Author Topic: how can we set up servers so the ping is a little more equal  (Read 2417 times)

Offline captain-custard

• previously known as andicirk
  • one sandwich short of a picnic
how can we set up servers so the ping is a little more equal
basically as it reads , we have players all over the world atm and its ok for the europeans and americans but for players in asia , australia it seems to be bad and leaves themù not wanting to play;

so is there anyway that we can find a solution , is it possible for an american , european, asian servers to be connnected together so that it will equalise the ping a little?

i wish i new something about this so those who do please post a solution

thanks
"Duct tape is like the force. It has a light side, a dark side, and it holds the universe together."

Offline Dilmah G

• Failed juggling
  • Do try it.
Re: how can we set up servers so the ping is a little more equal
Well I'll put forth my idea

Anyone who has a speed of 10mbps should b able to host decently, so if we have a list of areas where players suffer from bad connection difficulties and assign a member closest to that area with decent internet, and convince them to host as much/as soon as possible, we can kind of create our own localised servers

There are many flaws with the idea, so what, sue me, but it's just an idea

Offline chief1983

• Still lacks a custom title
  • ⬇️⬆️⬅️⬅️🅰➡️⬇️
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
    • Fate of the Galaxy
As far as 'equalization' goes, it's not like money where you can rob from the rich and give to the poor.  You can't make someone's faster, so you could only bring everyone else down with the laggiest person in the game.  Sure it equals the playing field, but it also ruins the game for everyone instead of just the poor sap in Australia trying to play with his EU buddies.  Getting more people to host in more places is a far better idea, and with the standalone server working soon, you could put up dedicated servers all over the world and really help alleviate that problem a lot.
Fate of the Galaxy - Now Hiring!  Apply within | Diaspora | SCP Home | Collada Importer for PCS2
Karajorma's 'How to report bugs' | Mantis
#freespace | #scp-swc | #diaspora | #SCP | #hard-light on EsperNet

"You may not sell or otherwise commercially exploit the source or things you created based on the source." -- Excerpt from FSO license, for reference

Nuclear1:  Jesus Christ zack you're a little too hamyurger for HLP right now...
iamzack:  i dont have hamynerge i just want ptatoc hips D:
redsniper:  Platonic hips?!
iamzack:  lays

Offline JGZinv

• The Last Dual! Guardian
    • The FringeSpace Conversion Mod
You can only do two things:

1. Get a much better connection, like business class.
There are inherent amounts of lag everytime the "signal" has to connect to a new line to
go a little bit farther towards the server or recipient. So no matter how much you fight it,
there's going to be X amount of lag between Australia and where ever. The only thing you
can do is get a better connection yourself on the player's end, and tweak it to get the lowest ping.

2. Have servers equidistant between all players, accounting for difference in connection speeds and
how many node/hubs/connection points you have to jump through. If a guy in Germany has a 10 MBps connection
but you have to go through 32 connections to get to him, you may be better off with the dude in Spain with the
5 MBps connection and 5 links to hop through.

Having the server on the person with the lowest ping has been a staple of the gaming life just about forever.
True power comes not from strength, but from the soul and imagination.
Max to PCS2 to FS2 SCP Guide
The FringeSpace Conversion Mod

Offline Dilmah G

• Failed juggling
  • Do try it.
Is there a proven way to hack your ping? I did the Reg entries they have up on youtube, but my ping is the same

Offline FUBAR-BDHR

• Self-Propelled Trouble Magnet
  • Master Drunk
    • 165th Beer Drinking Hell Raisers
Ping is nothing more than the round trip time it takes to get to a location and back.  No matter how much faster you connection is (and that is a bit misleading since you connection isn't faster it just transfers more at one time) it still takes time to get from one place to another.  The only thing that can really decrease the time is a more direct root or bigger pipe.  The bigger pipe only helps if there is a bottle neck on your end otherwise the traffic has to be routed along with everyone else's.  A more direct route will cost you big bucks ans still may only cut you ping down 10-20ms.  It the case of FS2 anything over 256k should be plenty of bandwidth to host.  Less than that to play.  Remember this game was written when 56k was the most common connection type.  Unless you lived in a big population area DSL and cable were still a couple of years off.   
No-one ever listens to Zathras. Quite mad, they say. It is good that Zathras does not mind. He's even grown to like it. Oh yes. -Zathras

Offline JGZinv

• The Last Dual! Guardian
    • The FringeSpace Conversion Mod
There's people that can go into oodles of detail over at the dslreports.com forums.
It's not DSL centric by any means, and there's forums for every major internet connection type.

I used to tweak my connection settings by editing the RWIN and some other data back
when I was using mobile broadband by sprint. There was a fair amount of difference in ping and
up/download after I did the tweaks. How well those same tweaks would affect a landline, is debatable.
http://www.dslreports.com/forum/r18650881-Evdo-Tweaks-and-Tuning

Again... find the section for your type of connection, and ask questions (first read the FAQ for that section in the left
hand side bar or you'll be run off) there. The stuff in the link above was for mobile internet, the Dr. TCP would
apply to you, but there's no telling what the values would be for your connection type. That's why you need to ask
people that know.

What FUBAR said is correct - in terms of ping isn't the same as bandwith aka how much water you can carry in
the "tube." All you can do is clean up/tune up your PC and connection to run at it's optimum, then you have to work
at it from what servers give everyone the best overall experience.

Personally, I wouldn't trust anything put on youtube.
True power comes not from strength, but from the soul and imagination.
Max to PCS2 to FS2 SCP Guide
The FringeSpace Conversion Mod

Offline Dilmah G

• Failed juggling
  • Do try it.
Okkayy fair enough

I'll just stick to trying to obtain my 25mbps 25GB dl limit net and hope it helps

Offline FUBAR-BDHR

• Self-Propelled Trouble Magnet
  • Master Drunk
    • 165th Beer Drinking Hell Raisers
I know some of those settings used to work on dial-up and ISDN in win95 and maybe 98.  I know I had to tweek mine because I was using 3 modems shotgunned at one time before I got dual channel ISDN.  That was because of limits in the OS though and wasn't necessary once ME/2000/XP came out.  I don't see how they could help if you are using a DSL or cable router since the settings would need to be changed on the router itself.  Your already connecting to the router at 10/100/1000 or whatever.  Unless of course you have an internal modem for your cable/DSL. 
No-one ever listens to Zathras. Quite mad, they say. It is good that Zathras does not mind. He's even grown to like it. Oh yes. -Zathras

Offline Bas

When standalone-/dedicated serversoftware is running better (next final version of build, foobar told me) I *might* be able to spend a 24/7 server in Europe
It depends on the OS and if FS2 will work on it - The machine is at a data centre so connection (and traffic to) are no matters.