Author Topic: Modification Descriptions Policy...?  (Read 3170 times)

Offline Mobius

• Back where he started
  • Porto l'azzurro Dolce Stil Novo nella fantascienza
    • The Lightblue Ribbon | Cultural Project
Modification Descriptions Policy...?
No offense to those contributors, the community appreciates their work, but I have been reading weird decriptions for a while.

I usually check the differences between the old and the new page only to find out what those strange descriptions mean. Descriptions are important and should, just as the same suggests, describe the changes in a comprehensive way. I don't see the point in stuff like this:

"Sssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss..."

"-.-"

"NO, YOU FABRICS!"

"Yeah..."

"Just a few more then I'm done."

"Last one. Srsly this time."

"Absolutely, the last one. No joke."

";)"

(the 4 descriptions posted above are in chronological order :lol:)

"FACEPALM!"

At this point I suggest to set up a policy since descriptions have their importance and someone's underestimating it.
The Lightblue Ribbon

Inferno: Nostos - Alliance
Series Resurrecta: {{FS Wiki Portal}} -  Gehenna's Gate - The Spirit of Ptah - Serendipity (WIP) - <REDACTED> (WIP)
FreeSpace Campaign Restoration Project
A tribute to FreeSpace in my book: Riflessioni dall'Infinito
My interviews: [ 1 ] - [ 2 ] - [ 3 ]

Offline Blue Lion

• Star Shatterer
Re: Modification Descriptions Policy...?
Yea I noticed the same thing too.

Offline TopAce

• Stalwart contributor
  • FREDder, FSWiki editor, and tester
Since there are only a few edits per a typical day, I don't see why checking the individual pages' history is not enough.
My community contributions - Get my campaigns from here.

I already announced my retirement twice, yet here I am. If I bring up that topic again, don't believe a word.

Offline Snail

• SC 5
I usually say "The following edits are doing XYZ," then do all the random stuff.

Offline Androgeos Exeunt

• Captain Oblivious
  • Prevents attraction.
    • Wordpress.com Blog
Since Mobius brought this up, I shall claim responsibility for the edit summaries I made, which he has quoted.

"Sssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss..."

Because there was one "s" too many.

"NO, YOU FABRICS!"

Excuse me? THE FreeSpace 2? There is no "the" in "FreeSpace 2".

"FACEPALM!"

You cannot beam canons or use beam canons because canons are not cannons. Canons are facts. Cannons are guns. Beam cannons are used in almost every FS2 mission, so such an error should not have existed in the first place.

At this point I suggest to set up a policy since descriptions have their importance and someone's underestimating it.

Garbage will be dealt with as garbage. I absolutely cannot be bothered to treat garbage as something else, like a soft toy, or a child, because the latter two need conditioning, and garbage needs to be trashed. These edit summaries are meant in jest and should not be taken seriously. If you want to impose a policy on coherent edit summaries, feel free to pass it, but do not expect me to ever make any funny comment on the FreeSpace Wiki, because I will be a Grammar Nazi and point out any error I find in the most boring fashion possible.
« Last Edit: April 13, 2009, 03:08:06 am by Androgeos Exeunt »
My blog

Quote: Tuesday, 3 October 2023 0133 UTC +8, #general
MP-Ryan
Oh you still believe in fairy tales like Santa, the Easter Bunny, and free market competition principles?

Offline Blue Lion

• Star Shatterer
I think you're just helping out.

If you want to impose a policy on coherent edit summaries, feel free to pass it, but do not expect me to ever make any funny comment on the FreeSpace Wiki, because I will be a Grammar Nazi and point out any error I find in the most boring fashion possible.

Because encyclopedias are designed to be rife with comedy and have only loose adherence to grammar?

Offline Androgeos Exeunt

• Captain Oblivious
  • Prevents attraction.
    • Wordpress.com Blog
The problem with English is that it gets bland after a while, as does everything else, such as editing a wiki. I personally feel that adding the not-so-serious edit summary once in a while helps loads, which is why I do it.
My blog

MP-Ryan
Oh you still believe in fairy tales like Santa, the Easter Bunny, and free market competition principles?

Offline Mobius

• Back where he started
  • Porto l'azzurro Dolce Stil Novo nella fantascienza
    • The Lightblue Ribbon | Cultural Project
Sorry, but you're completely misunderstanding the purpose of this thread as well as the purpose of my posts/suggestions.

I don't criticize the quality of your edits, I criticize your edits' descriptions. When dealing with misspellings, contributors like TopAce(and me) use:

"<wrong spelling" ---> "<correct spelling>"

Like in:

"Freespace" ---> "FreeSpace"

"taskforce" ---> "task force"

"they're" ---> "their" (or the opposite, when needed)

...and so on.

That's it, and there's no need to write stuff like "Sssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss...", "FACEPALM!" and "NO, YOU FABRICS!". That's insane and seems quite pointless, if you ask me.
The Lightblue Ribbon

Inferno: Nostos - Alliance
Series Resurrecta: {{FS Wiki Portal}} -  Gehenna's Gate - The Spirit of Ptah - Serendipity (WIP) - <REDACTED> (WIP)
FreeSpace Campaign Restoration Project
A tribute to FreeSpace in my book: Riflessioni dall'Infinito
My interviews: [ 1 ] - [ 2 ] - [ 3 ]

Offline Snail

• SC 5
I kind of agree with Mobius.

But then again I'd be condemning myself, so I claim innocence of retrospective crimes.

Offline Androgeos Exeunt

• Captain Oblivious
  • Prevents attraction.
    • Wordpress.com Blog
Well, if you want proper edit summaries, I'm fine with that, but pushing a policy forward is a bit extreme. Maybe a guideline is sufficient enough.
« Last Edit: April 13, 2009, 02:51:54 am by Androgeos Exeunt »
My blog

MP-Ryan