Author Topic: Ep. 417 "No Exit" Discussion (SPOILERS)  (Read 13499 times)

Ep. 417 "No Exit" Discussion (SPOILERS)
Let me see if I get this straight...

The original 12 tribes created humanoid AI. There was some sort of conflict, and this AI left Kobol, becoming the 13th tribe. They eventually settled on Earth, where they flourish in their new society, able to reproduce like humans. Then something happened, they had their own holocaust, and were wiped out, except for 5 that foresaw the end coming. These 5 backtracked to the 12 colonies, to try and warn the humans, except they were too late. So the made a deal with the Centurions: human-form bodies and resurrection technology in exchange for peace. Problem was, the Ones, John, didn't like the idea of being human and having peace. So they tricked the 5, wiped their memories, and tossed them into the 12 colonies. The rest is history.

The whole thing is both very revealing, and extremely confusing. All in all though, I like how Moore, Eick, and the writers have pieced it all together. It feels right, and makes sense. Looking forward to getting more information though...the whole thing is still a bit hazy, with too many gaps.

Speaking of gaps, poor Galactica! She's tearing apart at the seams. I guess even ships can be imperfect, no matter how heroic they seem. I liked Tyrol's quip about the cost cutting during her construction; really brings to mind the old saw about remembering that your gun was made by the lowest bidder. And now she's gonna be part Cylon...that should be interesting.

Excitement and action wise, this episode was lacking. But it did a good job of progressing the story, and tying together some of the hanging threads we've had. So for those of us that like character and story development just as much as bang bang action scenes, I think it was a good episode.

P.S. - Here's predicting that one of the Daniels escaped, and was Kara's father.
« Last Edit: February 13, 2009, 10:07:50 pm by Angreifer »

Offline Hellstryker

• waffles
Re: Ep. 417 "No Exit" Discussion (SPOILERS)
Arr, will do. Making popcorn now.  :nod:

1 hour later...

And... that was... not what I expected :\

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
  • i wonder when my postcount will exceed my iq
HOLY **** HOLY **** HOLY ****

Superb episode. Nothing happened, it was pure exposition, but man, it explained about half of the show.

And Kate Vernon can act.

And less CGI now means more CGI space battles later (I pray.)

I think there's gonna definitely be one more big, huge, holy frak battle in this show before it ends...would be crazy not to have one. And besides, I don't expect Cavil/John just fading away; that sadistic bastard is going out with a bang!

Offline Angelus

• The Angriest Angel
OK.

Finally! Answers!

Ellen is the mother of all human models, she made 'em!
Didn't expect that, all other final cylons are more or less true to their "human" character.
I mean, they didn't change that much, except for Tori.

13 Cylons. Makes sense, there are 13 tribes.
My first thought was the 13th Cylon is Starbuck, but it's a male. Does anyone here shout's Baltar?  ;)
Cavil is more badass then usual, Boomer takes, like promised by RDM a important part in the last episodes.

And: GALACTICA GOES BIOLOGICAL!!! F*CK YEAH! IF they can implement that there IS a chance that the Bucket survives.

Regarding Starbuck:
Spoiler:

My Theory:

Ellen and Boomer manage to escape. They also mange to get a heavy raider.
Starbuck dies in the Maelstrom. They pick up the debries and the body.
They go to the colony, clone Starbuck and analyze the Brain ( like Cavil wanted to do with ellen ).
They go to earth, put there the debriis of Kara's Viper after they send her clone back to the fleet.

A great episode!

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
Ellen isn't the mother of the Final Five, only the Significant Seven (Excellent Eight, now that we know about Daniel/Number Seven?)

Offline Angelus

• The Angriest Angel
Ellen isn't the mother of the Final Five, only the Significant Seven (Excellent Eight, now that we know about Daniel/Number Seven?)

Ellen invented the resurrection process, she also was mostly responsible for the creation of the human models.

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action

Ellen invented the resurrection process, she also was mostly responsible for the creation of the human models.

The Cylons from Kobol had resurrection; it was lost; Ellen helped rediscover it.

She was not responsible for the creation of Tory, Tigh, Anders, or Tyrol, who were all created on Kobol, or by procreation between Kobol-Cylons on Earth.

Offline Hellstryker

• waffles

Superb episode. Nothing happened, it was pure exposition, but man, it explained about half of the show.

And Kate Vernon can act.

Yeah but that wasn't really what bothered me. It seemed too... fast. It was a lot of "Wow what the hell" stuff all at once. It certainly didn't help that more than half of it was being delivered by a dude with a bullet lodged in his brain.

Galactica with Cylon tech is interesting, though... I wonder if we're going to see some new textures.

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action

And Kate Vernon can act.

Yeah but that wasn't really what bothered me. It seemed too... fast. It was a lot of "Wow what the hell" stuff all at once. It certainly didn't help that more than half of it was being delivered by a dude with a bullet lodged in his brain.

Galactica with Cylon tech is interesting, though... I wonder if we're going to see some new textures.

Yeah, the writing was largely pretty poor (new writer by the way.) But if you accept its function as an infodump episode, it works not too shabbily.

Offline Ace

• Truth of Babel
    • http://www.lordofrigel.com
The timescale doesn't match up for Ellen to be responsible for Starbuck, since she was imprisoned by the Cavilry doing the battle of the nebula. I was half expecting a scene of her patching into the baseship and sending a signal to the others, (causing the power outage) with Cavil barging in and going "WHAT DID YOU DO!"

