Author Topic: Questions regarding terminology.  (Read 3248 times)

Questions regarding terminology.
We all know that BSG is fraught with new and semi-exotic terms analogous to what we, especially in the military, may be familiar with: "Bingo Fuel", "Krypter! Krypter! Krypter!", "Cylon BaseStar bearing 126 Carom 019!" etc, etc.

I was wondering if you guys had any ideas as to what you might use to fill the gaps? if "Krypter" = "Mayday" what would you use for "Pan Pan" or "Securite". To my knowledge we haven't seen any equivalents in the show, but I'm just curious.

BTW, please tell me that you won't use the term "Repeat" and instead will use the proper "Say again" or "I say again"

Offline FraktuRe

• Not stupid enough
  • Cheesy oneliner, *****es!
    • Fraktured Reality
Re: Questions regarding terminology.
I'm not sure about words like that, though I do remember the team (on btrl) had a replacement for the NATO Phonetic alphabet (alpha, bravo, charlie, etc), so I'm sure they've got a list or at least the ideas on what to say.
Or something.
There’s nothing like the truth skewed into the mind of the insane.
- Fraktured Reality
The artist formerly known as Cl1nt.

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
  • i wonder when my postcount will exceed my iq
From the show we know that it's 'Alpha Bravo Constellation', and that 'N' is Nebula. I don't remember if we have any other substitutes.

Ah, the Colonial Wireless Alphabet.

These are ones that have appeared in the show.

A   Alpha/Alfa
B   Bravo
C   Constellation
D   Delta
E   Echo
G   Gamma
N   Nebula
S   Sierra
T   Tango
X   X-ray

The RPG book has the rest.
I refer you to this page: http://en.battlestarwiki.org/wiki/Colonial_Wireless_Alphabet

Offline Snagger

Ah, the Colonial Wireless Alphabet.

These are ones that have appeared in the show.

A   Alpha/Alfa
B   Bravo
C   Constellation
D   Delta
E   Echo
G   Gamma
N   Nebula
S   Sierra
T   Tango
X   X-ray

The RPG book has the rest.
I refer you to this page: http://en.battlestarwiki.org/wiki/Colonial_Wireless_Alphabet
In other words, they have used the standard international phonetic alphabet, with a few exceptions where they can use "space words" to fit the SF contect.  It's a bit lame.

As for "Pan-pan" or "securite" equivalents, most ICAO and Eu-Ops countries don't recognise those two phrases, recognising only "Mayday".  So if they're not used much in the real world, there's little need for them in the show.

Offline karajorma

• King Louie - Jungle VIP
  • Administrator
    • Karajorma's Freespace FAQ
It's really about using space words. Many of the names simply can't be used. You can't use India, Zulu or Yankee for instance.
Karajorma's Freespace FAQ. It's almost like asking me yourself.

[ Diaspora ] - [ Seeds Of Rebellion ] - [ Mind Games ]

Offline newman

I don't think we actually need the equivalents of pan-pan and securite. The show certainly doesn't.
Pretty sure we can write around that, especially since the game will revolve around combat with the cylons - meaning all distress calls are life-threatening :)
You know what the chain of command is? It's the chain I go get and beat you with 'til ya understand who's in ruttin' command here! - Jayne Cobb

Offline Deckard

• DECK-A-R&D

F   Frack?  :D
-------------------------------
Deckard a.k.a The Silencer

Offline Axem

We're using Fractal -er I mean Frak-tal...  :nervous:

True story.

Offline Mongoose

• Rikki-Tikki-Tavi
  • Global Moderator
  • This brain for rent.
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
    • Something
I'd just like to know how "Constellation" makes any sense at all for abbreviated vocal communications.  It's four friggin' syllables, for crying out loud. :p

Offline Rian

I believe the idea is to remove ambiguity, not to abbreviate. It’s difficult to mistake “constellation,” even heard through radio fuzz, but a shorter word would be more easily cut off, garbled, or misinterpreted.

"bingo" and "joker" are two terms used today to refer to fuel. "bingo" means two minutes left before having to head back, joker means you must head back to base (or tanker) now on remaining fuel.