Author Topic: TIE Defender derailing  (Read 20580 times)

Offline Flaser

• man/fish warsie
Considering that you can already order AI to your wing, it may just be a slight tweaking of precedence needed.  Maybe Imps have a lower tendency to break and attack without orders.

That's exactly the wrong kind of behavior. What's needed is for the fighters to be aware of separation. Bracketing means putting half a click of separation between combatants. This forces the target to engage the formation one ship at a time. Meanwhile the separation allows the others to get in his rear, as he's no longer on a face-to-face heading.

Another thing that's badly needed is pointman-wingman mechanics. Namely, only the wingman should peel off to fend off attackers so the pointman can finish his attack run.
"I was going to become a speed dealer. If one stupid fairytale turns out to be total nonsense, what does the young man do? If you answered, “Wake up and face reality,” you don’t remember what it was like being a young man. You just go to the next entry in the catalogue of lies you can use to destroy your life." - John Dolan

Offline CaptJosh

Was the Avenger the funky looking one with the rectangular solar panels on it that had a chunk out of them like an interceptor that I remember seeing playing Rogue Squadron in the mission with the World Devastators?
CaptJosh

There are only 10 kinds of people in the world;
those who understand binary and those who don't.

Offline Turambar

• Determined to inflict his entire social circle on us
  • You can't spell Manslaughter without laughter
Was the Avenger the funky looking one with the rectangular solar panels on it that had a chunk out of them like an interceptor that I remember seeing playing Rogue Squadron in the mission with the World Devastators?

no, those were the TIE-Ds with droid pilots.

The Avenger is the line that Darth Vader's tie comes from, AKA the TIE X-1 Advanced.
10:55:48   TurambarBlade: i've been selecting my generals based on how much i like their hats
10:55:55   HerraTohtori: me too!
10:56:01   HerraTohtori: :D

Offline CaptJosh

But Vader's craft didn't have any shields, or he wouldn't have been disabled by his wingman impacting with him in A New Hope. OTOH, it's clear that particular craft was a prototype, combining a standard TIE fighter with TIE Bomber solar panels, so...
CaptJosh

Offline Something

• Will Voice act for any mod
You'd still reel from the impact with shields up. He wasn't disabled, he was thrown out of control. By the time he recovered, obviously there was nothing he could do.
Done voice work for :
TBP Relic mini-campaign - Released
Warzone Campaign
Olympus Burning

Offline CaptJosh

Hrm. The Zhan trilogy books said that his fighter was disabled and he was picked up later nearly dead. Then again Mara Jade also said that was when he lost his right hand (Not from the impact or anything, but from the Emperor's displeasure), but that's been expressly contradicted on screen now. He lost his right hand in a fight with Dooku BEFORE he became Vader.
CaptJosh

No it isn't; you just apparently don't know what you're doing.   :p  You know what I take to fight TIE Defenders?  A B-wing.  Sure, it's slower and less maneuverable, but it's forward firepower will chew a Defender to shreds in the initial head-to-head, and the AI isn't smart enough to avoid charging straight down your guns no matter which one you use. 

RP putting a smiley face after an insult still makes it an insult. And clearly you didn't read anything I said.

I said when flying an X-Wing. I wasn't asking for what ship could beat a Tie-D, I was mentioning how it destroyed X-Wings. And to respond to your tactics, the B-Wing might well be sound advice, I'll have to take your word for it as I've not flown them much. However, while I can see it making things easier in a head on run, the Defender, on paper, will still win. It's got quad laser and ion versus the b-wings triple laser/ion and it's got equal shields. It also has close to 1.5 times the B-Wing's speed and that plus its hugh manouverability advantage means it'll run rings around the B-wing.

I dunno what difficulty level you play on but it sounds like easy. Granted, the AI never fires at MAX range but it's got precision accuracy (the kind that makes you think you're being cheated) on hard so even if you survive the head on run against one you'll be damaged enough to have no chance against the other two.

But anyways

Yeah I'd always wanted a X-Wing MK2 to combat the defenders. X-wings with the power-plants, shield generators, ion cannons and larger engines, from decommisioned Y-Wings. But then as you say, defenders are extremely rare so it was too much of an issue.
« Last Edit: December 22, 2008, 05:14:16 pm by Rand al Thor »
Watch out for the Guns! They'll getcha!

Offline chief1983

• Still lacks a custom title
  • ⬇️⬆️⬅️⬅️🅰➡️⬇️
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
    • Fate of the Galaxy
I can safely say that not many people have flown anything that flies like the ships that will be in this game, so inferring characteristics of these ships from previous games isn't really constructive, especially not in this thread.  Use the afterburners thread for that kind of talk.

