Author Topic: Allegiance - the best game you've never played  (Read 10035 times)

Offline TrashMan

• T-tower Avenger. srsly.
  • God-Emperor of your kind!
    • Minecraft
    • FLAMES OF WAR
Re: Allegiance - the best game you've never played
Well, he don't go on forever. AFAIK, they do lose some speed and eventually will slow down unless thrust is given.

But yea - you an afterburing in one direction, cut the throttle and tun around, shooting whoever there is behind you.
Nobody dies as a virgin - the life ****s us all!

You're a wrongularity from which no right can escape!

Offline Adept

• Steel Fury dammit!
    • Allegiance
Well, he don't go on forever. AFAIK, they do lose some speed and eventually will slow down unless thrust is given.

But yea - you an afterburing in one direction, cut the throttle and tun around, shooting whoever there is behind you.

If you hit "vector lock" or backthrust when going backwards your ship will keep going in that direction much better. If you just cut thrust and spin around the computer assist will think you want to stop and fire the main thrusters (at the rear of the ship) to stop you really quickly.

But yes, freedom of movement. Many of the best players almost never fly straight ahead, unless they are in a hurry to get somewhere.

Offline Mika

OK, I'll give it a shot. I'll contact you when I have time available for learning something a little bit more complex (maybe in a month or so). Send me a PM in which I can get you email so I don't need to resurrect this thread again.

Mika
Relaxed movement is always more effective than forced movement.

Offline Adept

• Steel Fury dammit!
    • Allegiance
OK, I'll give it a shot. I'll contact you when I have time available for learning something a little bit more complex (maybe in a month or so). Send me a PM in which I can get you email so I don't need to resurrect this thread again.

Mika

My Allegiance callsign is Adept. When you register for the website you can send me a private message with that.

I'll see you in space  :cool:

Offline Turambar

• Determined to inflict his entire social circle on us
  • You can't spell Manslaughter without laughter
Oddly enough, I came back here after I played Allegiance mostly because I didn't think Allegiance was pretty enough.
10:55:48   TurambarBlade: i've been selecting my generals based on how much i like their hats
10:55:55   HerraTohtori: me too!
10:56:01   HerraTohtori: :D

Offline Adept

• Steel Fury dammit!
    • Allegiance
Oddly enough, I came back here after I played Allegiance mostly because I didn't think Allegiance was pretty enough.

You shallow thing  :lol:

Allegiance is plenty pretty to me. The gameplay and the flight model still moves me to tears, and the aesthetics have never been a problem. Did you know there are a bazillion add ons you can use to tweak the graphics?

Not only that, but I learned today that we've recieved 32 CDs full of original & concept hi-res art from one of the developers. We'll end up updating the graphics to higher resolution using the original material!! Joy  :pimp:

Offline Dilmah G

• Failed juggling
  • Do try it.

Allegiance is plenty pretty to me. The gameplay and the flight model still moves me to tears, and the aesthetics have never been a problem. Did you know there are a bazillion add ons you can use to tweak the graphics?

Not only that, but I learned today that we've recieved 32 CDs full of original & concept hi-res art from one of the developers. We'll end up updating the graphics to higher resolution using the original material!! Joy  :pimp:

Woah, that's awesome :D

Secondly, I wonder if like interplay did anything similar

* -Joshua- thinks half of the SCP staff are actually :v: members in disguise :nervous:

Offline Romanmolf

• n00b... And loving it
Oh my! I never thought about that!

Offline Adept

• Steel Fury dammit!
    • Allegiance
Lot's of new players lately. I wonder if any of you chaps and gals have been around yet.  :cool:

Offline Dilmah G

• Failed juggling
  • Do try it.
* -Joshua- thinks half of the SCP staff are actually :v: members in disguise :nervous:

:v: members used to post on the forum a while ago didn't they?

Offline Hellstryker

• waffles
Man, I really need to get around to playing this. Been busy lately though. Did they ever get those newer nvidia card issues straightened out?

Offline Adept

• Steel Fury dammit!
    • Allegiance
Man, I really need to get around to playing this. Been busy lately though. Did they ever get those newer nvidia card issues straightened out?

The DX9 compatible version is still not the general issue one. One needs to look into the tech support section and download it manually if one has a new nVidia card. Sorry.

But trust me, Allegiance is worth it for any HC space combat fan.

Offline Adept

• Steel Fury dammit!
    • Allegiance
Maybe I should mention this as well. Check out our swanky leaderboard, which uses the "trueskill" algorithms. There are some big bonuses for having a player base with the average age of about 30.

http://leaderboard.alleg.net/

Offline captain-custard

• previously known as andicirk
  • one sandwich short of a picnic
i justt tried it its a bit cubist when it comes to the graphics
other than that im sure you could have fun

i think we should opost a link to the fsopen so that the players there can experience something with a lot more eyecandy and some good missions in multiplayer

"Duct tape is like the force. It has a light side, a dark side, and it holds the universe together."

Offline Kiloku

• Buzzbuzz!
    • Minecraft

Can you give me a link for such add ons and tweaks?
Potato!

Offline Adept

• Steel Fury dammit!
    • Allegiance
Can you give me a link for such add ons and tweaks?

Mesial's site is a good place to start:

http://www.mesialonline.com/Allegiance/alleg.html

Here's a little treat from that treasure trove of Allegiance development cd's that were released to us:

Offline Kiloku

• Buzzbuzz!
    • Minecraft
So people, I've been playing Alleg for the last week, and I really like it.
The hotkeys are different, so FS players may get lost, and the flight physics is different. The game uses directional thrusters a lot more than FS (which only really uses it in Mods), so instead of turning only by turning the joystick, you might have to use upward, downward, left or right thrusters, which adds a lot of tactics. The learning curve is steep, and I'm still slowly climbing it. The game requires a lot of teamwork, and that's great. You must have a lot of situational awareness, and tactical thinking. It has a mode that is somewhat like an RTS, which is when you use the command view, to give orders to the other players, or to the AI Units (constructors, miners, etc.)
The game flows greatly, and has many factions that have varied ways of playing.
Graphically, it's not as great as FS2 (with MediaVPs), but has some graphical upgrades too. (Mainly to textures and backgrounds.)

By the way, the in-game training isn't really good, IMO.
« Last Edit: March 22, 2009, 11:07:29 am by Kiloku »
Potato!

Offline Adept

• Steel Fury dammit!
    • Allegiance
By the way, the in-game training isn't really good, IMO.

To be honest it's awful, bordering on the useless. Then again, we do have a cadet program which is all the training anybody should need  :cool: