Author Topic: Possible Campaign Layout(with picture!)  (Read 11728 times)

Re: Possible Campaign Layout(with picture!)
mkay the player character, in attempt to impress his rich liberal girlfriend whom he is infatuated with joins the Rebel Alliance.  His aptitude for piloting and leadership soon lands him a relatively important position in the local Rebel Cell's hierarchy.  Eventually he comes to understand his girlfriend is a whinny hippie flake, after which he realizes the entire operation's aims at equality and spreading the wealth are not going to be advantageous to his standard of living.  Armed with the clarity that the Empire's suppression of xenos and tight control of civil liberties actually benefit him the player begins colluding with local Imperial forces to bring down the rebel cell and defect to the Empire.  After successfully brining down the local Rebel Cell in a savage and bloody act of betrayal the player receives a commission in the Imperial Navy.  Again proving his worth as a pilot the player catches the eye of Imperial Intelligence who then use him as a successful deep cover agent infiltrating criminal syndicates, traitorous elements of the fleet and the Rebel Alliance.  After many years as an extremely successful counter insurgent the player retires and lives off his ridiculously large pension in his villa on some nice beach planet in the Imperial Remnant.
:yes2:
:yes2:++

I want to play this...

...so badly.
hell.yes :yes: :yes: :yes:
Add an affair or two, and i'm happy.
why only 2?

i was talking in hundreds. And I want those in cutscenes, not just dialogue
Sig nuked! New one coming soon!

Offline chief1983

• Still lacks a custom title
  • ⬇️⬆️⬅️⬅️🅰➡️⬇️
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
    • Fate of the Galaxy
Ok really that stops.  Getting a bit off topic methinks.
Fate of the Galaxy - Now Hiring!  Apply within | Diaspora | SCP Home | Collada Importer for PCS2
Karajorma's 'How to report bugs' | Mantis
#freespace | #scp-swc | #diaspora | #SCP | #hard-light on EsperNet

"You may not sell or otherwise commercially exploit the source or things you created based on the source." -- Excerpt from FSO license, for reference

Nuclear1:  Jesus Christ zack you're a little too hamyurger for HLP right now...
iamzack:  i dont have hamynerge i just want ptatoc hips D:
redsniper:  Platonic hips?!
iamzack:  lays

Ok.

And really, it doesn't matter if you have everything on one pilot file or not. It's not like the achievements actually mean anything. I could fred a mission right now that would promote me to admiral just by warping out.

Offline Vrets

Just to throw something out there you could have the player character start as an Imperial Pilot.  Naive and full of patriotic piss and vinegar.  He goes through the Imp Academy, gets tasked with hunting pirates/terrorists,  customs etc.  The type of missions where the Empire is maintaining law in order in the galaxy.  Eventually he gets disenfranchised with the Empire, possible a mix of some morally questionable missions and his homeworld getting brought to heel.  At some point he defects to the Rebellion and starts that campaign.

Which is the story for about half the star wars stuff out there.  :doubt:

mkay the player character, in attempt to impress his rich liberal girlfriend whom he is infatuated with joins the Rebel Alliance.  His aptitude for piloting and leadership soon lands him a relatively important position in the local Rebel Cell's hierarchy.  Eventually he comes to understand his girlfriend is a whinny hippie flake, after which he realizes the entire operation's aims at equality and spreading the wealth are not going to be advantageous to his standard of living.  Armed with the clarity that the Empire's suppression of xenos and tight control of civil liberties actually benefit him the player begins colluding with local Imperial forces to bring down the rebel cell and defect to the Empire.  After successfully brining down the local Rebel Cell in a savage and bloody act of betrayal the player receives a commission in the Imperial Navy.  Again proving his worth as a pilot the player catches the eye of Imperial Intelligence who then use him as a successful deep cover agent infiltrating criminal syndicates, traitorous elements of the fleet and the Rebel Alliance.  After many years as an extremely successful counter insurgent the player retires and lives off his ridiculously large pension in his villa on some nice beach planet in the Imperial Remnant.

Success! :yes:

Offline Mobius

• Back where he started
  • Porto l'azzurro Dolce Stil Novo nella fantascienza
    • The Lightblue Ribbon | Cultural Project
What about considering Diaspora as a good example? What about multiple releases?

Each release VP would have all the new textures, missions and models to the play the new campaigns. The "Assault on Naboo" expansion might have at least two campaigns (Drone/Naboo point of view) plus the new stuff needed to play those campaigns. :)

I was wondering if we could actually have the player play two characters, an imperial, and a rebel, through the game. This way the player gets to play the good parts of both sides, in the same timeline. I do worry it might get confusing for the player to play a rebel campaign, then an imperial one.

Sorry, man. Freespace doesn't like it if you use one pilot record for everything. You get the weirdest problems.

Any specifics on what's wrong with that?

Also, and more importantly, does this campaign menu seem like a good idea worth looking into? Or something useless that wouldn't add anything to the game?

It doesn't work well with changing campaigns, you tend to lose your progress I think.  Same with changing mods, since for one, that usually involves changing campaigns.  So I tend to create a new pilot per mod.  If there were a lot of campaigns I might even do it by that.

