Author Topic: Ep. 419 "Someone to Watch Over Me" Discussion (SPOILERS)  (Read 15571 times)

Re: Ep. 419 "Someone to Watch Over Me" Discussion (SPOILERS)
Also, we've seen before that Helo isn't exactly the brightest bulb in the bunch...probably once Boomer started putting the moves on him, any strange differences would have seemed inconsequential.  ;7 As for Tyrol recognizing Boomer, the way he looked at her seemed to me to signify that he recognized her in a way only Cylons can tell each other apart. Some kind of IFF.

Offline FraktuRe

• Not stupid enough
  • Cheesy oneliner, *****es!
    • Fraktured Reality
All the cylons can identify each other easily, you've seen it many times with Athena.
Or something.
There’s nothing like the truth skewed into the mind of the insane.
- Fraktured Reality
The artist formerly known as Cl1nt.

Offline iamzack

The cyclons aren't all perfectly identical, and they clearly have differing experiences and personalities, which means they'll have slightly different mannerisms, speaking patterns, walking styles, etc. If you know someone really well for a long time, you can tell that the person walking up behind you is them based on the sound of their footsteps.

I think, if it was just a short conversation or something, I'd let it go. But he frakked her against a wall in the locker room place. x.x

It's not like he had zero reason to suspect Athena of ever being anyone but Athena. There's eights wandering around all over the place, and most of them have the same haircut and clothes.

But... whether or not the mix up is his fault, Athena could still get real ticked off. If it's a cylon thing, she likely can't imagine not being able to tell the difference.

On the other hand, Athena has bigger things to worry about than all of that, seeing as her holy-****ing-grail of a kid is in a box on a raptor god-knows-where in the universe...
WE ARE HARD LIGHT PRODUCTIONS. YOU WILL LOWER YOUR FIREWALLS AND SURRENDER YOUR KEYBOARDS. WE WILL ADD YOUR INTELLECTUAL AND VERNACULAR DISTINCTIVENESS TO OUR OWN. YOUR FORUMS WILL ADAPT TO SERVICE US. RESISTANCE IS FUTILE.

Offline IceFire

• GTVI Section 3
    • http://www.3dap.com/hlp/hosted/ce
Thing is that Athena was based directly on Sharon's memories. That may go deeper...they never really said.  But at some point the two were essentially the same person so ...its possible and maybe even likely that they would have reacted in an identical way.  Course then you can get into a potentially strange nature versus nurture debate about Cylons :)
- IceFire
BlackWater Ops, Cold Element
"Burn the land, boil the sea, you can't take the sky from me..."

Offline FraktuRe

• Not stupid enough
  • Cheesy oneliner, *****es!
    • Fraktured Reality
We all know that it won't be hera that's in that box on a raptor.

Obviously It'll be boxey. And he'll kick cavil in the ass!
Or something.
There’s nothing like the truth skewed into the mind of the insane.
- Fraktured Reality
The artist formerly known as Cl1nt.

Offline tikey

• Not Batman
We all know that it won't be hera that's in that box on a raptor.

Obviously It'll be boxey. And he'll kick cavil in the ass!

If that happens it will be the most awesome series finale ever.

Offline Mefustae

• Chevron locked...
I think, if it was just a short conversation or something, I'd let it go. But he frakked her against a wall in the locker room place. x.x
But that's exactly why he couldn't be blamed for not realizing it wasn't really Athena. When you're horny, you tend to gloss over the smaller details. Who here can honestly say that they'd be able to notice and analyze small behavioral discrepancies in their partner when he/she is getting their kit off in front of you!

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
  • i wonder when my postcount will exceed my iq
Not to mention she switched to a factory-fresh Number Eight body less than a year ago.

Drama wise, a great episode over all, but am I the only one who has noticed a huge, and I mean HUGE technical snafu that's pretty hard imagining being missed?

The one about how a tiny ship jumping within a capital ship's pod and/or close to the hull of a battlestar-sized ship could cause it immediately fatal damage?

