Author Topic: Galemp's Northern European Tour 2009  (Read 27285 times)

Offline Galemp

• Actual father of Samus
  • Ask me about GORT!
    • Steam
    • User page on the FreeSpace Wiki
Re: Galemp's Northern European Tour 2009
The bad news is, my time in Amsterdam is over. The good news is, I'm in Paris now! These won't be the kinds of Paris photos you're used to seeing, though. This is my third trip, and I want to try and see the things I haven't seen yet. After all, you could spend a lifetime at the Louvre, but I had to find out what I was missing.

I had time after my train came in to trek over to La Defense, the business district of Paris, and its centrepiece, La Grande Arche.

Hm... that doesn't really communicate any scale, does it? Perhaps this will help.

Yeah, it's REALLY big. The centre hole is as wide as the Champs-Elysee, and is so tall that Notre Dame Cathedral could fit inside comfortably. It sits at the other end of the Axe Historique that runs from the Louvre to the Arc de Triomphe, and the rooftop view from the other side is quite nice.

Saturday started with the Opera Garnier, a ridiculous Rococo box that looks like it should be made of porcelain and sitting on a doily.

Likewise, the interior is very, very French.

Charles Garnier did display remarkable innovation in his design, though, insofar as it broke from previous tradition and invented its own 'style.' At times, it almost seems to anticipate the Art Nouveau aesthetic that was to appear fifty years later.

Speaking of Art Nouveau, I found plenty of Hector Guimard's Metro stations around. I was pleasantly surprised, as I thought they were rare, but so far about half the stations I've been through have featured his work.

Next up, the basilica of Sacre Coeur in Montmartre--specifically, the dome. From the underground metro station to street level, up the grueling hill, then all the way up to the dome, it must have been 500 steps.

The route takes you up and down and over the walls and parapets and around gargoyles and lanterns. You can get really intimate with the church this way.

And, of course, the legendary view from Montmartre, the best in Paris, is made even better.

I'm leeching internet from a stranger right now, so the next few posts may or may not happen tonight, and some of the photos might not show up either.
"Anyone can do any amount of work, provided it isn't the work he's supposed to be doing at that moment." -- Robert Benchley

Members I've personally met: RedStreblo, Goober5000, Sandwich, Splinter, Su-tehp, Hippo, CP5670, Terran Emperor, Karajorma, Dekker, McCall, Admiral Wolf, mxlm, RedSniper, Stealth, Black Wolf...

Offline Galemp

• Actual father of Samus
  • Ask me about GORT!
    • Steam
I have heard stories about Pere Lachaise cemetery, that every dead Frenchmen you've ever known is buried there. There's enough foreigners there, too, that it's become a pilgrimage for some people. What I didn't know is that Pere Lachaise isn't a cemetery... it's a freaking necropolis. THIS is the density of the tombs, sarcophagi, and sepulchers there.

Completely packed, side to side and front to back. There are some graves that have been there for almost two centuries, some graves that everyone knows about...

...and some more recent, but no less deeply loved.

At the centre of the cemetery is a really creepy crematorium. It is surrounded on all sides by hundreds and hundreds of little cubbyholes for the remains of the cremated, which consist mainly of the war dead.

Last stop for the day was Parc de la Vilette, on the city limits to the northeast of Paris. Built between 1983-1985, it is officially my favorite public park in any city, anywhere, and I only wish I had kids to take with me! Architect Bernard Tschumi developed three overlapping systems to organize the park that will be familiar to any 3D modelers here: Points, Lines, and Surfaces.

That red cubic thingy on the left is one of the 'points:' one of about two dozen follies spaced on a regular grid through the park. Each one is based on the same cubic dimensions, and shares the same architectural language and is painted bright red, but they can serve park functions (information desk, performance space) service functions (fast food restaurant, first aid) or aesthetic functions (belvedere, bridge terminus.)

There's three 'lines' in the park, one that runs adjacent to the canal, another that runs perpendicular and connects the two most distant corners of the park, and a third squiggly path that meanders through the park and around most of the folies and major park features. Between these lines, the park is carved into 'surfaces' with spaces to play, sunbathe, and picnic, or gardens with flowers, trees, or modern sculpture, including this gigantic submerged bicycle by my favorite pop artist, Claes Oldenberg.

On top of all that there's plenty of imagination-churning adventure play areas for kids of all ages, rides and snacks, and a huge Science Center with an IMAX theatre. Seriously, if you are going to Paris with children, take a day off from the art museums and tourist landmarks, and spend the day at Parc de la Vilette. You won't regret it.

