Author Topic: Allegiance - the best game you've never played  (Read 10048 times)

Offline Adept

• Steel Fury dammit!
    • Allegiance
Allegiance - the best game you've never played
Greetings FS2 fans

I hope I'm not the first to mention Allegiance here, but in case I am, here goes.

This Allegiance, right here

/edit:

Here's some truly glorious footage from a 10 vs. 10 deathmatch
http://www.motionbox.com/videos/0a99d6bc1211e7c387?iid=switch_player_&type=hd

I had a great review/advert style article written up, but apparently it has disappeared into a memory hole. I'll just do a teaser for now, and answer any questions you may have.

Here's the opening movie, in crappy youtube resolution: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pW9e7lgjBFY

Allegiance was created by Microsoft Research Group (which gave us such gems as Crimson Skies) in 1999 and released in 2000. It was a decade ahead of it's time then, and still unmatched now, especially as our beloved devs keep polishing and updating the game. It's a fully multi player space combat simulator, with elements of submarine hide-and-seek intelligence warfare. Every combat ship you meet from scouts to battleships will be crewed by human players. Every game starts from zero, so there is no level grind. All you take with you is skill, and reputation with fellow gamers.

The game should be one known for all space shooter fans. My personal favorites were the Wing Commander games (especially Prophecy) that had inertia. Allegiance has a great balance between realistic newtonian movement and the needs of gameplay. It has also slightly spoiled me, since as I can't map sidethrusters for true 3d freedom of movement in almost any other game they have lost their grip on me.

Such is the enduring pull of the game that many of our prominent players have played since the beta release in 1999. I kid you not, there are professional people in their fifties and sixties who are just as crafty and skilled as eight years of gaming will make you. But here's the best bit. Allegiance is all about team work. There are very useful and respected players who can't dogfight worth a damn. They build the probe networks to spy on enemy movement, fly the scouts and stealth fighters who don't rack up kills, but often ultimately lead to their side winning the game. Even the most heroically skilled player can't do much on his/her own. Bombing runs take most of the team working together, as does stopping such a run. Assaults on enemy miners, and the protection of the teams own assets takes coordination and cooperation.

In addition to the Interceptor-jockeys (the pilots), one guy on both (or each) teams takes the role of commander. He has a RTS gamers role, in investing the teams resources, building new space stations and working out overall strategy.

If you think you have what it takes to battle it out with and against other human pilots, head to www.freeallegiance.org and join the fray!

I leave you this wonderful background done by one of our pilots, using actual in game graphics. That's the Belters Junkyard Armada in action:

« Last Edit: January 20, 2009, 04:47:23 am by Adept »

Offline Adept

• Steel Fury dammit!
    • Allegiance
Re: Allegiance - the best game you've never played
One thing I have to mention. Our current version has trouble with the new Nvidia cards, as Nvidia dropped support of certain graphics functions used in older games. There's a beta test version of a DX9 compatible version available, and we have a great helpline. If the game seems to only get 10 FPS or so on your turbo-charged gaming comp, that's where the problem lies. Other than that, the game looks good and runs great even on really old machines.

Offline Flipside

• əp!sd!l£
Certainly looks interesting, but I'm sworn off of MMO's at the moment, since they tend to be a time-vacuum, and time is somewhat limited at the moment.

I'll certainly be taking a look after the Uni year finishes though :)

Offline Shade

Hey, I actually played it, so your title hurts my sensitive feelings! :p (Note: It doesn't really)

It's definitely a good game, and not actually an MMO.
Report FS_Open bugs with Mantis  |  Find the latest FS_Open builds Here  |  Interested in FRED? Check out the Wiki's FRED Portal | Diaspora: Website / Forums
"Oooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooh ****ing great. 2200 references to entry->index and no idea which is the one that ****ed up" - Karajorma
"We are all agreed that your theory is crazy. The question that divides us is whether it is crazy enough to have a chance of being correct." - Niels Bohr
<Cobra|> You play this mission too intelligently.

Offline Flipside

• əp!sd!l£
Well, basically, anything where some kind of team is needing a member that can be relied on to be around at certain times etc, since I'm not certain when I could get online to play etc, I wouldn't exactly be reliable, and that wouldn't be fair on the team.

Offline Adept

• Steel Fury dammit!
    • Allegiance
Well, basically, anything where some kind of team is needing a member that can be relied on to be around at certain times etc, since I'm not certain when I could get online to play etc, I wouldn't exactly be reliable, and that wouldn't be fair on the team.

I'll try to clarify this up a bit.

The games last about an hour each, and there's usually one going or starting soon (the active player base it fairly small at the moment, due in part to the graphics hickups, so it can get pretty quiet when most people in the US and Europe are asleep).

If there's a game in progress, you just look which side is down a in players and join up. There are player ranks to help us all keep the games balanced. There are no permanent teams, all players on one side are a team, so they are very fluid. The game is very complex, and especially commanding is not something to attempt in your first few months.

On the more permanent teams side, I belong to an Allegiance Squadron called Steel Fury. There are many of these, and we play Squad Games on sundays.

We also have a Cadet program, run by really cool people. Allegiance is a complex game, and the cadet school (both a newbie course and a higher level course) are there to help new and returning gamers get fully into the game. Cadet was absolutely cool, and I still can't believe such a professional thing is run by fans for fans, just for the love of the game.

Here's my game banner, with the wings from my cadet class:

Offline Polpolion

• The sizzle, it thinks!
    • Minecraft
I tried playing it a while ago, but it didn't like my internet connection. Haven't touched it since.

Offline Adept

• Steel Fury dammit!
    • Allegiance
I tried playing it a while ago, but it didn't like my internet connection. Haven't touched it since.

Can you specify? Did you get high ping or what happened? Maybe it's something I can help with.

