Author Topic: Blue Planet literary analysis (spoilers)  (Read 12663 times)

Offline CaptJosh

Re: Blue Planet literary analysis (spoilers)
Mobius, I studied French for two years in high school. "encourager" is an infinitive form verb. By itself it is "to encourage". "pour" is for. Therefore, my assessment of the literal translation is correct.
CaptJosh

There are only 10 kinds of people in the world;
those who understand binary and those who don't.

Offline Mobius

• Back where he started
  • Porto l'azzurro Dolce Stil Novo nella fantascienza
    • The Lightblue Ribbon | Cultural Project
Literal translations are confusing and oftentimes make no sense.
The Lightblue Ribbon

Inferno: Nostos - Alliance
Series Resurrecta: {{FS Wiki Portal}} -  Gehenna's Gate - The Spirit of Ptah - Serendipity (WIP) - <REDACTED> (WIP)
FreeSpace Campaign Restoration Project
A tribute to FreeSpace in my book: Riflessioni dall'Infinito
My interviews: [ 1 ] - [ 2 ] - [ 3 ]

Offline Dilmah G

• Failed juggling
  • Do try it.
Literal translations are confusing and oftentimes make no sense.

This is especially true for most Eastern European languages, with gender-based (I don't know the proper term) words etc.

Offline blowfish

• Join the cult of KILL MY ROUTER!!!!!!!!!!1
Just to say, plenty of Western European languages have gender based nouns too.  But this is way off topic :doubt:

Offline -Norbert-

Unless you put a self-destruction device on his fighter and force him to follow your orders.
And exection because of a war tibunal sentence is one thing, just blowing a pilot up quite another.
If that comes out, you are more likely to get a full mutiny on board of the carrier than if you'd just had the pilot up for charches and executed in the first place.

And in case of a full mutiny you're very likely to having to have to pull the ship back for repair and recrewing (additionally resulting in a bigger chance to leak the news to the civil population) or if the mutiny is succesfull, the whole carrier goes over to the enemy faction.

I think the best solution would be, putting the pilot in the brig and send him back home at the first opportunity to let the high-ups dead with the problem.

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
  • i wonder when my postcount will exceed my iq
I wonder what to make of War in Heaven in this regard.

Offline Darius

Everyone that Laporte sees as family goes away, goes mad or dies :(

Offline Pr011

• Uh oh
Regarding mutinies on board warships, in 1944 the British Royal Navy commissioned a document (“Guide to Mutiny in the Royal Navy 1944") that was sent to flag officers and captains of the fleet. With victory in Europe, the RN was deploying major assets, including several fleet carriers, to the pacific theatre to help in the war against Japan. There was concern in the admiralty that, with the threat to the home nation removed and four years of war weariness and casualties, the crews of RN warships would be more liable to mutiny as they were sent around the world for yet more conflict. Needless the say the document was top secret and kept away from all but senior officers.

The document makes interesting reading and looks at several levels of mutiny. In the case of one or two persons, they would be placed under close arrest, and tried by a courts martial panel. In situations where several of the crew mutinied, then groups of loyal senior enlisted personnel and officers would form patrols of the ship and contain the group in a particular non-vital compartment or section, such as a mess deck. Ring leaders would be identified and removed from the group. In all cases the CO would be expected to address the crew to attempt to resolve their grievance (which would be identified as external or internal).

In severe situations, where the number of mutineers threatened control of the ship, the loyal elements would arm themselves and establish defensive “citadels” in the vital areas, such as the bridge and ship control centre (engine room). The CO again would attempt to defuse the situation and address grievances to return the crew to their duties, but would signal other fleet assets for assistance.

In all cases, once control was re-established, the ship would be returned to a base and the crew split up and reassigned to other more stable vessels. Ring leaders and identified trouble makers would be discharged after courts martial.

There is a single line hidden away, too, regarding use of force: “Lethal force must only be used as a last resort”

Interestingly, the document assumes that all mutiny would be by ratings, not officers. Officers were assumed to be loyal at all times by their very nature. In FS2, it appears that mutiny takes place regularly in the Officer Corps as well as among enlisted personnel. In the situation that a group of officers wished to defect with their ship, would everyone else follow? It’s a big question for a 17 year old who has been trained to assume their officers are always right. I think the key would lay with the senior non commissioned officers.