And just to pour fuel on the fire anyway, the B-Wing's single R-9X is designed to f*** up capital ships.  You don't want to be going head on against that thing, between the autoblasters and the ions, and that giant freaking laser cannon.  It's like the A-10's Vulcan, but slow.
Fate of the Galaxy - Now Hiring!  Apply within | Diaspora | SCP Home | Collada Importer for PCS2
Karajorma's 'How to report bugs' | Mantis
#freespace | #scp-swc | #diaspora | #SCP | #hard-light on EsperNet

"You may not sell or otherwise commercially exploit the source or things you created based on the source." -- Excerpt from FSO license, for reference

Nuclear1:  Jesus Christ zack you're a little too hamyurger for HLP right now...
iamzack:  i dont have hamynerge i just want ptatoc hips D:
redsniper:  Platonic hips?!
iamzack:  lays

Offline aRaven

I can safely say that not many people have flown anything that flies like the ships that will be in this game, so inferring characteristics of these ships from previous games isn't really constructive, especially not in this thread.  Use the afterburners thread for that kind of talk.

yeah thanks for raping my thread for your flame wars :P

Offline IceFire

• GTVI Section 3
    • http://www.3dap.com/hlp/hosted/ce

no, those were the TIE-Ds with droid pilots.

The Avenger is the line that Darth Vader's tie comes from, AKA the TIE X-1 Advanced.
Isn't what he described this: http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/TIE/ad_starfighter

Thats the good ole TIE Advanced to me...although apparently its now TIE/ad or TIE Avenger.  So many names.
- IceFire
BlackWater Ops, Cold Element
"Burn the land, boil the sea, you can't take the sky from me..."

Offline StarSlayer

• Men Kaeshi Do
    • Steam
No the fighter CaptJosh is describing is this http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/TIE/D_automated_starfighter its an Imperial droid starfighter utilized by the forces of the cloned Emperor in the Dark Horse comics.  You had to fight them in the World Devastator mission in the first Rogue Squadron game.
“Think lightly of yourself and deeply of the world”

No it isn't; you just apparently don't know what you're doing.   :p  You know what I take to fight TIE Defenders?  A B-wing.  Sure, it's slower and less maneuverable, but it's forward firepower will chew a Defender to shreds in the initial head-to-head, and the AI isn't smart enough to avoid charging straight down your guns no matter which one you use. 

RP putting a smiley face after an insult still makes it an insult. And clearly you didn't read anything I said.

I said when flying an X-Wing. I was asking for what ship could beat a Tie-D, I was mentioning how it destroyed X-Wings. And to respond to your tactics, the B-Wing might well be sound advice, I'll have to take your word for it as I've not flown them much. However, while I can see it making things easier in a head on run, the Defender, on paper, will still win. It's got quad laser and ion versus the b-wings triple laser/ion and it's got equal shields. It also has close to 1.5 times the B-Wing's speed and that plus its hugh manouverability advantage means it'll run rings around the B-wing.

I dunno what difficulty level you play on but it sounds like easy. Granted, the AI never fires at MAX range but it's got precision accuracy (the kind that makes you think you're being cheated) on hard so even if you survive the head on run against one you'll be damaged enough to have no chance against the other two.
An X-wing can also beat a TIE Defender; you just have to know all the ins and outs of it and fly like hell.  I have never had any trouble with the mission you name.  And I never play on Easy.  If you're flying anything other than a B-wing or Y-wing (both of which are considerably tougher than an X-wing or any TIE model, though the Y-wing has enough disadvantages for it to not really make a difference), just don't accept the head-to-head, because the Defender will win.  Spiral in until you're in the furball so that they don't get a kilometer of free shooting at you; you have a better chance that way if you're not in a bomber. 

Is it fast?  Sure it is.  The trick is that the X-Wing games, one and all, have a feature where your maneuverability is greatly increased at 1/3 throttle.  Judicious use of throttle controls lets you cut inside the Defender's turns and still stay right on its tail. 

