Author Topic: RELEASE: Pandora's Box  (Read 22108 times)

Offline ARSPR

• Preys On Mantis
Re: RELEASE: Pandora's Box
I didn't see anything in Rodo's post about the Valkyrie only the Anubis Mk II and the Chronos. 

Just run a debug build and it tells you about missing things. So far, and with the fatal first mission:

+ A background, (I haven't looked which), that is fully missing or just missing in stars.tbl.
+ All three new ships lack textures. They rely on old xxxa, xxxb, xxxc "mipmapped" textures which doesn't exist anymore.
IF YOU HAVE TROUBLES WITH FS2:
  • Please, please, please, READ and UNDERSTAND the sticky threads in FreeSpace & FreeSpace Open Support board.
    A lot of people are willing to help you, but, as anyone can understand, seeing the very same "issues" repeated again and again can become quite depressing. Please, spend a bit of time trying to solve the issue by yourself.
    (Lobo deserves a monument).
  • Then, if you aren't still able to solve your issue, feel free to ask for help in that same board.
    FYI, most of the troubles are caused by wrong mod installations which lead to either missing data or undesired cross-effects between them. Always follow the mod installation instructions and keep a clean FS2 installation as explained in the sticky threads. Two additional links about how the game handles game data:
  • If you think that you've discovered a bug, mantis it.
    Provide as much info as you can, and try to narrow it down. A lonely "FS2 doesn't work" is not a good report.

Whoever Hanlon was: Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity.
Albert Einstein: Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe.

Dell Dimension 9200 - Vista 32-bit Ultimate
Core 2 Quad Q6600 @2.4GHz - RAM 2 GB DDR2
nvidia 8800 GTX - Integrated Sigmatel Audio

Offline Macfie

• If somebody made a campaign I've probably got it
I ran a debug build but the only thing showing up is the the missing starfield, the Anubis MKII and the Chronos.  I didn't get anything for the Valkyrie.  The Chronos can be fixed by using the pof file for freighter03 from the FSPort Media VPs and the Anubis MKII can be fixed by using the fighter02.pof and fighter02-01 dds files from the FSPort Media VPs and the fighter02-01a, fighter02-01b and fighter02-01c files from the FSPort.  I don't know about the missing starfield.  It would appear some of the FSPort models are still using the old mipmapped textures.
Normal people believe that if it isn't broke, don't fix it. Engineers believe that if it isn't broke, it doesn't have enough features yet.
The difference between Mechanical Engineers and Civil Engineers is:
Mechanical Engineers build weapons.  Civil Engineers build targets
An optimist sees the glass half full; the pessimist sees it half empty. An engineer sees that the glass is twice as big as it needs to be.

Offline ARSPR

• Preys On Mantis
Errr, you're right, I've dreamt about Valkyrie. Sorry.

OTOH the mod also lacks icenifade icon specified through icons.tbl.
  • Please, please, please, READ and UNDERSTAND the sticky threads in FreeSpace & FreeSpace Open Support board.
    A lot of people are willing to help you, but, as anyone can understand, seeing the very same "issues" repeated again and again can become quite depressing. Please, spend a bit of time trying to solve the issue by yourself.
  • Then, if you aren't still able to solve your issue, feel free to ask for help in that same board.
    FYI, most of the troubles are caused by wrong mod installations which lead to either missing data or undesired cross-effects between them. Always follow the mod installation instructions and keep a clean FS2 installation as explained in the sticky threads. Two additional links about how the game handles game data:
    Provide as much info as you can, and try to narrow it down. A lonely "FS2 doesn't work" is not a good report.

Whoever Hanlon was: Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity.
Albert Einstein: Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe.

Offline CaptJosh

Is it just me, or was this meant to be a mod on the original FreeSpace, and therefore should be run with the FSPort and its media VP set as secondary mods, maybe?
CaptJosh

There are only 10 kinds of people in the world;
those who understand binary and those who don't.

Offline Admiral Nelson

• Resurrecter of Campaigns
  • The GTA expects that every man will do his duty.
OTOH the mod also lacks icenifade icon specified through icons.tbl.

