Author Topic: Movie adaptations: why do they suck?  (Read 13192 times)

Offline Colonol Dekker

• HLP is my mistress
  • Aken Tigh Dekker- you've probably heard me
    • My old squad sub-domain
Re: Movie adaptations: why do they suck?
Gawd. . . .

The tone has been marginally lowered.
Campaigns I've added my distinctiveness to-
- Blue Planet: Battle Captains
-Battle of Neptune
-Between the Ashes 2
-Blue planet: Age of Aquarius
-FOTG?
-Inferno R1
-Ribos: The aftermath / -Retreat from Deneb
-Sol: A History
-TBP EACW teaser
-Earth Brakiri war
-TBP Fortune Hunters (I think?)
-TBP Relic
-Trancsend (Possibly?)
-Uncharted Territory
-Vassagos Dirge
-War Machine
(Others lost to the mists of time and no discernible audit trail)

Your friendly Orestes tactical controller.

Secret bomb God.
That one time I got permabanned and got to read who was being bitxhy about me :p....
GO GO DEKKER RANGERSSSS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
President of the Scooby Doo Model Appreciation Society
The only good Zod is a dead Zod
NEWGROUNDS COMEDY GOLD, UPDATED DAILY
http://badges.steamprofile.com/profile/default/steam/76561198011784807.png

Offline Roanoke

not so much lowered as torpedoed and hit the sea bed..... :wtf:

Offline TrashMan

• T-tower Avenger. srsly.
  • God-Emperor of your kind!
    • Minecraft
    • FLAMES OF WAR
..and then plummeted into the dark bowels of the Earth.

Seriously? Tomb Raider? :ick:
Nobody dies as a virgin - the life ****s us all!

You're a wrongularity from which no right can escape!

Mr. Vega was on the right track when he said the story elements that make a movie differ greatly from those that make a game. Even the length is quite different -10 hours is a short game yet a very, very long movie. Granted, not all hours of gameplay in a game are dedicated to plot development, but if you look at a game like FreeSpace a significant amount of story elements happen each mission.

I also think those people who mentioned that Hollywood doesn't understand games also had it correct. Games are about far, far more than the action and effects. There has to be other elements in there as well. There has to be something in there that makes the gamer relate to the characters, that make them feel bad when characters die, give them suspense when they're in danger, etc. 99% of movies made from games lack all that. The characters are so poorly thought out and acted that you just don't give a **** about them.

Unfortunately we're starting to see similar trends in both movies and games now. Larger companies *caughEAcaugh* are starting to just throw money at the technology and go for the "wow" effect rather than trying to actually develop an amazing movie or game that actually gets people emotionally involved. Hollywood doesn't understand that gamers actually want to care about the character(s) they're playing, the people or monsters they're fighting, etc. They don't understand that it's about more than shiny explosions.

Actually, when we (the wife and I) first went to see the Tombraider movie, during the action scenes at the start. My wife turned to me and said, "It feels like there is something missing..........That's it! You don't have a gamepad in your hand!" She felt the opening sequence where Angelina was doing all those acrobatics, fighting against that practise robot was a lot like the game. I have to agree somewhat, it did have the feel of the game.

That skin tight silver wet suit in the second film was a winner for me!  ;7

I never played the games but I thought both of the movies were pretty entertaining. The second-one moreso than the first.

Offline Vidmaster

• Inventor of FS2 bullettime ;-)
I never played the games but I thought both of the movies were pretty entertaining. The second-one moreso than the first.

BEGONE!

:)
Devoted member of the Official Karajorma Fan Club (Founded and Led by Mobius).

Does crazy Software Engineering for a living, until he finally musters the courage to start building games for real. Might never happen.