Anyway, it seems that the vision at the Temple of the Five, the supernova, Kara's death and resurrection, and the activation of the Four are all being orchestrated by a third party. The same third party who warned the Five about the impending doom, and are the 'head' entities. (possibly also tied to the ramblings of the hybrids?)
Ace
Self-plagiarism is style.
-Alfred Hitchcock

wow :)

SPOILERS

while anders was incoherant at times he did answer allot of questions along with ellen

the final 5 were responsible for the armistice. very intresting
the reason that they are over 2000 years old is due to the lact of jump drives. as people may know ships traveling fast enought through space the crew will have experience the passage of time differently to the rest of the universe.

they noted that they said organic memory transfere. this implys that starbuck could be downloaded, my guess is daniel was her father and set up a means for her to download if nescessery. all speculation though.

the 7s (daniel) were destroyed during maturation by john (ones)

daniel is mentioned as an artist. we know from

SPOILERS

Spoiler:
that kara meets an enigmatic piano player in followin episodes. possibly daniel

« Last Edit: February 14, 2009, 05:00:19 am by karajorma »

Offline Unknown Target

• Get off my lawn!
  • Push.Pull?
Woo, big infodump episode. Probably going to have to rewatch it, but from what I gather, there was a war on Kobol with the humans vs Cylons. The Cylons left and established Earth, while the humans left and established the 12 colonies, Kobol being decimated. The Cylons on Earth did not have resurrection or jump technology; they were basically humans. Eventually they created their own race of Cylon slaves. Warned of the upcoming war, the Final Five resurrected resurrection technology (bad pun intended), and left to go warn the humans on the 12 colonies to keep the Cylons close and not to mistreat them - they arrived too late. So they made a deal with the Cylons that if they gave them Rez technology (which, btw, I'm assuming that the Hub is actually that very same ship that they traveled on), they would stop the war, and they did.

John was angry with the fives for creating them in the image of man, so he airlocked them and then wiped their memories, implanting them in the human race soon after the war was over - if Ellen is correct, to torture them further.

Very interesting episode, a lot to stew over.

Offline FraktuRe

• Not stupid enough
  • Cheesy oneliner, *****es!
    • Fraktured Reality
Unknown Target seems to have picked up the same stuff as me.

It all makes sense, and definitely need to know the rest!
Or something.
There’s nothing like the truth skewed into the mind of the insane.
- Fraktured Reality
The artist formerly known as Cl1nt.

Offline newman

I was almost positive this week's episode would be a step down from the last one... and I'm glad I was wrong. It's different, last one was more about action while this one more about the underlying story, but it was really great. I've always been afraid of the ending story - it could only be awesome or suck badly. And so far, it's leaning towards awesome - the explanations so far work very well for me.
As for the bucket, I'm glad they're finding a way to keep her in action, but I'm really hoping they're not going to change her appearance on the outside, at least not too much. We're talking structural changes, ship's "bones" as the chief put it, so the plating on the outside might not get modified.
Ellen works surprisingly well as a Cylon - I was very pleasantly surprised by her character in this episode. Looking forward to seeing more of her.
« Last Edit: February 14, 2009, 05:14:09 am by newman »
You know what the chain of command is? It's the chain I go get and beat you with 'til ya understand who's in ruttin' command here! - Jayne Cobb

I think UT summed it up a bit better than I did. Here's something I'm wondering though...are the Cavils the ones that programmed the other "normal" Cylons to never think about the Final Five? Gotta wonder if the Cavils have been pulling the strings of the Cylons this whole time they thought they were a democracy. I'm also wondering how the Centurions fit into this...they're the ones that are responsible for the human-form Cylons in the first place.

Offline Herra Tohtori

• The Academic
  • Bad command or file name
I'm actually wondering how much power Cavil actually has and how much he thinks he has...

The Centurions might still have a word or two to say before the end. Well, not literally. But you know what I mean.
There are three things that last forever: Abort, Retry, Fail - and the greatest of these is Fail.

Offline FraktuRe

• Not stupid enough
  • Cheesy oneliner, *****es!
    • Fraktured Reality
Well the Centurions are sentient, but have had some form of inhibitor placed in them. The rebel cylons removed those chips, caville hasn't.

Caville was the first humanoid cylon, and helped create the others, but didn't do it himself.
Or something.
There’s nothing like the truth skewed into the mind of the insane.
- Fraktured Reality
The artist formerly known as Cl1nt.

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
Update upon rewatch: Ellen (and likely the other Five) were, in fact, products of procreation between Kobol-model humanoid Cylons. Otherwise Ellen wouldn't have had a father named John.

EDIT:

ADDITIONAL HOLY ****

So, upon rewatch, in this middle of his craziness, Anders mentions 'warning signs' that the Final Five received before the Holocaust on Earth. "I saw a woman, you saw a man...Tyrol, you thought you had a chip in your head..."

They all had virtual entities in their heads, just like HeadSix with Baltar, and HeadBaltar for Caprica-Six.

They virtual beings really are angels of God! Or so it seems.
« Last Edit: February 14, 2009, 01:36:13 pm by General Battuta »

Offline Deckard

• DECK-A-R&D
That reminds me of the comment the doctress made at the end of the show. " He [Anders.. his consciousness.. ] seemed her to do not be in there [ into his body - brain ] ". Which sounds very promising to me :)

By the way.. at last we've seen Cylon Launching tubes ! :D
-------------------------------
Deckard a.k.a The Silencer