I did not end up using the Iceni icon anyway.

Is it just me, or was this meant to be a mod on the original FreeSpace, and therefore should be run with the FSPort and its media VP set as secondary mods, maybe?

No, it was made for FS2, with some Port models thrown in.

I will review the package this weekend, and update with anything missing.  My motherboard fried just before XMas, and I am only getting my new one and new processor Friday; thus the untimely responses to issues posted here.

If a man consults whether he is to fight, when he has the power in his own hands, it is certain that his opinion is against fighting.

Offline Macfie

The crash on the first mission problem has been fixed with the latest nightly build r5060
Normal people believe that if it isn't broke, don't fix it. Engineers believe that if it isn't broke, it doesn't have enough features yet.
An optimist sees the glass half full; the pessimist sees it half empty. An engineer sees that the glass is twice as big as it needs to be.

Offline ARSPR

• Preys On Mantis
I upload a patch for Pandora's Box which includes:
  • Freighter03.pof from FSPort Mediavps.
  • Fighter02.pof from FSPort and its used textures. (Nevertheless there's still a warning about this ship about its Comm exact name).
  • .tsb and .ibx cache files for both ships.
  • Fixed 1st mission. I've just deleted with notepad one missing background (the very first one after the sun) which had no name.

Just extract the vp in your Pandora's Box installation folder.

EDITED

Missing background happens in ALL the missions.

I re-upload 00-Patch.vp including fixed versions of them all.

[attachment deleted by admin]
« Last Edit: February 05, 2009, 02:18:56 pm by ARSPR »

Offline Alpha1

Hi, I have a big Problem in one mission. My Task ist to disable and disarm the Pandora.. the problem is, that this ship is invurnable. Only its own flack's inflict damage to itself, but neither me nor my squad can make a scrath on that thing.
What should i do?
Thanks 4 help

Offline Alpha1

It seems i was to focused an bringing down the engines of that warship ;) After destroying the last Sentrygun, the Pandora escapes an the game continues...

Offline utops

• rip: microprose,black isle, troika.
Pulling the fangs mission gives me really pain in the ASS.
Why Pandora`s flak can shoot from thru she`s hull parts...  she is a partly ghost ship?
When flaks systems detect me... all of them shoot at me behind shes hull parts...
 :hopping:
 Pls fix this i don`t wanna act like Angry Nintendo Game Nerd, when i play freespace  :P
This game dont deserve that kind of behaviour.

THX.

Edit:

Ok, finally i get this mission to the end. So nevermind
Started:16 P.M
End: 7 AM
 :nervous:
« Last Edit: March 05, 2009, 12:06:31 am by utops »
What if ?

Offline Tomo

'Pulling The Fangs' does seem ludicrously difficult.

I've lost *all* of my friendlies three times in that mission, leaving me on my own at sub 20% hull.
I finally get popped by Aries 17+, or the Pandora itself - a lot of that was it firing flak through itself.

The fighter complement inside doesn't match the canon capacity of 150 (ish) fighters at all:
"Pulling The Fangs" has 96, while "Closing the Box" has 67 fighters from the Pandora, a total of 163 in those two missions alone, yet we are previously told that several wings of 'uber-cool' fighters that we encounter are from that ship.

It also doesn't matter how many fighters are actually destroyed, yet on finally giving up and skipping that mission, I find that the Pandora *somehow* has several turrets back up to full strength, which is highly irritating as it is impossible to finish the previous mission without destroying all 27 turrets.

I'm playing at Easy difficulty, which should be slightly tipping the balance towards me - frankly, I've found a few missions in this campaign frustrating.

who did the valkyrie model? it is the best i've ever seen. perfect combination of texture and polygon. the normal and specular maps look excellent.

Offline Deka1184

• Formerly known as KappaWing
Question - as this is a branched campaign, is it necessary to replay it and choose alternate options to experience the entire mod, or am I not missing much just by choosing "accept" all the time?

Offline Admiral Nelson

• Resurrecter of Campaigns
  • The GTA expects that every man will do his duty.
You get the story retold from a different perspective.  It is worth playing through twice just to see.
If a man consults whether he is to fight, when he has the power in his own hands, it is certain that his opinion is against fighting.