Umm...  If that's true (and they wouldn't say it if it wasn't so, right guys?), then if I were the Cylons I'd build a half dozen Raider-sized (and brain-equipped) super duper oh-my-golly amazingly fast "missiles" equipped with jump drives, and send them toward any ship I pleased, and then have them jump wherever they want, like (why not?) only a meter to the left of where they're at because...  It'll cause the hull of the ship to crinkle up like a wad of aluminum foil.

Notice that no mention was made that this was due to Galactica's specific condition: it was stated as if it was a commonly known phenomenon.  Even Hot Dog in his Viper was crapping himself over the possibility of it, and I highly doubt that he has the inside scoop of just how precarious Galactica's condition is.  I'm confident that sensitive info like that would be kept under tight wraps so that the fleet won't panic.

So, I hope that the Diaspora team equips the Cylon side with a number of these jump-capable missiles.  I'll have the human fleet wiped out within 10 min. 

What say you all?
 :drevil:   

I'm confident that sensitive info like that would be kept under tight wraps so that the fleet won't panic.

I don't think thats true. People know about the cylon work crews, and also, they haven't made a jump in quite a while, either.

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
  • i wonder when my postcount will exceed my iq
Drama wise, a great episode over all, but am I the only one who has noticed a huge, and I mean HUGE technical snafu that's pretty hard imagining being missed?

The one about how a tiny ship jumping within a capital ship's pod and/or close to the hull of a battlestar-sized ship could cause it immediately fatal damage?

Umm...  If that's true (and they wouldn't say it if it wasn't so, right guys?), then if I were the Cylons I'd build a half dozen Raider-sized (and brain-equipped) super duper oh-my-golly amazingly fast "missiles" equipped with jump drives, and send them toward any ship I pleased, and then have them jump wherever they want, like (why not?) only a meter to the left of where they're at because...  It'll cause the hull of the ship to crinkle up like a wad of aluminum foil.

Notice that no mention was made that this was due to Galactica's specific condition: it was stated as if it was a commonly known phenomenon.  Even Hot Dog in his Viper was crapping himself over the possibility of it, and I highly doubt that he has the inside scoop of just how precarious Galactica's condition is.  I'm confident that sensitive info like that would be kept under tight wraps so that the fleet won't panic.

So, I hope that the Diaspora team equips the Cylon side with a number of these jump-capable missiles.  I'll have the human fleet wiped out within 10 min. 

What say you all?

It's pretty obviously because the ship's hull is already buckling -- which all the pilots, including Hotdog, were certainly briefed on.

Besides, we've seen a Raider make an attempt at a suicide run in Season 1. For all we know it was trying a similar trick.

Offline swashmebuckle

• Das Lied von der Turd
    • The Perfect Band
if I were the Cylons I'd build a half dozen Raider-sized (and brain-equipped) super duper oh-my-golly amazingly fast "missiles" equipped with jump drives, and send them toward any ship I pleased, and then have them jump wherever they want, like (why not?) only a meter to the left of where they're at because...  It'll cause the hull of the ship to crinkle up like a wad of aluminum foil.
Problem with that idea is that it's really hard for the Cylons to get close to a battlestar, and if you're gonna have amazingly fast missiles why not just arm them with nukes?  They're smaller (I would guess), have less moving parts, and probably do more damage than whatever this "spacial disturbance" phenomenon is per unit mass.  The real question is why don't they just jump nukes into each others' ships.  And I would guess that the answer to that is because it would suck.  People wanna see vipers and raiders dance.

Offline iamzack

The idea of jumping inside a ship to kill it is kinda obvious, isn't it? Even with resurrection, dying wasn't exactly fun for cylons, though...

I wonder how it would have looked if the Pegasus was jumped inside a basestar instead of just smashed into it.
WE ARE HARD LIGHT PRODUCTIONS. YOU WILL LOWER YOUR FIREWALLS AND SURRENDER YOUR KEYBOARDS. WE WILL ADD YOUR INTELLECTUAL AND VERNACULAR DISTINCTIVENESS TO OUR OWN. YOUR FORUMS WILL ADAPT TO SERVICE US. RESISTANCE IS FUTILE.

Offline TESLA

• 1.21 gigawatts!

What say you all?

