Author Topic: Gmax for FreeSpace modelling.  (Read 829 times)

Offline TopAce

• Stalwart contributor
  • FREDder, FSWiki editor, and tester
Gmax for FreeSpace modelling.
This has been asked before, but the links that could provide me with the necessary exporters/importers are broken. I have installed Gmax and its 3ds importer. Unfortunately, it's only an importer, so it's of little use to FS modellers.

So, here's my question. As you know, Gmax can deal only with .gmax files by default. How can I convert my Gmax-created models into the game? Is it at all possible now that Gmax is effectively abandoned?
My community contributions - Get my campaigns from here.

I already announced my retirement twice, yet here I am. If I bring up that topic again, don't believe a word.

Re: Gmax for FreeSpace modelling.
I used NeverWinterMax (NWM) for Gmax. You'll need another converter to go to Truespace.

Offline Getter Robo G

• Elite Super Robot Pilot
I use 3dexporation....

I think I make them mdl files for one of teh quake series I think and then .3ds or .obj, I don't really remember. I stopped Gmax convertign over a year ago.

Hope that helps you a little...
"Don't think of it as being out-numbered, think of it as having a WIDE target selection!"

"I am the one and ONLY Star Dragon..."
Proof for the noobs:  Member Search

[I'm Just an idea guy, NOT: a modeler, texturer, or coder... Word of advice, "Watch out for the ducks!"]

Robotech II - Continuing...
FS2 Trek - Snails move faster than me...
Star Blazers: Journey to Iscandar...
FS GUNDAM - The Myth lives on... :)

Offline rhettro

From what I've read, the most typical way is to install the Quake exporter for Gmax, that lets you export MDL.  Then you need another program like Milkshape to convert the MDL files to 3ds.   Personally I'm trying to do my modeling in Rhino then texture it in Blender then output Collada files.   I'm a super noob when it comes to Blender, but from what I can tell, it is more feature rich than Gmax, if a little less intuitive.