To elaborate:  I can see them stealing it.  That's not the issue. 

The problem as I see it is that they did more than just drive it away.  They had it fully combat-capable, including gunners and fighter pilots enough for the whole fighter complement, before they even left Vasuda.  That means they slipped ten thousand people onto the destroyer in secret while it was still in spacedock!  Some engineers and a bridge crew for flying it away I can see, but a full combat complement?  That's a little ridiculous without them getting back to NTF space first. 
Still no answer?  I thought my objection was eye-roll worthy; there ought to be one if that's true.   :lol:

Anyway, I'm on my second playthrough of Pandora's Box.  The first time I accepted all postings to the Iron Fist due to not liking the Vasudan main hall, but this time I'm sticking with the Abydos to see what's different. 

Apparently what's different is a metric ton of bugs in the first mission after the first split, "The Hunt Begins."  The GTFr Chronos model is missing, so you can't destroy a large portion of the convoy; all you see are the engine glows and the containers they're hauling.  Because you can't prevent their escape, the Aeolus that any escaping convoy craft seems to bring as reinforcement jumps in right in front of the Oppenheimer and blasts it to smithereens, causing mission failure.  Normally a Faustus could take the initial frontal shot from an Aeolus, except that the NTC Brutus does the same damned thing when it comes in through the node, so the Oppenheimer never has more than 65% hull integrity max by the time this happens.  The Brutus dies quickly, but it's initial beam shot is immediate when it comes out of subspace, and unless you're very quick it follows up with another.  Combined with the fact that the convoy can't be destroyed, I have to conclude the mission is unwinnable. 
"Courage is the complement of fear.  A fearless man cannot be courageous.  He is also a fool." -- Robert Heinlein

Offline Macfie

To elaborate:  I can see them stealing it.  That's not the issue.  

The problem as I see it is that they did more than just drive it away.  They had it fully combat-capable, including gunners and fighter pilots enough for the whole fighter complement, before they even left Vasuda.  That means they slipped ten thousand people onto the destroyer in secret while it was still in spacedock!  Some engineers and a bridge crew for flying it away I can see, but a full combat complement?  That's a little ridiculous without them getting back to NTF space first.  

This is the campaign restoration project, you would have to take that up with the original author.  If you are missing models then you do not have the up to date version.  Try Freespacemods.net

If you are missing models then you do not have the up to date version.  Try Freespacemods.net
The Chronos shows up in other mods, so I have the model somewhere; this particular mod apparently isn't finding it. 
"Courage is the complement of fear.  A fearless man cannot be courageous.  He is also a fool." -- Robert Heinlein

Offline Mobius

• Back where he started
  • Porto l'azzurro Dolce Stil Novo nella fantascienza
    • The Lightblue Ribbon | Cultural Project
This is the campaign restoration project, you would have to take that up with the original author.  If you are missing models then you do not have the up to date version.  Try Freespacemods.net

Well, I don't see why this thread shouldn't be used to discuss the plot. :)

Uhm, I'm for the skeleton crew option unless sources in the campaign specify otherwise...
The Lightblue Ribbon

Inferno: Nostos - Alliance
Series Resurrecta: {{FS Wiki Portal}} -  Gehenna's Gate - The Spirit of Ptah - Serendipity (WIP) - <REDACTED> (WIP)
FreeSpace Campaign Restoration Project
A tribute to FreeSpace in my book: Riflessioni dall'Infinito
My interviews: [ 1 ] - [ 2 ] - [ 3 ]

Offline Macfie

If you are missing models then you do not have the up to date version.  Try Freespacemods.net
The Chronos shows up in other mods, so I have the model somewhere; this particular mod apparently isn't finding it.  

The Chronos model should be in the Pandora's Box VP file.  The takeover of the Pandora could include people who decided to join the NTF.  They could also have convinced the crew to mutiny.  There have been movies that had this theme.  Crimson Tide and hunt for Red October for instance where the entire crew was not aware of what was going on.