Author Topic: SILENT THREAT: REBORN RELEASED [Updated V1.4]  (Read 451586 times)

Offline Goober5000

• HLP Loremaster
    • Goober5000 Productions
Re: SILENT THREAT: REBORN RELEASED [Updated V1.4]
Yup.

EDIT: Done.
« Last Edit: September 09, 2018, 01:49:53 pm by Goober5000 »

Offline Antares

• Author of The Shivan Manifesto
A little weirdness. Playing the latest release available through Knossos.

Playing Betrayed. Completed the mission but did a lousy job of protecting the escape pods. At the debrief screen, I entered the options menu, changed the difficulty from 'Medium' to 'Very Easy' (I wanted to see if it was even possible to save all the pods), then hit the 'Replay Mission' button. Played through the mission again and fared no better (because I suck), but couldn't finish the mission because the surviving pods went into the Soyokaze's docking bay and then just sat there without actually entering the ship. I quit to the flight deck and found myself in the Soyokaze's main hall; upon entering the briefing room, I found that the campaign had flagged Betrayed as completed and kicked me forward into Exodus.

(Also, hello!)

EDIT: Fun fact: I read through the thread and found a comment of mine from way back in 2008 (on page 4) asking whether or not it was possible to save all the pods. I guess not.  :P
« Last Edit: October 12, 2019, 11:23:29 pm by Antares »
We have returned to continue our purification of this galaxy. It is again your turn to be crushed beneath the great force that is the Antaran army. All your petty squabbling with the other beings in this galaxy is meaningless. The Antaran fleet will destroy you all, one by one. You may not surrender. You cannot win. Your only option is death.

Offline Goober5000

• HLP Loremaster
    • Goober5000 Productions
Good to see you again. :)

I never managed to save all the pods myself.  But that's a very odd situation you discovered with the hangar and the campaign progression; can't imagine what happened there.

Offline Antares

• Author of The Shivan Manifesto
Weirdness on Secrets Reborn with recent nightlies. The Tatenen is scripted to explode and does so before the Hades actually fires on it; when the Hades does fire, it obliterates the Minotaur. The Mecross jumps out, but the Gladiator patiently sits there, waiting to be destroyed.

EDIT: Well, that's not quite true. On my last attempt the Gladiator jumped right away and the Mecross narrowly avoided getting roasted after a long delay, but the Tatenen still self-destructed.
« Last Edit: December 11, 2019, 07:24:22 pm by Antares »
We have returned to continue our purification of this galaxy. It is again your turn to be crushed beneath the great force that is the Antaran army. All your petty squabbling with the other beings in this galaxy is meaningless. The Antaran fleet will destroy you all, one by one. You may not surrender. You cannot win. Your only option is death.

Offline Goober5000

• HLP Loremaster
    • Goober5000 Productions
It's not a nightly problem, it's a model problem.  The HTL Hades has beam turrets that are ever-so-slightly different from the original, and this is enough to mess with the field of view so that the side beam doesn't fire.  I fixed it in SVN by using fire-beam without regard to field of view.  The next FSPort update will work properly.

The Tatenen is scripted to always be destroyed (that ship name is probably bad luck), while the other ships have a random chance of jumping immediately or jumping out after several seconds.  They will carry a greater risk of being destroyed if their jump is delayed.

Offline Su-tehp

• Devil in the Deep Blue
So I just tried to play SL:R and the game crashed just as I entered. Here's the log:

https://fsnebula.org/log/5e1a76ddcb0d330e658b7edd

I can't seem to get the new graphics working, in either 3.8.0-3 or on 19.0.0-RC2. For that matter, which build should I be using?

For that matter, the Isis transports (as well as the Amazon Advanced drone and Lucifer) are invisibile and can't be hit by my weapons, which makes finishing even the first mission impossible. Wth is going on?
« Last Edit: January 11, 2020, 07:49:18 pm by Su-tehp »
REPUBLICANO FACTIO DELENDA EST

Creator of the Devil and the Deep Blue campaign - Current Story Editor of the Exile campaign

"Let my people handle this, we're trained professionals. Well, we're semi-trained, quasi-professionals, at any rate." --Roy Greenhilt,
The Order of the Stick

"Let´s face it, we Freespace players may not be the most sophisticated of gaming freaks, but we do know enough to recognize a heap of steaming crap when it´s right in front of us."
--Su-tehp, while posting on the DatDB internal forum

"The meaning of life is that in the end you always get screwed."
--The Catch 42 Expression, The Lost Fleet: Beyond the Frontier: Steadfast

You are probably affected by this bug.

Offline Goober5000

• HLP Loremaster
    • Goober5000 Productions
Oof.  @Su-tehp, what graphics card are you using?  Can you try updating the drivers?

Offline Su-tehp

• Devil in the Deep Blue
It's an AMD Radeon HD 7660G, and it has the latest drivers, which are from Nov 4, 2015. Yeah, this is an old laptop I'm playing on.
« Last Edit: January 12, 2020, 09:27:01 pm by Su-tehp »

Creator of the Devil and the Deep Blue campaign - Current Story Editor of the Exile campaign

"Let my people handle this, we're trained professionals. Well, we're semi-trained, quasi-professionals, at any rate." --Roy Greenhilt,
The Order of the Stick

"Let´s face it, we Freespace players may not be the most sophisticated of gaming freaks, but we do know enough to recognize a heap of steaming crap when it´s right in front of us."