Here's more game pics. Iron Coalition Fighter Bombers approaching an aleph (that is - wormhole).
Personally I have turned off the nebula's from the background, so I can see a bit better. Alternatively there's a whole lot of graphics enhancements one can upload if one wants more eye candy.

Offline Getter Robo G

• Elite Super Robot Pilot
I'm always willing to try some thing new(old).

Especially since first tiem around I limited myself to ONE pay-to-play game (EQ1) I missed out.

Problem, I tried to register 3 times , getting an asgent? Server Error...
"Don't think of it as being out-numbered, think of it as having a WIDE target selection!"

"I am the one and ONLY Star Dragon..."
Proof for the noobs:  Member Search

[I'm Just an idea guy, NOT: a modeler, texturer, or coder... Word of advice, "Watch out for the ducks!"]

Robotech II - Continuing...
FS2 Trek - Snails move faster than me...
Star Blazers: Journey to Iscandar...
FS GUNDAM - The Myth lives on... :)

Offline Adept

• Steel Fury dammit!
    • Allegiance
I'm always willing to try some thing new(old).

Especially since first tiem around I limited myself to ONE pay-to-play game (EQ1) I missed out.

Problem, I tried to register 3 times , getting an asgent? Server Error...

Can you be a bit more spesific. Did you register a callsign already? ASGS (the security system you launch the game through) may cause anti virus softwares and firewalls to block it's action. At least I needed to check my "blocked programs" list, and give it permission to send info out. It's our (utterly brilliant) anti cheating system. It basically makes sure the allegiance files haven't been tampered with, and links your callsign to your computer.

Played it a few years ago. Couldn't really get into it.

Offline Ransom

• M. Night Russel
  • It will not wait.
    • Rate of Injury
I actually installed this and registered an account some time last year but never got around to setting it up properly. Hmm.

Offline Adept

• Steel Fury dammit!
    • Allegiance
A professional recorded some combat footage a few days ago. It looks gorgeous. I'll link it here when it's out offiscially.

Seriously, the combat and gameplay is the best space flying you'll find anywhere. The learning curve is high, so don't expect to get good quickly... but it's all worth it.

Offline asyikarea51

• -__-||
Read some of the stuff at the website sometime last year, and all of it gave off this overwhelming "hard-line extreme dedication and neo-elitist level of discipline required to play this game" feel.

Enough to actually scare me away.

I don't consider myself as one of those "casual" gamers who play without much purpose, but I also don't like the intense atmosphere of fighting for something at an ultra-top level either... experience with some other game showed that to me.
Inferno plz
The Power of Nightmares
TheHound: "Nice idea, but I have a thing against announcing campaigns before having them already finished."
G5K: "The flipside of that is that if you don't announce your campaign, yet take too long to finish it, other people may independently come up with some of the same ideas."

Offline Adept

• Steel Fury dammit!
    • Allegiance
I don't consider myself as one of those "casual" gamers who play without much purpose, but I also don't like the intense atmosphere of fighting for something at an ultra-top level either... experience with some other game showed that to me.

I can see how it can look like that.

Thing is, it's actually very easy to get into the game. A new player can be super useful piloting a scout. You can eye enemy stuff and learn when to run and how to stay alive "Ripcording!". If you fly a scout, put down probes and fix friendly ships/miners/cons with the nanite repair system, you'll be loved from the get go.

There's a lot of us who go out of our way to help new player over the initial hump in the learning curve.

Think of Allegiance in the same way as with Warbirds or those other WW-II multiplayer games. One needs to set up good controls and read up on the basics. Still you have the 3D-freedom of space flight, so you won't be crashing on the ground so much (maybe hit the occasional asteroid). Being familiar with things like Freespace and Wing Commander really helps too.

I have played it, and I quite liked it (Therefore, it is not the best game i've never played. That would be... Heck, I don't know. Any suggestions?)), Especially when I used my I-war learned tactics to take down an heavy bomber in a Scout :) (I only managed that once... It is like taking down an Ares in an peggy (with Realflight physics)).

From what I hear from Battlefield 2(142), its quite like it, featuring one commander, and the 'soldiers' following orders.

I had no real problems learning to play the games, the tutorials were nice and my universal knowledge came in quite handy. Especially the I-War and BtrL knowledge.

Offline Dilmah G

• Failed juggling
  • Do try it.

From what I hear from Battlefield 2(142), its quite like it, featuring one commander, and the 'soldiers' following orders.

Battlefield 2142 FT-****ING-W

Superb game, if it's anything like 2142 I'll get Alliegance, how much does it retail for?

Offline Hellstryker

• waffles

Battlefield 2142 FT-****ING-W

Superb game, if it's anything like 2142 I'll get Alliegance, how much does it retail for?

$0  :p

Offline Adept

• Steel Fury dammit!
    • Allegiance
Allegiance is absolutely free!!!*

My experience is kind of like Joshuas. One can pick up the basics quick when one is experienced with space combat games. Oh and Joshua, come play more. The game is better than ever

*Microsoft, in a rare moment of niceness released the source code to the fans when they lost interest in developing the game. We're still developing and polishing it.

There are even mods (cores) for Star Wars and Battlestar Galactica versions. They are played some, but mostly it's the latest iteration of standard Allegiance that gets played. Sometimes just deathmatches, but mostly Conquest. The full game, that is.

Offline karajorma

• King Louie - Jungle VIP
  • Administrator
    • Karajorma's Freespace FAQ
Seriously, the combat and gameplay is the best space flying you'll find anywhere.

Them's fighting words, mister. :p
Karajorma's Freespace FAQ. It's almost like asking me yourself.

[ Diaspora ] - [ Seeds Of Rebellion ] - [ Mind Games ]