Author Topic: Persistant Lag (wait, hear me out!)  (Read 6498 times)

Re: Persistant Lag (wait, hear me out!)

Driver Version: 8.01.01.899
Version: 3.0.8664

Outdated version of display drivers detected

The current OpenGL driver doesn't expose the SOFTWARE/Microsoft/Windows (NT)/CurrentVersion/OpenGLDrivers registry entry.

Hmm... version mismatch, I would follow advice and reinstall the drivers if I were you, also you can install some older drivers to see if something changes.

About the registry thingie: this basically tells your windows where it should look for OpenGL drivers, as all Windows since XP have disabled native OpenGL support in favor of DirectX, so this Windows versions REALLY need a third party OpenGL driver manufactured by the graphics card vendor (in this case ATI), so make sure you download them.

Another thing: you should have posted this on the support thread. :D
<Hades> YOU DO NOT UNDERSTAND
<Hades> And neither do I
------------------------------------------------------------
<pecenipicek> can you root my /?
<mura> HEY!
<mura> get a room
<mura> you perverts

Offline M87

Based on Arkangel's report, the program is assuming that the version number 8.01.01.899 refers to the most recent OpenGL version. IIRC, the version number 8.01.01.899 is supposed to be the 2D driver version, whereas 3.0.8664 refers to the OpenGL version. I have the same version numbers as Arkangel, and the driver that I had originally installed from ATI's website was released on 5/15/2009, making this version the most recent. By rolling back the 2D driver to 8.01.01.882, the program claims that I'm running the latest OpenGL drivers:

Code: [Select]
Renderer: ATI Radeon HD 4800 Series
Vendor: ATI Technologies Inc.
Memory: 1024 MB
Version: 3.0.8543 Release
Shading language version: 1.30

Max texture size: 8192 x 8192
Max texture coordinates: 16
Max vertex texture image units: 16
Max texture image units: 16
Max geometry texture units: 0
Max anisotropic filtering value: 16
Max number of light sources: 8
Max viewport size: 8192 x 8192
Max uniform vertex components: 512
Max uniform fragment components: 512
Max geometry uniform components: 0
Max varying floats: 68
Max samples: 8
Max draw buffers: 8