What got me wondering was when they evacated the Peggy and jumped away straight out of hanger, how come we didnt see any damge happen on the ship or any of the raptors behind them blow up?  :drevil:
In order to find his equal, an Irishman is forced
to talk to God.

There are three types of people in this world: those who make things happen, those who watch things happen and those who wonder what happened.

Offline The E

• He's Ebeneezer Goode
  • Nothing personal, just tech support.
    • Steam
    • Twitter
What got me wondering was when they evacated the Peggy and jumped away straight out of hanger, how come we didnt see any damge happen on the ship or any of the raptors behind them blow up?  :drevil:

Because the writers didn't think of that before? There was that cylon strike force in "Flight of the Phoenix, the Raptor Force in "Lay down your Burdens I", and they didn't seem to be bothered by close proximity. ISTR Peggys Raptors veering away from the Hull as they were making their jumps, so maybe the "danger zone" is actually fairly small. When Boomer jumped away, she was really close to Galactica, maybe that's a factor...
If I'm just aching this can't go on
I came from chasing dreams to feel alone
There must be changes, miss to feel strong
I really need lifе to touch me
--Evergrey, Where August Mourns

Offline Rainman

Jesus, what about Helo and Athena? What the hell is going to happen to them? Athena watching Helo get it on with Boomer, the loss of their daughter, that moment when Athena staggered into the pilots briefing room. That was dark. Seriously goddamn dark.

I don't think she blames Helo for getting on with boomer. He couldn't know that, obviously. Still, with Hera gone again...

He should be able to tell the difference, even if they are identical. Chief could tell that Boomer wasn't just another 8.

Yea but he's a Cylon

So?

It's like identical twins. A glance or a picture might not do it, but a few seconds conversation followed by sex should have clued him in that this isn't the woman he's been with for years...

Yeah, it's just a physically perfect copy with completely identical memories up to a few years prior.

I just quoted this to see how small these fonts can go.  But anyways apart from that fact that Kamikaze attacks with nuke-armed raiders would simply ruin the show, Now Cavil knows where Galactica is and can attack full force while she can't jump and is under repairs. And about the hangar jumps, I they were considerably farther away from where Boomers raptor was from the hull. They got their distance from the landing pod and jumped. If they didn't know about the damage why didn't they just jump from inside the ship without being exposed at all? Boomer just barely escaped throuph a closing bay door and jumped right next to galactica.
« Last Edit: March 04, 2009, 10:49:07 pm by Rainman »

Offline Locutus of Borg

• Who counted those posts?????????????
It's a TV show, take it for what it is.
:)
We are the Borg
We will add your biological and technological distinctiveness to our own

Resistance is FUTILE

Offline Mefustae

• Chevron locked...
And about the hangar jumps, I they were considerably farther away from where Boomers raptor was from the hull. They got their distance from the landing pod and jumped. If they didn't know about the damage why didn't they just jump from inside the ship without being exposed at all? Boomer just barely escaped throuph a closing bay door and jumped right next to galactica.
That's actually a very good question.

Personally, I think Boomer knew that jumping inside the hanger bay would gut the ship. She could have done this, but she didn't. That suggests that, while she's gone over to Cavil's faction, she may still feel something of her old life. Galactica is still, in part, her home. More importantly, she still loves Tyrol. Despite what she did to him, how she used him, she still loves him. In fact, i'm willing to bet that if Tyrol had gone with her, she would've found it a lot easier to justify jumping away while still in the hanger (not that Tyrol would let her).

Offline Snagger

Maybe they did damage the Pegasus, jumping that close, but since they had evacuated the ship after locking it on a collision course with a basestar, consigniing the ship to scrap, they would not have been very concerned, would they?

Offline TESLA

• 1.21 gigawatts!

Maybe they did damage the Pegasus, jumping that close, but since they had evacuated the ship after locking it on a collision course with a basestar, consigniing the ship to scrap, they would not have been very concerned, would they?

Well i know that!! Just didnt see any special effects of the hull ripped apart by all the jumps  :D
Frak it anyway, all good.
In order to find his equal, an Irishman is forced
to talk to God.

There are three types of people in this world: those who make things happen, those who watch things happen and those who wonder what happened.