This was the night that made all those days working in Amsterdam pay off: Gruyere fondue and French white wine with new friends. Eating well is Paris is a true pleasure, and not one I was going to miss out on.

So, with some wine, fondue, wine, introductions, beer, and resolutions, we decided that it would just be GREAT to go see the Eiffel Tower at night, Taking along some more beers to the Champ de Mars we settled down and waited for the show.

Sure enough, every hour on the hour, the Tower's spotlights shut down and for a few minutes, it sparkles with randomly glittering white lights.

But when the show was over, the golden lights didn't turn back on again...

Then we realized that it was probably because at 1 AM they turn it off and go home. We got our first Metro train, but by the time we got to our connection they had stopped running, so we had a walk to do. Still, an exhilarating day.
"Anyone can do any amount of work, provided it isn't the work he's supposed to be doing at that moment." -- Robert Benchley

Members I've personally met: RedStreblo, Goober5000, Sandwich, Splinter, Su-tehp, Hippo, CP5670, Terran Emperor, Karajorma, Dekker, McCall, Admiral Wolf, mxlm, RedSniper, Stealth, Black Wolf...

Offline Galemp

• Actual father of Samus
  • Ask me about GORT!
    • Steam
Sunday morning! Today's agenda, Rive Gauche (Left Bank,) within walking distance of the hostel and all pretty new to me. Jardin des Plantes seemed to have half of Paris jogging through it; it's a favorite spot for locals as it's relatively out of the way, and has some very nice natural history and zoological gardens.

I got free admission into the Museum of Paleontology and Comparative Anatomy, which was unlike any other natural history museum I've been in. It's really hardcore--no interactive multimedia displays, no animatronic dinosaurs--everything was curated by 19th century naturalists, and hasn't been renovated. The only reason there was any COLOR in the building was because of the Darwin's 200th Birthday celebrations.

The key here is that it is the gallery of comparative anatomy, which means that the hundreds of skeletons on display are grouped according to species, genus, and family, At a glance, you can compare whales, manatees and walruses, look at humans side by side with the Great Apes, compare the skulls of all the Great Cats, or in some places directly compare the similarities between all the vertebrates, such as the hand structure of humans, bats, and dolphins. Incredibly educational.

The nearby French Pantheon has seen lots of troubles over its lifetime; completed just before the Revolution as the Church of St. Genevieve, it has been secularized and re-dedicated at least five times since then. Its current role is as a monument and mausoleum for great French heroes.

Voltaire and Rousseau are buried here, as are Victor Hugo, Marie Curie, Louis Braille, and champions of the French resistance in World War II.

Science buffs may be interested to hear that under the Pantheon's dome is where Focault installed his famous pendulum, to demonstrate the rotation of the Earth. Now that all the bickering over turning it into a church has finally settled, the pendulum has recently been reinstated.

On my way toward the Seine, I was compelled to stop at Jean Nouvel's Institute du Monde Arabe (Institute for the Arabic World,) built to foster understanding and peace between the Western world and the Arabic world.

The building's southern facade is patterned like Islamic sun screening lattices, and serves the same function--but with a modern twist.

Each one of those little apertures is articulated like a camera shutter, and can iris open or close to allow more or less light into the building, controlled by light sensors mounted on the panel. Pretty cool, huh?

There's a rooftop restaurant with (yet another) stunning view of the city.

Crossing the river, I figured I was in the area and may as well stop at Notre Dame de Paris. See, now THIS is why I want to live in a city. People go their entire lives longing to see these kinds of places, and I just happened to be in the neighborhood and so went in. It really doesn't get any better than that.

The remainder of the afternoon was spent at the Centre Pompidou, the prototypical collaboration between Renzo Piano and Richard Rogers that launched both their professional careers and architectural theories. Like the later Lloyd's building in London, they turned the normal building model (central service core, curtain walls) inside out (push all the service elements to the outside, leaving a great wide open space in the middle.)

Unique to the Pompidou though is that they also picked out the service elements in color: red for human circulation systems, blue for heating/ventilation/air conditioning, green for plumbing, yellow for electrical systems, and white for structural systems, with everything else (like emergency stairways) in dark gray. Current exhibitions are Kandinsky and Calder.

Well, that nearly wraps it up. My feet feel like they're worn down to bloody stumps, so although it's possible I'll go out again tonight it seems unlikely. Tomorrow morning I'll have time for the Luxembourg Gardens before my train departs, but that will be about it, I think. I can't believe I'm leaving already... feels like I just got here.

