Author Topic: Drones in combat  (Read 8746 times)

Offline Getter Robo G

• Elite Super Robot Pilot
I will interject that if the weapon in question does have a selt destruct (abort) feature, providing you can hack it in minuest, seconds or less, you could in theory neutralize it...

"Don't think of it as being out-numbered, think of it as having a WIDE target selection!"

"I am the one and ONLY Star Dragon..."
Proof for the noobs:  Member Search

[I'm Just an idea guy, NOT: a modeler, texturer, or coder... Word of advice, "Watch out for the ducks!"]

Robotech II - Continuing...
FS2 Trek - Snails move faster than me...
Star Blazers: Journey to Iscandar...
FS GUNDAM - The Myth lives on... :)

Offline castor

• http://www.ffighters.co.uk./home/
Hacking would become a problem if they tried to create drones capable of replacing manned fighters/bombers.
Such things would need to be remote controllable. And they could be (more) easily captured and studied by shivans.

Offline Getter Robo G

• Elite Super Robot Pilot
Very true, but it's all in the DESIGN.

If I may add one of my own ideas:
I have a fighter with 6-8 "drones" I can detach, These drones are updated with MY targeting info so if I shoot at something THEY shoot at it also. If I am destroyed they either lock on and kamikaze the closest enemy unit, or self-destruct.

The key in drone security is access and capability. The more your features are HARD CODED and changeable only on site and NOT via remote, the less you are able to penetrate it and hack it.

At best, if an enemy ever discovers the unique identifier for any ONE fighter and it's drones then if there is any "confusion" a drone can be programmed to self abort until the confusion is abated, or just self destruct.

Ideally this means the enemy can start neutralizing drone sets ONE at a time, but you will neer get them to turn on you. Now if you have an enemy unit broadcasting the EXACT base control IFF signal and destroy the actual controlling fighter THEn you might in theory take over that drone as it's new MASTER...

But in mass combat (and no real focused planning) do you think it would actually happen outside of a bad "sci-fi Channel" movie plot???

I seriously doubt it...   :nervous:

The WORSE thing you could ever do is have a base use mass remotes and have them all ont eh  SAME FREQ. You are only begging someone with jamming or hacking knowledge to spank your arse with them...

:)

No strategy, however brilliant, survives piss poor incompetent implementation (be it by actual or arm chair generals)...
"Don't think of it as being out-numbered, think of it as having a WIDE target selection!"

"I am the one and ONLY Star Dragon..."
Proof for the noobs:  Member Search

[I'm Just an idea guy, NOT: a modeler, texturer, or coder... Word of advice, "Watch out for the ducks!"]

Robotech II - Continuing...
FS2 Trek - Snails move faster than me...
Star Blazers: Journey to Iscandar...
FS GUNDAM - The Myth lives on... :)

If I may add one of my own ideas:
I have a fighter with 6-8 "drones" I can detach, These drones are updated with MY targeting info so if I shoot at something THEY shoot at it also. If I am destroyed they either lock on and kamikaze the closest enemy unit, or self-destruct.

I believe that could be FREDable...
'Teeth of the Tiger' - campaign in the making
Story, Ships, Weapons, Project Leader.

Offline Androgeos Exeunt

• Captain Oblivious
  • Prevents attraction.
    • Wordpress.com Blog
The last bit is FREDdable, but everything before that is moot.
My blog

Quote: Tuesday, 3 October 2023 0133 UTC +8, #general
MP-Ryan
Oh you still believe in fairy tales like Santa, the Easter Bunny, and free market competition principles?

Offline Droid803

• Trusted poster of legit stuff
  • /人 ◕ ‿‿ ◕ 人\ Do you want to be a Magical Girl?
Well...you could make them 'attack my target' whenever you hit 'h'.
Or perhaps it could be done through scripting...

However, that would be pretty awesome.
(´・ω・`)
=============================================================

Offline Commander Zane

• Spoot Knight of Anvils
That would work fine for me.

Offline eliex

You'll need a repeat-count factor right? Last time I checked the max was 5 . . .

Offline Droid803

• Trusted poster of legit stuff
  • /人 ◕ ‿‿ ◕ 人\ Do you want to be a Magical Girl?
every-time-argument
-<list of hostile ships>
-is-targeted (or something like that)
----<argument>
-clear-goals
----Drones (make them a wing)
-ai-add-goal
----Drones
----ai-chase
-----<argument>

Something like that...

You could also rig something together with fire-beam if the said drones use beams, using is-target and key-pressed.
They'd only fire on your target if its in their fire cone, and just have their default order be to guard you.
Crap, I kinda wanna rig together a DRAGOON system now.
(´・ω・`)
=============================================================

Offline eliex

every-time-argument
-<list of hostile ships>
-is-targeted (or something like that)
----<argument>
-clear-goals
----Drones (make them a wing)
-ai-add-goal
----Drones
----ai-chase
-----<argument>

Hmm, I didn't think of that. By all rights, it should work fine - although it might not be too practical in anything other than a specialized mission revolving around the drones.