Author Topic: Hierarchy tuts/examples  (Read 1368 times)

Offline Black Wolf

• Twisted Infinities
  • Hey! You! Get off-a my cloud!
    • Visit the TI homepage!
Hierarchy tuts/examples
Does anyone have any links (or willing to post/make any examples) of how to set up hierarchies in trueview? I've seen it done plenty of times, but i can never hold it in my brain, since I don't do it often enough. Specific problems would be things like whether all the individual bits still need local lights, where exactly debris and lods sit in the hierarchy relative to detail0, the names things need to use, where destroyed turrets sit etc. etc. I know all of this information used to exist, there are lots of links and stuff on Kara's site, but all the useful ones seem to have disappeared. The wiki is also woefully underdetailed in this sort of nuts and bolts stuff as far as I an tell

A commented screen capture of a comprehensive, working hierarchy would probably be all that's needed, so if someone has a ship ready to convert, and they're feeling generous...?
TWISTED INFINITIES · SECTORGAME· FRONTLINES
Rarely Updated P3D.
Burn the heretic who killed F2S! Burn him, burn him!!- GalEmp

Re: Hierarchy tuts/examples
For the PCS2 DAE importer it's like this (order doesn't matter, only naming and hierarchy).
I never use lights or empties, though, I set everything up in PCS2 itself.
The Blender to POF guide is pretty good on this; if you're using DAE to convert, that guide is all you should need.

- detail0
--turret##
---turret##-arm
--turret##-destroyed
--detail0-trans (nameplates, cockpit glass, transparent stuff)
--<more subobjects, detail boxes, etc)
-detail#
-debris##
-shield

Offline Vasudan Admiral

• Twisted Infinities
The blender to POF guide is pretty useless for any and all truespace conversions.
Have a look at this:

And this:

Which will hopefully clarify the setup better. :)
Get the 2014 Media VPs and report any bugs you find in them to the FSU Mantis so that we may squish them. || Blender to POF model conversion guide
Twisted Infinities

Offline Black Wolf

• Twisted Infinities
  • Hey! You! Get off-a my cloud!
    • Visit the TI homepage!
Ah! That explains why my geometry was all in a line of nested subobjects, I had lights everywhere. :D
TWISTED INFINITIES · SECTORGAME· FRONTLINES
Rarely Updated P3D.
Burn the heretic who killed F2S! Burn him, burn him!!- GalEmp

Offline Wanderer

• Wiki Warrior
  • Mostly harmless
Can either of you write something about this to wiki? It might people later on. (As well as uploading the pics to wiki...)
Do not meddle in the affairs of coders for they are soggy and hard to light