has is half new/half very old...allot of its banged together to make it work.  Thats the feel we're going with for the Sol Military Coalition.  Also the Sol government has a very tenuous tie on power when the GTVA arrives....and thats when things get interesting for both sides :)

oooh, i like. Given the time you guys had to work on it, i suspect that models, etc (due to SCP) weren't the only things you guys have been refining, no?  :)
   //Warning\\
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
do not torment the sleep deprived artist, he may be vicious when cornered,
in case of emergency, administer caffeine to the artist,
he will become docile after that,
and less likely to stab you in the eye with a mechanical pencil
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Offline Snail

• SC 5
So will the SMC get a full HTL fleet?