Author Topic: Infinity: Quest for Earth  (Read 2341 times)

Offline azile0

• Resident Trekkie
Infinity: Quest for Earth
Looks like an awesome game. A MMOG that is based in space, and apparently, is like an upgraded Freelancer. You can land and interact with planets (mine, trade, etc) and then zip back up to space.

The game is all randomly generated, so some systems will never be explored by players.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Infinity_the_quest_for_earth
www.infinity-universe.com/Infinity
You get one chocolate chip.

. <--- There it is.

Self-proclaimed master of the Keypad.

Offline Ashrak

• Not Banned
    • Imagination Designs
Re: Infinity: Quest for Earth
ooh theyv updated the website :)
I hate My signature!

Offline Mefustae

• Chevron locked...
Yeah, been a while since I checked the status of Infinity. Damn, I think I was the first one to post about it on here way back when.

Offline Rodo

• Custom tittle
  • stargazer
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
it's not being updated that much, I guess most of the action happens in the forums.
el hombre vicio...

I dont think thats true, I just think that IA doesnt have that much time or desire to post his progress unless its something big.  On the other hand, I try to ignore the project as much as possible so Ill be surprised when something happens :)

Offline Nuke

• Ka-Boom!
  • Mutants Worship Me
Looks like an awesome game. A MMOG that is based in space, and apparently, is like an upgraded frontier: elite 2. You can land and interact with planets (mine, trade, etc) and then zip back up to space.

The game is all randomly generated, so some systems will never be explored by players.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Infinity_the_quest_for_earth
www.infinity-universe.com/Infinity

fixed
I can no longer sit back and allow communist infiltration, communist indoctrination, communist subversion, and the international communist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious bodily fluids.

Nuke's Scripting SVN

Offline redsniper

• Aim for the Top!
The game is all randomly generated
No it isn't.
"Think about nice things not unhappy things.
The future makes happy, if you make it yourself.
No war; think about happy things."   -WouterSmitssm

Hard Light Productions:
"...this conversation is pointlessly confrontational."

Offline Dark RevenantX

• anonymity —> animosity
The vast majority of systems and planets apparently are.  I don't care how compressed it is - 200 billion planets is going to take up several hundred terabytes of info at the least.  Procedural generation (with the same seed for every player to keep continuity) is the only way.

Offline Davros

how many planets did elite have ?

Offline Ransom

• M. Night Russel
  • It will not wait.
    • Rate of Injury
The vast majority of systems and planets apparently are.  I don't care how compressed it is - 200 billion planets is going to take up several hundred terabytes of info at the least.  Procedural generation (with the same seed for every player to keep continuity) is the only way.
Fairly sure that's what redsniper was referring to. Procedural isn't the same as random.

Offline Ghostavo

• Let it be glue!
    • Twitter
how many planets did elite have ?

Elite had 8 galaxies, each with 256 planets. However the 8 galaxies limit was artificial, because the developers thought that more than 8 galaxies was ridiculous (it could be increased to 256) and the 256 limit on planets was due to the capabilities of 8 bit computers at that time (an 8 bit word max being 2^8=256).

So it could easily have 65536 planets. Occupying very little space might I add.
« Last Edit: March 09, 2009, 10:08:41 am by Ghostavo »
"Closing the Box" - a campaign in the making :nervous:

Shrike is a dirty dirty admin, he's the destroyer of souls... oh god, let it be glue...

Offline redsniper

• Aim for the Top!
Fairly sure that's what redsniper was referring to. Procedural isn't the same as random.
Yeah. If it were randomly generated, everyone would be playing in a different galaxy.
"Think about nice things not unhappy things.
The future makes happy, if you make it yourself.
No war; think about happy things."   -WouterSmitssm

Hard Light Productions:
"...this conversation is pointlessly confrontational."

Offline blackhole

• Still not over the rainbow
  • Destiny can suck it
    • Black Sphere Studios
The beauty of procedural generation is that you can build up solar systems on-the-fly, so all you have to save are the changes made to that solar system, which can be massively reduced via clever algorithms (which I'm sure infinityadmin is full of). The only thing that takes space are the (in infinity's case) 6 base planet textures, the asteroid textures, the ship models, the base buildings for the cities (Which are also procedurally generated), the space stations, among a few other things. Nebulae and a large amount of background prettiness is all procedurally generated. Spore has nothing on this game.

EDIT: not counting music, sound effects, GUI images, and the like.

Offline Nuke

• Ka-Boom!
  • Mutants Worship Me
it really doesnt take much data to define an orbit. given a list of orbital parameters its possible to calculate the position of a planet or other drifting object as a function of time. were talking a handful of variables. probibly only a few bytes long per object. orbiter defines an orbit with 18 floats, thats it. thats only 2 floats more than a transform matrix. youd probibly also need axis normals for sun planets and moons, (anything that can have stuff orbiting it). with that data and game time you can compute position, orientation, velocity vector, ect.

some stuff id do at random, like asteroids. if a player enters a region with asteroids his comp generates some procedural data and sends it to the server. if anyone else enters the same area they are sent the same data from the server, and their computer generates the scene in the exact same way.
« Last Edit: March 09, 2009, 07:04:18 pm by Nuke »
I can no longer sit back and allow communist infiltration, communist indoctrination, communist subversion, and the international communist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious bodily fluids.

Nuke's Scripting SVN

Offline NGTM-1R

• I reject your reality and substitute my own
  • Syndral Active. 0410.

You could more or less say the same thing about EVE without needing random generation, until someone came along with a Cheetah and the goal to visit every system.
"Load sabot. Target Zaku, direct front!"

A Feddie Story

Offline Bobboau

• Just a MODern kinda guy
    Just MODerately cool
    And MODest too
200 billion systems means it can not be done.

I had forgotten about this game, I was working on a freighter for at one point
http://www.infinity-universe.com/Infinity/index.php?option=com_smf&Itemid=75&topic=903.0
got to the point where I would start textureing and got distracted and then forgot about it.
« Last Edit: March 10, 2009, 06:23:01 am by Bobboau »
Bobboau, bringing you products that work... in theory
learn to use PCS
creator of the ProXimus Procedural Texture and Effect Generator
My latest build of PCS2, get it while it's hot!
PCS 2.0.3

DEUTERONOMY 22:11
Thou shalt not wear a garment of diverse sorts, [as] of woollen and linen together