Offline Wobble73

• Reality is for people with no imagination
    • Steam
I have heard stories about Pere Lachaise cemetery, that every dead Frenchmen you've ever known is buried there. There's enough foreigners there, too, that it's become a pilgrimage for some people. What I didn't know is that Pere Lachaise isn't a cemetery... it's a freaking necropolis. THIS is the density of the tombs, sarcophagi, and sepulchers there.

Completely packed, side to side and front to back. There are some graves that have been there for almost two centuries, some graves that everyone knows about...

...and some more recent, but no less deeply loved.

At the centre of the cemetery is a really creepy crematorium. It is surrounded on all sides by hundreds and hundreds of little cubbyholes for the remains of the cremated, which consist mainly of the war dead.

Damn shame you didn't get a shot of Jim Morrison's tomb/Grave (lead singer of The Doors) I believe he is buried there somewhere. I'd love to see how that is looking these days, covered by the graffiti of his adoring fans!

Who is General Failure and why is he reading my hard disk?
Early bird gets the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese
Ambition is a poor excuse for not having enough sense to be lazy.

Member of the Scooby Doo Fanclub. And we're not talking a cartoon dog here people!!

You would be well adviced to question the wisdom of older forumites, we all have our preferences and perversions

Offline Mongoose

• Rikki-Tikki-Tavi
  • Global Moderator
  • This brain for rent.
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
    • Something
Damn shame you didn't get a shot of Jim Morrison's tomb/Grave (lead singer of The Doors) I believe he is buried there somewhere. I'd love to see how that is looking these days, covered by the graffiti of his adoring fans!
Um...

:p

Really great pictures, as usual.  I'm far too much of a homebody to ever travel abroad, especially not by myself, but if I ever did, I feel like I'd have to take a lot more than an introductory History of Architecture course to really appreciate what I was seeing.

Offline Galemp

• Actual father of Samus
  • Ask me about GORT!
    • Steam
Wobble: Click the picture to enlarge it. That IS the grave of one James Douglas Morrison. Things have apparently calmed down quite a bit, all the remaining graffiti is decades-old stuff they couldn't get rid of.
Now, Oscar Wilde's tomb, on the other hand...

Mongoose: A pre-modern architectural history course, and an art history course, would be great investments before a trip to Europe (Especially Italy.) That way you can tell a Monet from a Miro, at least, but every destination has enough information available that you'll be fine. You can also take advantage of the audio tours in most museums to help you make sense of what it is you're looking at.
« Last Edit: May 10, 2009, 05:30:42 pm by Galemp »

Offline Wobble73

• Reality is for people with no imagination
    • Steam
Mom here. Understandable mistake about Jim's grave, there was another headstone which was a full bust of Jim with flowing hair etc. From what I remember it was either vandalized or changed for some reason quite a few years ago. Boy do I wish I still had that photo from 1981! Super pics Peter, I am green with envy. Luv ya!

Sorry, yeah, that was the pic of the headstone I remember seeing. And I have my internet optimised to show pics at a lower quality/resolution so it loads pictures quicker. I didn't manage to read the headstone! I was looking for the bust!
Who is General Failure and why is he reading my hard disk?
Early bird gets the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese
Ambition is a poor excuse for not having enough sense to be lazy.

Member of the Scooby Doo Fanclub. And we're not talking a cartoon dog here people!!

You would be well adviced to question the wisdom of older forumites, we all have our preferences and perversions

Offline Galemp

• Actual father of Samus
  • Ask me about GORT!
    • Steam
home. jetlag. tired. graduating this weekend.

will conclude with those pics, then archive this thread.

Offline Galemp

• Actual father of Samus
  • Ask me about GORT!
    • Steam

So now, degree in hand, I head off to face the real world.

Thanks to all who followed me! I hope this has inspired you to head out and do some traveling of your own!

Offline Goober5000

• HLP Loremaster
    • Goober5000 Productions
Yay!

EDIT: Err... I think it's a little premature to tell whether this thread is a classic (or else I'd be breaking my own rules); so I've moved the thread back to the Port forum. :)
« Last Edit: May 18, 2009, 05:13:34 am by Goober5000 »

Offline colecampbell666

• I See Dead Pictures
  • Evolution and ascension.
Congrats!
Gettin' back to dodgin' lasers.

you've never really had a Belgian waffle. They are AMAZING

I know, I have family in belgium. I spend more time in belgium cities then in dutch ones o_0.