Author Topic: Module ads.gmodules.com causing problems?  (Read 4578 times)

Offline FUBAR-BDHR

• Self-Propelled Trouble Magnet
  • Master Drunk
    • 165th Beer Drinking Hell Raisers
Module ads.gmodules.com causing problems?
Last couple of days I've been getting an hourglass like the page hasn't loaded fully but it's been saying done.  Just now it did the same thing but said it was loading ads.gmodules.com.  I hit refresh and the page loaded fine.  Seems like there is some kind of loading issue.  Doesn't happen all the time but it does seem to happen in spurts.  Something in that module it's trying to load and timing out?  Using Firefox 2.0.0.18. 

Just noticed that it's doing it right now as I'm posting.  Lower left hand corner says done but the loading loop on the browser tab is still processing and I have an hourglass on the mouse pointer. 

Been paying attention to what ad is displayed when the problem occurs.  It's always an eBay add. 
« Last Edit: November 25, 2008, 02:33:25 am by FUBAR-BDHR »
No-one ever listens to Zathras. Quite mad, they say. It is good that Zathras does not mind. He's even grown to like it. Oh yes. -Zathras

Offline Fury

• The Curmudgeon
Re: Module ads.gmodules.com causing problems?
Upgrade to Firefox 3. I've noticed it does handle page loads better than Firefox 2 by usually continuing to load rest of the site even if something is not loading.

I can say that what you noticed is very common behavior in websites that load externally stored content, these include but are not limited to ads and stat collectors. HLP uses Google AdSense and Google Analytics. Either one can slow page loading considerably if browser won't continue loading rest of the page while waiting for them to respond.
« Last Edit: November 25, 2008, 02:48:12 am by Fury »

Offline FUBAR-BDHR

• Master Drunk
The rest of the page does load even with Firefox 2.  I've been on quite a bit and it seems to be just that one dang eBay add (or adds) and just for the past few days. 
No-one ever listens to Zathras. Quite mad, they say. It is good that Zathras does not mind. He's even grown to like it. Oh yes. -Zathras

Offline Fury

• The Curmudgeon
In that case I don't see what there is that admins could do, besides of disabling ads. Which I doubt is gonna happen as revenue is tight as it is.

Do yourself a favor and ignore the issue as it seems it doesn't affect your browsing at all. As a matter of fact I've noticed the same thing on many websites these days and I just ignore it. :)

Offline FUBAR-BDHR

• Master Drunk
Will do.  I just didn't know if you had a way to report a problem with a particular add or not.  Haven't seen that eBay one yet today. 

Offline Hellstryker

• waffles
In that case I don't see what there is that admins could do, besides of disabling ads. Which I doubt is gonna happen as revenue is tight as it is.

Do yourself a favor and ignore the issue as it seems it doesn't affect your browsing at all. As a matter of fact I've noticed the same thing on many websites these days and I just ignore it. :)

AdBlock plus  :yes:

Offline Fury

• The Curmudgeon
AdBlock plus  :yes:
:no:

Blocking ads means you block considerable amount of revenue generated from said ads, as blocking ads also blocks any revenue from ad "impressions" which occur just by loading the ad, without clicking on it. Granted, not all ads have "impressions" but even a little is a lot to sites such as HLP.

In other words, you're doing any website you visit, including HLP a disservice by blocking ads. For your convenience admins have to pay more from their own pockets or beg people to donate.

Is it really too much to ask that you do not block ads on websites you don't pay a dime for? Contribute to the upkeep costs by not blocking ads, and help by reducing the number of donations required.

It is great that HLP has so many visitors who actually donate in times of need. But I, and I assume most of you would prefer not to donate at all. To accomplish that as much ad revenue is needed as possible. Going on ad clicking rampage is prohibited however, as last time someone went on clicking spree Sandwich got his AdSense account permanently banned. Same goes for any website you visit, with the possible exception of paid subscription services.
« Last Edit: November 26, 2008, 01:38:18 am by Fury »