Offline Goober5000

• HLP Loremaster
    • Goober5000 Productions
It's possible to play ST:R without the mediavps, so you can do it that way if you like.

However, I don't think Knossos supports modifying mod loading order for end-users.  You'll have to manually edit mod.json, or else install ST:R using the FSO Installer.

Offline Su-tehp

• Devil in the Deep Blue
It's possible to play ST:R without the mediavps, so you can do it that way if you like.

However, I don't think Knossos supports modifying mod loading order for end-users.  You'll have to manually edit mod.json, or else install ST:R using the FSO Installer.

Well, I can't manually mod.json because I have no idea what mod.json is. Using the FSO Installer has always been problematic because it hasn't worked right (or I haven't understood how to use it right). Knossos can't do anything about this? I've been messing with Knossos over the past couple of days trying to get it to run my mods but it's just not working because I can't figure which build is for which mods and this video card issue isn't helping.

EDIT: Ok, I'm using FSO Installer to reinstall Silent Threat: Reborn. Wish me luck.
« Last Edit: January 12, 2020, 09:39:39 pm by Su-tehp »

The Order of the Stick

Offline Goober5000

• HLP Loremaster
    • Goober5000 Productions
Generally, 19-RC2 should work for all mods on Knossos.  You'll have to set "preferred stability" to Release Candidate if it isn't already.

After downloading with the FSO Installer, you'll have to install and use wxLauncher to launch ST:R.  WxLauncher allows you more control over the whole process than Knossos.

Offline Su-tehp

• Devil in the Deep Blue
Generally, 19-RC2 should work for all mods on Knossos.  You'll have to set "preferred stability" to Release Candidate if it isn't already.

After downloading with the FSO Installer, you'll have to install and use wxLauncher to launch ST:R.  WxLauncher allows you more control over the whole process than Knossos.

Yeah, I was wondering why FSO Installer didn't have a ready made shortcut on my desktop or some other icon to start FreespaceOpen. So I have to install wxLauncher in order to start my Freespace mods? Yeah, this is why I prefer Knossos: being able to start my mods (assuming they work) from one place.

Anyway, where do I find wxLauncher?

The Order of the Stick

Offline Goober5000

• HLP Loremaster
    • Goober5000 Productions
It's one of the mods selectable in the FSO Installer.  It's also stickied in the SCP forum.

Offline Su-tehp

• Devil in the Deep Blue
Ok, so I installed wxLauncher and I'm trying to set it up, but when I go to Basic Settings and it asks me to choose the "root folder of an FS2 Open game," every folder I pick, from "FreespaceOpen" to the individual mod folders, I keep getting the same message: "Folder [name] does not have any supported executables." So what does that mean? what sort of folder and I supposed to be choosing? Even if I choose Freespace 2 from my GoG folder, the Play button stays greyed out.

What gives?

The Order of the Stick

Offline Goober5000

• HLP Loremaster
    • Goober5000 Productions
Choose your GOG folder, which I assume is something like C:\GOG Games\FreeSpace 2.  This folder should contain the game data (.vp files), the mod folders (fsport-str and fsport), and the 19-RC2 executable.

Offline Su-tehp

• Devil in the Deep Blue
Choose your GOG folder, which I assume is something like C:\GOG Games\FreeSpace 2.  This folder should contain the game data (.vp files), the mod folders (fsport-str and fsport), and the 19-RC2 executable.

Did that, so which FSOpen executable do I choose? 19.0.0 RC2 or FSO 3.8.0?

EDIT: I selected 19.0.0 RC2, pressed Play (it's no longer greyed out) but nothing's happened. Went to Advanced settings and messed with the presets and got the game working...and the same thing happened when I used Knossos: all the ship graphics disappeared when I went to the tech room. All I see are running lights on some of the ships, if I even see that.

So what gives? Do I need a new vid card or something? Because that's not happening.
« Last Edit: January 13, 2020, 02:36:11 am by Su-tehp »

The Order of the Stick

Offline Goober5000

• HLP Loremaster
    • Goober5000 Productions
Can you post screenshots of your C:\GOG Games\FreeSpace 2 folder, your Basic tab, and your Advanced tab?

There are a few things to check here: your build (19-RC2 without AVX), the folder itself, your settings (1024x768 to be sure), and your command line (presets off).

If all else fails, you can still play ST:R with retail, but that involves moving .vp files out of their mod folders which is risky if you don't know what you're doing.

What happens if you play FS2 through GOG without any FSO or mod stuff?  Do you see the ship graphics then?

Offline Su-tehp

• Devil in the Deep Blue
Yeah, playing FS1 and FS2 with GOG without mods is no problem at all.

I'll see what I can do about posting a screenshot. I dunno how I can post a screenshot at all (don't I need to upload said screenshot to a host website or something? Hell if I know), but I'll at least try to get screenshots of everything you asked for and we'll figure the rest out later.

The Order of the Stick

Offline Goober5000

• HLP Loremaster
    • Goober5000 Productions
You can attach a screenshot to a forum reply.  Use the full reply page, not the quick reply box.