Edit: Typos

« Last Edit: September 23, 2010, 11:46:59 am by Pr011 »
Cracking skulls in the name of public service.

Offline Ypoknons

• Ancient
    • http://www.xwaupgrade.com
I think WiH has a lot of Noemi coming to terms with herself - she didn't want find she wanted to see from Uncle Manuel, she isn't Kassim. Simms fascinates her because she engages with Noemi's 'killer' side. And Ken... I don't know. And then there are people at the sides that make think - the Bengals, the GEFs, the Elders... WiH is more about the people you meet, how they affect someone, and so on...
Long time ago, you see, there was this thing called the VBB and... oh, nevermind.

Offline -Sara-

Sometimes a cigar is just a cigar. But I like the metaphors you found.

For me in WiH:

Kassim: Noemi's innocence without Noemi's sin. Much like we all have a good childhood friend, similar and the same at the early stage of our life. Yet eventually growing apart as childhood friends often do, showing that while growing up the actions we take have consequences on how we develop throughout our life. While being so different from eachother, Kassim and Noemi have one thing in common: neither has choice. Kassim can't keep killing; Noemi can't stop killing.

Manuel: The uncle, a hand on Noemi's shoulder. A hand which slowly slips away as Noemi starts to leave the nest. He slowly has to let go facing that Noemi has her own destiny; Noemi has to accept she is changing and has less and less to do with her uncle. Both are driven apart, much like Noemi is driven away from her family values.

Simms: The funnel for Noemi. Noemi's rage is unguided, a shot in the dark (or rather, a lot of dakka in the dark). Simms warrior-like spirit seems to form a funnel for Noemi, a mentor to teach Noemi how to put that rage to good use. She is the only one who seems to metaphorically hold Noemi's hand in this war and most likely the only one Noemi allows to hold her hand. Noemi helped Simms back in the saddle when things got grim which seems to have bonded the two, to the point of seemingly having some level of romantic feelings for eachother. These two individuals seem to have found their other half in eachother and it remains to be seen if this love is platonic or a true romance.

Wargods: Friends, those on who she can trust. Unlike her Solarian brothers and sisters, she has more in common with this bunch. Yet it seems as if Noemi is seperate from them to an extent, with the exception of Simms to whom she is close.
Currently playing: real life.

"Paying bills, working, this game called real life is so much fun!" - Said nobody ever.

Offline Dilmah G

• Failed juggling
  • Do try it.
Much like what I understand happens in real large-scale wars, when there aren't the resources or circumstances that allow pilots to be rotated off the line every thirty days. I read an interesting statistic a few years ago that went something along the lines of a unit being projected to fall to 10% effectiveness by the hundredth day of combat mark. Or from another perspective, 90% psychological, and physical casualties.

I daresay this must've happened to a few Federal squadrons. And those pilots that Wargod talks about who were present during INDRA II.

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
Much like what I understand happens in real large-scale wars, when there aren't the resources or circumstances that allow pilots to be rotated off the line every thirty days. I read an interesting statistic a few years ago that went something along the lines of a unit being projected to fall to 10% effectiveness by the hundredth day of combat mark. Or from another perspective, 90% psychological, and physical casualties.

I daresay this must've happened to a few Federal squadrons. And those pilots that Wargod talks about who were present during INDRA II.

Indeed, that kind of data was the direct inspiration.

Offline Dilmah G

• Failed juggling
  • Do try it.
Yeah. Battuta, have you read 'War' by Sebastian Junger? If you're interested in that kinda stuff I'd really recommend a read of it if you haven't already. Quite a lot of interesting stuff about soldier psychology, like a correlation between what one feels about their ability to control his/her fate and the occurrence of psychological casualties within a unit. Or put differently, Israeli Logistics Corps Officers report consistently higher levels of fear and psychological issues than Israeli Infantry Officers, who by contrast report surprisingly low levels of fear and far fewer psychological issues in relation to the rest of the defence force.

Or something to that effect. :P Either way, interesting reading to anyone who's interested.

