Author Topic: Multi-Monitor output and Freespace????  (Read 4749 times)

Offline kalron

Multi-Monitor output and Freespace????
New to the forum, not sure where to post this question. 

Long time fan of the game, and love the FS2open project.  I was wondering if it is possible to output the multi-HAT views (Up, Left and Right only) in Freespace to Multiple Monitors.  There is a project I have in mind that would make use of this to create a more realistic experience. 

Any feedback would be happily welcome  :D

Offline Scotty

• 1.21 gigawatts!
  • Guns, guns, guns.
Re: Multi-Monitor output and Freespace????
I don't know how you'd go about doing that, but it would be flippin' awesome.   :yes:

Offline karajorma

• King Louie - Jungle VIP
  • Administrator
    • Karajorma's Freespace FAQ
Basically this tends to go in the "If you're a coder we'd love to see you add this but we're too busy" pile.

The SCP has a very small number of coders and it's quite rare for us all to be active at any one time. That means that although something like this would be hugely cool no one has the time to spend ages working on it for a fairly small niche of the actual game players. So until we manage to find a coder who really wants to do it, it's unlikely.
Karajorma's Freespace FAQ. It's almost like asking me yourself.

[ Diaspora ] - [ Seeds Of Rebellion ] - [ Mind Games ]

softh is a software multimonitor that can help in many games, but it s not only working with direct x, but the developer is still working on a open gl version, maybe there won t be need to code something in fs2.
$Formula: ( every-time
   ( has-time-elapsed "0" )
   ( Do-Nothing
   )
   ( send-message
      "#Dalek"
      "High"
      "Pro-crasti-nate"
   )
   )
)
+Name: Procratination
+Repeat Count: 99999999999
+Interval: 1

Offline kalron

Basically this tends to go in the "If you're a coder we'd love to see you add this but we're too busy" pile.

The SCP has a very small number of coders and it's quite rare for us all to be active at any one time. That means that although something like this would be hugely cool no one has the time to spend ages working on it for a fairly small niche of the actual game players. So until we manage to find a coder who really wants to do it, it's unlikely.

Thanks for the info...I actually have a coder lined up to assist me, I wanted to get an opinion from users that have a background in the game code to advice me if it is possible or not.  I didn't want move forward if it wasn't possible in the first place,  so I didn't waist the coders time. 

So, by your account do you feel it is possible, or am I wasting my time?

Offline kalron

softh is a software multimonitor that can help in many games, but it s not only working with direct x, but the developer is still working on a open gl version, maybe there won t be need to code something in fs2.

This looks promising!!!  Do you know if softh is open source?  This could be an alternative if coding multi-monitors into FS2open isn't possible.

Thanks again everyone!

i don't think so, but i think the guy won't disagree to have help on the open gl version on softh.

You should contact him here :
http://www.kegetys.net/forum/index.php?board=1.0

He made working il2 in open gl with 3 screen some time ago but we have no news yet.

anyway here is the specific opengl topic http://www.kegetys.net/forum/index.php?topic=4.0
$Formula: ( every-time
   ( has-time-elapsed "0" )
   ( Do-Nothing
   )
   ( send-message
      "#Dalek"
      "High"
      "Pro-crasti-nate"
   )
   )
)
+Name: Procratination
+Repeat Count: 99999999999
+Interval: 1

Offline Blue Lion

• Star Shatterer
Wouldn't you basically be doing this just for you (and other people with multiple monitors)?

It would still look frikkin sweet

Offline karajorma

• King Louie - Jungle VIP
  • Administrator
    • Karajorma's Freespace FAQ

Thanks for the info...I actually have a coder lined up to assist me, I wanted to get an opinion from users that have a background in the game code to advice me if it is possible or not.  I didn't want move forward if it wasn't possible in the first place,  so I didn't waist the coders time. 

So, by your account do you feel it is possible, or am I wasting my time?

I'm not a graphics coder so it's way out of my area of expertise. But I've not heard anyone say that it can't be done, simply that no one had the time. If you know a coder who wants to take a look at it, then it's certainly worth trying.
Karajorma's Freespace FAQ. It's almost like asking me yourself.

[ Diaspora ] - [ Seeds Of Rebellion ] - [ Mind Games ]

Offline Galemp

• Actual father of Samus
  • Ask me about GORT!
    • Steam
    • User page on the FreeSpace Wiki
Count me among those who would like to see this implemented (not that it matters.)
"Anyone can do any amount of work, provided it isn't the work he's supposed to be doing at that moment." -- Robert Benchley

Members I've personally met: RedStreblo, Goober5000, Sandwich, Splinter, Su-tehp, Hippo, CP5670, Terran Emperor, Karajorma, Dekker, McCall, Admiral Wolf, mxlm, RedSniper, Stealth, Black Wolf...