Oh, and quad lasers and two ions is at a distinct disadvantage against three and three because it has half the fire rate when you link them all together.   :D
« Last Edit: December 20, 2008, 09:50:45 am by Renegade Paladin »
"Courage is the complement of fear.  A fearless man cannot be courageous.  He is also a fool." -- Robert Heinlein

Offline CaptJosh

Also, whoever uploaded that picture to the TIE Avenger page ****ed up. They uploaded a regular TIE Interceptor image.
CaptJosh

Offline brandx0

• The Angriest Angel.
    • Fate of the Galaxy: The Star Wars Conversion for Freespace
I'm glad to see that this thread has become a discussion about the game mechanics of the X-Wing series.  Please take it to a new thread
Former Senior Modeler, Texturer and Content Moderator (retired), Fate of the Galaxy
"I love your wrong proportions--too long, no, wait, too short
I love you with a highly symbolic torpedo up the exhaust port"
-swashmebuckle's ode to the transport

Offline TopAce

• Stalwart contributor
  • FREDder, FSWiki editor, and tester
Somehow, all FotG threads end up that way.
My community contributions - Get my campaigns from here.

I already announced my retirement twice, yet here I am. If I bring up that topic again, don't believe a word.

Offline IceFire

• GTVI Section 3
No the fighter CaptJosh is describing is this http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/TIE/D_automated_starfighter its an Imperial droid starfighter utilized by the forces of the cloned Emperor in the Dark Horse comics.  You had to fight them in the World Devastator mission in the first Rogue Squadron game.
Aha...wasn't too familiar with that model. I had heard about the droid TIE's ...but didn't know what their looks were.
- IceFire

Anyone who flies a Defender or an Avenger is a pansy anyway.

Real Imperial pilots fly basic Tie Fighters.
Though the Gunboat's not too bad. (The missile boat on the other hand is full-on gay)

If a person wants some extra TIE fighters, what about the funnies from Tie Fighter. Or was it X-Wing Alliance. I don't remember, but there was one with some funny TIEs like one was a Tie Interceptor with missile pods outside the wings. And another was like a single Solar panel with pods to either side, one of which held a big cannon of some sort. Those were suitably crappy.

Offline IceFire

• GTVI Section 3

Though the Gunboat's not too bad. (The missile boat on the other hand is full-on gay)

If a person wants some extra TIE fighters, what about the funnies from Tie Fighter. Or was it X-Wing Alliance. I don't remember, but there was one with some funny TIEs like one was a Tie Interceptor with missile pods outside the wings. And another was like a single Solar panel with pods to either side, one of which held a big cannon of some sort. Those were suitably crappy.
The Avenger I always considered to be the Imperial version of the X-Wing...a bit better yes but it was the first ship in TIE Fighter that could truly stand toe to toe with the Rebel fighters.  Enjoy your unshielded TIE Fighter while I protect my virtual life investment with some proper shielding :D
- IceFire

The Avenger I always considered to be the Imperial version of the X-Wing...a bit better yes but it was the first ship in TIE Fighter that could truly stand toe to toe with the Rebel fighters.  Enjoy your unshielded TIE Fighter while I protect my virtual life investment with some proper shielding :D

I dunno, if you watch the movies the TIE Fighters give as good as they got it seems to me. At best it seems the shields allow the Rebs to take one or two extra hits before being blasted into pieces. With the exception of the Falcon of course which takes full on ISD blasts and keeps on trucking.

The Avenger isn't _that_ pansy, but the Defender certainly is. When I finally got the Tie Collector's CD, I really tried to finish the game but it just got so stupid with the fancy ships. Last mission I gave up on was some "Missile Boat destroying an entire Rebel fleet" mission. Some people throw similar missions in their FS2 campaigns but I always find them pretty damn boring.

Offline IceFire

• GTVI Section 3

I dunno, if you watch the movies the TIE Fighters give as good as they got it seems to me. At best it seems the shields allow the Rebs to take one or two extra hits before being blasted into pieces. With the exception of the Falcon of course which takes full on ISD blasts and keeps on trucking.

The Avenger isn't _that_ pansy, but the Defender certainly is. When I finally got the Tie Collector's CD, I really tried to finish the game but it just got so stupid with the fancy ships. Last mission I gave up on was some "Missile Boat destroying an entire Rebel fleet" mission. Some people throw similar missions in their FS2 campaigns but I always find them pretty damn boring.
The most interesting bits of the TIE Fighter campaigns for me were the TIE Advanced (Avenger/whatever you want to call it) and the Gunboat. The Missile Boat was pretty easy...the challenge in those missions was to hit the right targets otherwise friendlies would be lost pretty quickly.

In the movies there were lots and lots of TIE Fighters against seemingly far fewer Rebel fighters which is consistent with whats been said about the fighter over the years.  The idea is to build lots and lots of cheap throwaway star fighters and the TIE does a good job of being that.  Has the most minimal amounts of everything and gets away with it by being available in large numbers.
- IceFire