Author Topic: I miss Basic  (Read 11511 times)

Offline chief1983

• Still lacks a custom title
  • ⬇️⬆️⬅️⬅️🅰➡️⬇️
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
    • Fate of the Galaxy
Lol, see what I mean?  If you've never had to write highly portable, but relatively low-level code, you've probably never had to worry about it.  But it's good to know these things.  Mostly because every compiler ever available, was built with a previous compiler, sometimes written in lower level code, all the way back to the first ones written in straight machine code.  (Don't look that up on ED btw).
Fate of the Galaxy - Now Hiring!  Apply within | Diaspora | SCP Home | Collada Importer for PCS2
Karajorma's 'How to report bugs' | Mantis
#freespace | #scp-swc | #diaspora | #SCP | #hard-light on EsperNet

"You may not sell or otherwise commercially exploit the source or things you created based on the source." -- Excerpt from FSO license, for reference

Nuclear1:  Jesus Christ zack you're a little too hamyurger for HLP right now...
iamzack:  i dont have hamynerge i just want ptatoc hips D:
redsniper:  Platonic hips?!
iamzack:  lays

Offline Polpolion

• The sizzle, it thinks!
    • Minecraft
But Dijkstra made his comment back in 1975, when BASIC was being used as a teaching tool, and still relied on abominations like GOTO as a control structure.

Disclaimer: I have never, ever done anything with BASIC, in any form whatsoever.

I don't get it. How does having used GOTO in graphing calculator basic make you a terrible programmer? I don't think I've ever used GOTO when I'm doing real programming. Not even in True BASIC.

Oh jesus, I just read up on big-endian and little endian. All I can say is THANK GOD FOR COMMON ARCHITECTURES. Also, I never want to write a networking engine. Ever.

offtopic, but:
Have you ever tried different assemblers?

I forget which syntax is which, but in two different assemblers MOV D1, D0 can have totally different meanings  (e.g. D1->D0 or D0->D1)  :nod:
STRONGTEA. Why can't the x86 be sane?

Offline cloneof

I actually enjoyed playing with Cool Basic...

It's cool...

Offline Flipside

• əp!sd!l£
Oh jesus, I just read up on big-endian and little endian. All I can say is THANK GOD FOR COMMON ARCHITECTURES. Also, I never want to write a networking engine. Ever.

offtopic, but:

I forget which syntax is which, but in two different assemblers MOV D1, D0 can have totally different meanings  (e.g. D1->D0 or D0->D1)  :nod:

In 6502 not only was the format little-endian, but you could only use indexed referencing, so if you wanted to jump to an address, you had to write it down (backwards) in memory and then order the code to jump to the address referenced to by the address you had just updated :)

offtopic, but:

In 6502 not only was the format little-endian, but you could only use indexed referencing, so if you wanted to jump to an address, you had to write it down (backwards) in memory and then order the code to jump to the address referenced to by the address you had just updated :)

Back in my day, we used to have to get up before we'd gone to bed and write windows applications in x86 assembler
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xe1a1wHxTyo
STRONGTEA. Why can't the x86 be sane?

Offline Flipside

• əp!sd!l£
Aye, 26 hours a day down t'pit, 'were grim up North ;)