Offline NGTM-1R

• I reject your reality and substitute my own
  • Syndral Active. 0410.

That sounds like infantry data to me. :P It correlates nicely with data that came out of ETO on infantry in WW2 anyways.

Though something similar can happen to pilots, it usually takes longer. 18 months at Rabaul; Shinanakute wa kae****e moraenai.

The wonder is the Jovian and outer planets fleet still exists as a meaningful entity.

For the curious, the Japanese translates as roughly "They won't let you go home unless you die."
"Load sabot. Target Zaku, direct front!"

A Feddie Story

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
The wonder is the Jovian and outer planets fleet still exists as a meaningful entity.

The Jovians are pretty hardcore. The Earth guys went the deepest down the Ubuntu direction, the Martians have a sort of post-Red Faction rough-and-tumble libertarian ethos, and the Jovians are a little militant, a lot neocapitalist and extraordinarily pragmatic.

I don't know if this actually made it into R1, but the Jovian culture was really shaped during the early days of habitat growth on the Galilean moons, where incidents like habitat breaches meant you had to rapidly and decisively consign small numbers of people to death in order to save larger numbers of people. They stand up to the day-to-day stresses of life on a combat spacecraft well.

Also it's worth pointing out that Steele's big attack on Jupiter came eighteen months after the war opened! Wonder if he's been doing some reading.  ;7

Offline Dilmah G

• Failed juggling
  • Do try it.
That sounds like infantry data to me. :P It correlates nicely with data that came out of ETO on infantry in WW2 anyways.

Though something similar can happen to pilots, it usually takes longer. 18 months at Rabaul; Shinanakute wa kae****e moraenai.

For the curious, the Japanese translates as roughly "They won't let you go home unless you die."
Ah, you've got me there. :P If I recall, that data actually was from the ETO in WWII, assuming that the unit had been in combat for every single one of those one hundred days.

Although there are distinguishing factors between the way this data applies to pilots, I watched an interview a few years ago in which an RAF Spitfire pilot who flew during the BoB (Bob Doe I think it was) said he once flew something like seven sorties in one day at the height of the battle. Of course he didn't do this for the entire time, but with the Federal squadrons fighting on the defensive, I would certainly expect at least a few squadrons, perhaps stationed on Karunas to follow a similar operational tempo.

Offline Vidmaster

• Inventor of FS2 bullettime ;-)
The Orestes is angular, authoritative, and -- for most of the campaign's narrative -- quite distant. The Orestes plays a very paternal role.
The Temeraire is more feminine in its hull design, and it spends a great portion of the campaign close to Sam, actively helping and advising him. It's the ship that I imagine most BP players feel is their home-away-from-home.

Strange. He's totally right.
Devoted member of the Official Karajorma Fan Club (Founded and Led by Mobius).

Does crazy Software Engineering for a living, until he finally musters the courage to start building games for real. Might never happen.

Offline T-LoW

• Planet Earth is blue and theres nothing left to do
    • German Freespace-Galaxy
Sweet mama's fold... I felt exactly the same way during AoA.
The german Freespace-Galaxy

"There was a time before we were born. If someone asks this is where I'll be."

Offline Deadly in a Shadow

• Buntu!
Really nice literary analysis.

When I first saw the Orestes I think:" Whoah, what a ship, this ship's able to grill many shivans of course."

But I can't get really familiar with it, then I first saw the Temeraire when she was engaging that Demon-Destroyer (better said: Simply scratching that Demon), there I think:"Whoah, beautiful ship, I think I love it."

The Titan-Destroyers are really beautiful. I was really frightened when the Imperieuse shows up and destroyed the Katana and the Altan Orde (and Yangtze)....
« Last Edit: October 01, 2010, 02:55:21 pm by Deadly in a Shadow »
"Ka-BOOOOOOOOM!!!!"
"Uh, Sir we can hear the explosion."
"No you can't, there is no air in space. Sound can't travel through a vacuum!"

Offline Snail

• SC 5
The Titan-Destroyers are really beautiful. I was really frightened when the Imperieuse shows up and destroyed the Indus....
You mean the Katana and Altan Orde (and Yangtze).