I might have misunderstood rsaxvc, but I think he was refering to a "super partes" player. In other words, we may have something like this:

Mission 1: As Rebel pilot - Protect a convoy
Mission 2: As Imperial pilot (clone?) - Destroy the convoy
Mission 3: As Rebel pilot - Strike an Imperial warship
Mission 4: As Imperial pilot (drone?) - Protect the escape pods of the destroyed warship

...and so on. This kind of campaign development has good and bad characteristics, but it's up to the FotG team to decide. :)
The Lightblue Ribbon

Inferno: Nostos - Alliance
Series Resurrecta: {{FS Wiki Portal}} -  Gehenna's Gate - The Spirit of Ptah - Serendipity (WIP) - <REDACTED> (WIP)
FreeSpace Campaign Restoration Project
A tribute to FreeSpace in my book: Riflessioni dall'Infinito
My interviews: [ 1 ] - [ 2 ] - [ 3 ]

Offline brandx0

• The Angriest Angel.
    • Fate of the Galaxy: The Star Wars Conversion for Freespace
The "Assault on Naboo expansion"?

I don't remember saying we were gonna even come close to touching that particular battle
Former Senior Modeler, Texturer and Content Moderator (retired), Fate of the Galaxy
"I love your wrong proportions--too long, no, wait, too short
I love you with a highly symbolic torpedo up the exhaust port"
-swashmebuckle's ode to the transport

I don't remember saying we were gonna even come close to touching that particular battle

You stole my idea!

Though that one guy making a Naboo Fighter probably lead to an understandable misunderstanding.

Offline Mobius

• Back where he started

That was an example...also, I thought you will add some ships from the EU sooner or later?

Invasion of Naboo

Rsaxvc didn't exclude it...it may be a good campaign afterall. :)
The Lightblue Ribbon

Series Resurrecta: {{FS Wiki Portal}} -  Gehenna's Gate - The Spirit of Ptah - Serendipity (WIP) - <REDACTED> (WIP)

Offline brandx0

• The Angriest Angel.
It was one battle...
Former Senior Modeler, Texturer and Content Moderator (retired), Fate of the Galaxy

Offline starlord

Ha, that galaxy map: That's quite funny: :lol:

So close, and yet so far to the renegade legion universe... ;)

Offline Mobius

• Back where he started
It was one battle...

I remember some games about the EU showing good surface battles during the Invasion of Naboo. You may consider adding them if surfaces and gravity will be fully implemented. :)
The Lightblue Ribbon

Offline Snail

• SC 5
I'd sooner add the Hoth crawler battle than Naboo...

Offline Mobius

• Back where he started
You need to have working ground war machines for that...
The Lightblue Ribbon

Offline brandx0

• The Angriest Angel.
And we'd need that for your idea of the ground battles of Naboo as well.  If we can get a reasonable ground simulation, then I'm pretty sure we'd do Hoth rather than make some stuff up about Naboo.

Offline Mobius

• Back where he started
Sorry, I did not mean ground battles as the one seen in The Phantom Menace - I meant battles involving space craft taking place near the surface of a planet or satellite. Speaking of the Invasion of Naboo, it should be doable - the drones had space-to-surface troop transports and such.

I think there could be enough stuff for a minicampaign.
The Lightblue Ribbon

Offline rsaxvc

• rsaxvc
Hokay, so here's the driving idea behind the campaign map:

Follow the cannon StarWars timeline, later we can go back and do the prequel, later we can release an expansion.
Make the player play both sides of the story, but how do we pick? We make them play the winning side of each campaign.
How is the plot flow managed? In the StarWars universe, there's a lot of events that happen around the same time, but all happen before something else.

For example:
Campaign A unlocks: B,C,D
B+C unlock E
D + E unlock F

I'll draw out an example chart, but basically, the Empire and Rebellion have a lot more going on than is in the movies. Even 'TIE Fighter' went and helped quell a civil war. We can structure the campaigns like this so that the player has a lot of choice in how they play through, except that they'll always end up with the same ending/Blowing up DS2. (Or we can continue on)

Offline Rhymes

• Galactic Mediator
  • Fatum Iustum Stultorum
rsaxvc, remember this.

canon vs. cannon

canon: accepted by developers or creators as a legitimate plot or plot element

cannon: what the smiley-face on the right is holding. -------> :beamz:

Important: the next one who uses cannon instead of canon will suffer the following fate: :beamz:
If you don't have Knossos, you need it.

“There was a button," Holden said. "I pushed it."
"Jesus Christ. That really is how you go through life, isn't it?”

Offline rsaxvc

• rsaxvc
:(

Offline chief1983

• Still lacks a custom title
  • ⬇️⬆️⬅️⬅️🅰➡️⬇️
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
    • Fate of the Galaxy
Did someone mention a cannon?

Also RWP, your sig is missing 'boom'.
Fate of the Galaxy - Now Hiring!  Apply within | Diaspora | SCP Home | Collada Importer for PCS2
Karajorma's 'How to report bugs' | Mantis
#freespace | #scp-swc | #diaspora | #SCP | #hard-light on EsperNet

"You may not sell or otherwise commercially exploit the source or things you created based on the source." -- Excerpt from FSO license, for reference

Nuclear1:  Jesus Christ zack you're a little too hamyurger for HLP right now...
iamzack:  i dont have hamynerge i just want ptatoc hips D:
redsniper:  Platonic hips?!
iamzack:  lays

Offline Rhymes

• Galactic Mediator
  • Fatum Iustum Stultorum
Changed my sig.  Happy, chief?  BTW, by 'cannon' I mean someone misspelling 'canon'.
« Last Edit: April 10, 2009, 04:14:01 pm by Rhymes_With_PSYCHO »
If you don't have Knossos, you need it.

“There was a button," Holden said. "I pushed it."
"Jesus Christ. That really is how you go through life, isn't it?”