Author Topic: Mass Effect ****in up  (Read 2224 times)

Offline Turambar

• Determined to inflict his entire social circle on us
  • You can't spell Manslaughter without laughter
Mass Effect ****in up
Mass Effect brings up this:

Code: [Select]
Failed to compile global shader FDOFAndBloomGatherFallbackPixelShader

RaiseException() Address = 0x770ad35f (filename not found) [in C:\Windows\syswow64\kernel32.dll]
CccThrowException() Address = 0x74798e89 (filename not found) [in C:\Windows\WinSxS\x86_microsoft.vc80.crt_1fc8b3b9a 1e18e3b_8.0.50727.1434_none_d08b6002442c891f\MSVCR 80.dll]
GMatrix2d::Swap() Address = 0x10d98373 (filename not found) [in C:\Games\Mass Effect\Binaries\MassEffect.exe
Address= 0xe8747f4c (filename not found)
Address= 0xe8747f4c (filename not found)

when I try to run it.

Scouring the internets says its a problem with my videocard not being good enough, which i dont believe because I played the game on windows XP on this same computer (8800 Ultra gfx card) and made it look better than the frakkin xbox 360 version.

Anyone by chance know what to do?
10:55:48   TurambarBlade: i've been selecting my generals based on how much i like their hats
10:55:55   HerraTohtori: me too!
10:56:01   HerraTohtori: :D

Offline captain-custard

• previously known as andicirk
  • one sandwich short of a picnic
Re: Mass Effect ****in up
try updating the driver
"Duct tape is like the force. It has a light side, a dark side, and it holds the universe together."

Offline Turambar

try updating the driver

ive upgraded and downgraded to all sorts of versions, cleaning properly each time, and it aint helping
10:55:48   TurambarBlade: i've been selecting my generals based on how much i like their hats

Offline CP5670

• Dr. Evil
  • Global Moderator
The other possibility is that you need a DirectX update (there are many minor updates to DirectX, in between the big ones). Make sure you have the patch installed as well.

However, this game is buggy in general. There are certain specific drivers that it likes and others that it does not like. On the latter kind, it will CTD often for no apparent reason. I think 177.39 on XP was one of the good ones for me.

Offline blackhole

• Still not over the rainbow
  • Destiny can suck it
    • Black Sphere Studios
IT MUST BE THE DRM :nervous:

Don't blame DRM for every problem. It's not completely bad, a.k.a. at least you can play the game without the disk. On topic however, my 8800 on vista x32 works fine, so I don't think its the video card itself. I would agree, probably DirectX. And yes, Mass Effect on PC is bug central.
'yo my domestic skillets, who put swarm torpedoes on the Tev bombers?'
~Nighteyes

Offline Turambar

arg

did the update of directx too, i'll try your driver version.  I've used mass effect on this computer back when it was running XP, so i know that the computer isn't the problem.

Offline Vidmaster

• Inventor of FS2 bullettime ;-)
It's not completely bad

wrong answer, let's hang carbine7  :)

Did you try to reinstall?
Devoted member of the Official Karajorma Fan Club (Founded and Led by Mobius).

Does crazy Software Engineering for a living, until he finally musters the courage to start building games for real. Might never happen.

ahhaha... very funny Vidmaster  :p
'yo my domestic skillets, who put swarm torpedoes on the Tev bombers?'
~Nighteyes

Offline MP-Ryan

• Makes General Discussion Make Sense.
  • Global Moderator
  • Keyboard > Pen > Sword
    • Twitter
Try a 180+ Forceware release.
"In the beginning, the Universe was created.  This made a lot of people very angry and has widely been regarded as a bad move."  [Douglas Adams]

Have you tried reinstalling DirectX?  I know it sounds absurd, but some of the thoughts on the net are that DirectX is somehow getting corrupted and disabling video acceleration.  Might check your control panel to see that video acceleration is set to full as well.

Offline Davros

do other modern games work ok ?
looks like it cant compile a shader

just a thought i could email you my shader folder and you could replace your with mine (no guarentees)
its only about 600k
pm me your email addy