Author Topic: BSG, meet reality  (Read 4725 times)

Offline Flipside

• əp!sd!l£
I wouldn't trust something like that until they've got a bit more of Quantum Computing under their belt and are running 100% secure optical networks.

Offline Kosh

• A year behind what's funny
Didn't the F22 have a wi-fi accesspoint built into it? (or so says wikipedia anyway)
"The reason for this is that the original Fortran got so convoluted and extensive (10's of millions of lines of code) that no-one can actually figure out how it works, there's a massive project going on to decode the original Fortran and write a more modern system, but until then, the UK communication network is actually relying heavily on 35 year old Fortran that nobody understands." - Flipside

Brain I/O error
Replace and press any key

Offline Liberator

• Poe's Law In Action
So why didn't they build a physically separate network for the passengers using a separate transceiver?

If there's no physical connection and no wifi connection, how exactly would you hack the flight controls?
So as through a glass, and darkly
The age long strife I see
Where I fought in many guises,
Many names, but always me.

There are only 10 types of people in the world , those that understand binary and those that don't.

Offline Dilmah G

• Failed juggling
  • Do try it.
Didn't the F22 have a wi-fi accesspoint built into it? (or so says wikipedia anyway)

Would that be for some kind of wireless helmet/flight input? I just can't imagine an SU-27 flying circles two thousand feet below an F-22 attempting to gain a high-speed wi fi link

Offline Turambar

• Determined to inflict his entire social circle on us
  • You can't spell Manslaughter without laughter
ARRH
10:55:48   TurambarBlade: i've been selecting my generals based on how much i like their hats
10:55:55   HerraTohtori: me too!
10:56:01   HerraTohtori: :D

Offline Snagger

So why didn't they build a physically separate network for the passengers using a separate transceiver?

If there's no physical connection and no wifi connection, how exactly would you hack the flight controls?
In what way would passenger systems need to be linked to essential flight systems?  I can't imagine any overlaps, except for  power supplies, and Ican't imagine many flight systems needing amny trancievers that would be compatible with passenger or other PC type systems, let alone be sharing them.

The system is probably fine, but since it's a new scheme IALPA and its pilot members are trying to ensure that the system is rigourously tested. That suits me fine.  I still think that Airbus' involvement is simply corporate tactics to delay the 787 and cause more project costs to Boeing, also causing a loss of public confidence in it to boost Airbus sales as a replacement for cancelled orders. 

Offline Mars

• I have no originality
  • Attempting unreasonable levels of reasonable
Honestly, if you were a terrorist organization, and there was a choice between sending an extremely skilled, talented, one of a kind hacker who, through some stroke of pure magical skill, managed to hack into the control systems of the aircraft, and a grunt with a pound of plastic explosives . . .

Offline Rhymes

• Galactic Mediator
  • Fatum Iustum Stultorum
You'd probably send a grunt. DUH.  :rolleyes: Mars is right.  Nobody in their right mind would send a hacker skilled enough to take control of the plane he's flying in and have him blow it up.  That just reeks of so many levels of stupid it's not fit to be described on HLP.
If you don't have Knossos, you need it.

“There was a button," Holden said. "I pushed it."
"Jesus Christ. That really is how you go through life, isn't it?”

Offline The E

• He's Ebeneezer Goode
  • Nothing personal, just tech support.
    • Steam
    • Twitter
You are missing something. Terrorists may have different ideas of "valuable".  Remember that the 9/11 people were, by all accounts, rather smart young men, who nonetheless chose to die for their cause. And I would guess that a piece of computing equipment is easier to smuggle aboard than a weapon, and its operation easier concealed than a "conventional" hijacking.
If I'm just aching this can't go on
I came from chasing dreams to feel alone
There must be changes, miss to feel strong
I really need lifе to touch me
--Evergrey, Where August Mourns

Offline Flipside

• əp!sd!l£
It's a Wifi connection, if it can reach the Internet, the Internet can reach it. You don't need a skilled hacker, all you need is someone on the plane with a laptop that is connected to the planes network. The Hacker themselves could be anywhere.