Author Topic: BSG Full Circle: Knowing How It Ends Changes Everything From the Beginning  (Read 2826 times)

BSG Full Circle: Knowing How It Ends Changes Everything From the Beginning
I had actually meant to start this topic last night while I was watching The Miniseries, but I fell asleep sometime shortly after the Colonies got nuked (damnit). 

Now that the series is over, and Season 4.5 is a little ways off for sale, I decided I'd kill the time between by watching the series right from the very start, just to see how everything changed now that I had the full perspective.

Right off the bat I started noticing things (formerly incredibly small things, things you'd never consider) now seemed to have important relevance.  Unfortunately I can't remember everything I was noticing, but let me offer an example to get this thread on a roll.  Unfortunately it's a pretty weak example but the only one I can remember at the moment.

This example is one of the first scenes with Tigh where he's walking through the corridors of Galactica, Doral (Number 5) is giving a tour to an entourage of reporters and whatnot and I don't know, just the way he singled out and said "Hello" to him, almost made me think he recognised something strange about Tigh.

Sure that could be argued as Doral recognising the rank insignia or what have you, but there definitely seemed to be a different gravity about it, now that the series is over.

I'll come back with some more observations later (I wish I had something better).

Now that you folks have the idea of the thread, I was thinking we could tackle episodes at a time, say a certain number of days on such and such an episode.  We'll figure it out, if this thread merits it. hehe.

Cheers

Offline tikey

• Not Batman
Re: BSG Full Circle: Knowing How It Ends Changes Everything From the Beginning
Seeing as how the Five final cylons weren't chosen until the third season, it seems that you're over analysing.

Offline Vip

Yeah, basically any attempt to analyse the older seasons in relevance to our current knowledge can be called over analysing, because much of the story was being done on the spot. Still, all those small details fit so well that one can only wonder what a show we would have got if they had at least the general concept of the story ready before filming Season 1.
Lieutenant Commander Richard "Viper" Pred

^^

Doesn't change the fact that what we now know of what happens to everyone completely changes how you watch the earlier seasons, in spite of the producers not having a concrete idea of what was going to happen to everyone.

That's pretty much all I'm asking people to do, is mention something that they found interesting now that they know the story is complete.  From the irony of Gaeta first saying to Adama "And might I say it's been an honour serving with you for the last three years" to feeling for the tragic path that Dee has ahead of her.

Offline newman

Well, of course it'll all seem different now that we know how it all ends - that's hardly surprising. I wouldn't find hidden meaning in things that weren't defined in those early episodes yet - most of those sentiments will basically be your brain convincing you of seeing something that's not there now that you're able to see the show through different eyes.
Try to remember, however, that the best watching is the first watching; you weren't meant to know the things you know now when you were watching mini and the episodes that follow; knowing how it all ends naturally changes your perception of things. This will happen to anyone who's going to rewatch the show, imo there is no need to send people on a hunt for "different" things that aren't really there. Don't get me wrong, I'll always love the show, but sadly I doubt I will ever be able to replicate the feeling I had when first watching the mini, Cylons attacked and Adama gave his "we're at war" speech.. or seeing any of the other episodes for the first time.
« Last Edit: March 25, 2009, 06:08:48 pm by newman »
You know what the chain of command is? It's the chain I go get and beat you with 'til ya understand who's in ruttin' command here! - Jayne Cobb

Quote from: newman
I wouldn't find hidden meaning in things that weren't defined in those early episodes yet - most of those sentiments will basically be your brain convincing you of seeing something that's not there now that you're able to see the show through different eyes.

See, I don't believe that's necessarily true, it's not like the producers & writers weren't looking back to earlier episodes to add some significance to any they may have been working on at the time, but by that virtue there are going to be things that have a new spin on them.

About shows being best viewed through the first time, I'm not really finding that to be the case, but to each their own opinion.

I figured when I started the thread that the idea of it would be lost on people, I didn't mean for folks to be looking for things to send other people on a hunt for (granted my first example was a bad one), the idea was to share how people felt about certain moments or whatever now that the series has come full circle.

Either way, I'll let it die now. hehe

Offline Snagger

This example is one of the first scenes with Tigh where he's walking through the corridors of Galactica, Doral (Number 5) is giving a tour to an entourage of reporters and whatnot and I don't know, just the way he singled out and said "Hello" to him, almost made me think he recognised something strange about Tigh.

Sure that could be argued as Doral recognising the rank insignia or what have you, but there definitely seemed to be a different gravity about it, now that the series is over.

I think you're reading things into it that aren't there, too.  In that example, Doral was probably just reacting to the fact that he knows Tigh is the XO of the ship, and was also looking typically angry and was not going to deviate his course to avoid Doral - Doral is the one who was going to have to give way.  Doral was basically nervous or even scared around this powerful and angry figure, and was being meek.  Nothing more to it than that, I think.

Alright, I was merely throwing that out there as an example, as I pointed out, it could just as easily be explained that Doral noted the rank insignia Tigh had.  But for the purpose of demonstrating what this thread was about I used the example anyways (whilst noting that it was a terrible example to use).

I merely meant for folks to look at the series as a whole and consider that everything in the series now happened exactly as was intended from the beginning (forgetting that we know it didn't).

All I was asking was for folks to point out what they thought scenes/moments/characters now carried greater weight knowing how everything turns out.

Offline karajorma

• King Louie - Jungle VIP
  • Administrator
    • Karajorma's Freespace FAQ
Well calling Hera the shape of things to come certainly does now.
Karajorma's Freespace FAQ. It's almost like asking me yourself.

[ Diaspora ] - [ Seeds Of Rebellion ] - [ Mind Games ]

Quote from: newman
I wouldn't find hidden meaning in things that weren't defined in those early episodes yet - most of those sentiments will basically be your brain convincing you of seeing something that's not there now that you're able to see the show through different eyes.

See, I don't believe that's necessarily true, it's not like the producers & writers weren't looking back to earlier episodes to add some significance to any they may have been working on at the time, but by that virtue there are going to be things that have a new spin on them.

About shows being best viewed through the first time, I'm not really finding that to be the case, but to each their own opinion.

I figured when I started the thread that the idea of it would be lost on people, I didn't mean for folks to be looking for things to send other people on a hunt for (granted my first example was a bad one), the idea was to share how people felt about certain moments or whatever now that the series has come full circle.

Either way, I'll let it die now. hehe

I agree that looking back on eps can bring clarity to later events. Like an article I read (might be from a link in this forum) was breaking down Gaeta's transformation into a revolutionary.  I think this type of insight is kind of like a replay value. It may not be like the first time you watched it, but maybe you didnt catch everything. Perspectives change.

Also maybe the show shouldnt be judged on what the writers intended or might have known at the time. Half of what makes an art piece great is what the viewer perceives of it.
« Last Edit: March 26, 2009, 08:03:22 pm by a50callovenote »
Frak.