Extensions: 136

GL_AMD_performance_monitor
GL_AMD_texture_texture4
GL_AMDX_vertex_shader_tessellator
GL_ARB_color_buffer_float
GL_ARB_depth_buffer_float
GL_ARB_depth_texture
GL_ARB_draw_buffers
GL_ARB_draw_instanced
GL_ARB_fragment_program
GL_ARB_fragment_program_shadow
GL_ARB_fragment_shader
GL_ARB_framebuffer_object
GL_ARB_framebuffer_sRGB
GL_ARB_half_float_pixel
GL_ARB_half_float_vertex
GL_ARB_instanced_arrays
GL_ARB_map_buffer_range
GL_ARB_multisample
GL_ARB_multitexture
GL_ARB_occlusion_query
GL_ARB_pixel_buffer_object
GL_ARB_point_parameters
GL_ARB_point_sprite
GL_ARB_shader_objects
GL_ARB_shader_texture_lod
GL_ARB_shading_language_100
GL_ARB_shadow
GL_ARB_shadow_ambient
GL_ARB_texture_border_clamp
GL_ARB_texture_buffer_object
GL_ARB_texture_compression
GL_ARB_texture_compression_rgtc
GL_ARB_texture_cube_map
GL_ARB_texture_env_add
GL_ARB_texture_env_combine
GL_ARB_texture_env_crossbar
GL_ARB_texture_env_dot3
GL_ARB_texture_float
GL_ARB_texture_mirrored_repeat
GL_ARB_texture_non_power_of_two
GL_ARB_texture_rectangle
GL_ARB_texture_rg
GL_ARB_transpose_matrix
GL_ARB_vertex_array_object
GL_ARB_vertex_buffer_object
GL_ARB_vertex_program
GL_ARB_vertex_shader
GL_ARB_window_pos
GL_ATI_draw_buffers
GL_ATI_envmap_bumpmap
GL_ATI_fragment_shader
GL_ATI_meminfo
GL_ATI_separate_stencil
GL_ATI_texture_compression_3dc
GL_ATI_texture_env_combine3
GL_ATI_texture_float
GL_EXT_abgr
GL_EXT_bgra
GL_EXT_bindable_uniform
GL_EXT_blend_color
GL_EXT_blend_equation_separate
GL_EXT_blend_func_separate
GL_EXT_blend_minmax
GL_EXT_blend_subtract
GL_EXT_compiled_vertex_array
GL_EXT_copy_texture
GL_EXT_draw_buffers2
GL_EXT_draw_range_elements
GL_EXT_fog_coord
GL_EXT_framebuffer_blit
GL_EXT_framebuffer_multisample
GL_EXT_framebuffer_object
GL_EXT_framebuffer_sRGB
GL_EXT_gpu_program_parameters
GL_EXT_gpu_shader4
GL_EXT_multi_draw_arrays
GL_EXT_packed_depth_stencil
GL_EXT_packed_float
GL_EXT_packed_pixels
GL_EXT_point_parameters
GL_EXT_rescale_normal
GL_EXT_secondary_color
GL_EXT_separate_specular_color
GL_EXT_shadow_funcs
GL_EXT_stencil_wrap
GL_EXT_subtexture
GL_EXT_texgen_reflection
GL_EXT_texture3D
GL_EXT_texture_array
GL_EXT_texture_buffer_object
GL_EXT_texture_compression_latc
GL_EXT_texture_compression_rgtc
GL_EXT_texture_compression_s3tc
GL_EXT_texture_cube_map
GL_EXT_texture_edge_clamp
GL_EXT_texture_env_add
GL_EXT_texture_env_combine
GL_EXT_texture_env_dot3
GL_EXT_texture_filter_anisotropic
GL_EXT_texture_integer
GL_EXT_texture_lod_bias
GL_EXT_texture_mirror_clamp
GL_EXT_texture_object
GL_EXT_texture_rectangle
GL_EXT_texture_shared_exponent
GL_EXT_texture_sRGB
GL_EXT_texture_swizzle
GL_EXT_transform_feedback
GL_EXT_vertex_array
GL_KTX_buffer_region
GL_NV_blend_square
GL_NV_conditional_render
GL_NV_copy_depth_to_color
GL_NV_texgen_reflection
GL_SGIS_generate_mipmap
GL_SGIS_texture_edge_clamp
GL_SGIS_texture_lod
GL_WIN_swap_hint
WGL_AMDX_gpu_association
WGL_ARB_buffer_region
WGL_ARB_create_context
WGL_ARB_extensions_string
WGL_ARB_make_current_read
WGL_ARB_multisample
WGL_ARB_pbuffer
WGL_ARB_pixel_format
WGL_ARB_pixel_format_float
WGL_ARB_render_texture
WGL_ATI_pixel_format_float
WGL_ATI_render_texture_rectangle
WGL_EXT_extensions_string
WGL_EXT_framebuffer_sRGB
WGL_EXT_pixel_format_packed_float
WGL_EXT_swap_control
WGL_I3D_genlock
WGL_NV_swap_group

Core features
v1.1 (100 % - 7/7)
v1.2 (100 % - 8/8)
v1.3 (100 % - 9/9)
v1.4 (100 % - 15/15)
v1.5 (100 % - 3/3)
v2.0 (100 % - 10/10)
v2.1 (100 % - 3/3)
v3.0 (100 % - 21/21)
v3.1 (60 % - 3/5)

OpenGL driver version check (Current: 3.0.8543 Release, Latest known: 3.0.8543 Release):
Latest version of display drivers found
According the database, you are running the latest display drivers for your video card.

No ICD registry entry
The current OpenGL driver doesn't expose the SOFTWARE/Microsoft/Windows (NT)/CurrentVersion/OpenGLDrivers registry entry. Unable to detect the driver version, driver revision name and filename.

Compiled vertex array support
This feature improves OpenGL performance by using video memory to cache transformed vertices.

Multitexture support
This feature accelerates complex rendering such as lightmaps or environment mapping.

Secondary color support
This feature provides an alternate method of coloring specular highlights on polygons.

S3TC compression support
This feature improves texture mapping performance in some applications by using lossy compression.

Texture edge clamp support
This feature improves texturing quality by adding clamping control to edge texel filtering.

Vertex program support
This feature enables a wide variety of effects via flexible vertex programming (equivalent to DX8 Vertex Shader.)

Fragment program support
This feature enables a wide variety of effects via per pixel programming (equivalent to DX9 Pixel Shader.)

Texture anisotropic filtering support
This feature improves the quality of texture mapping on oblique surfaces.

Occlusion test support
This feature provides hardware accelerated culling for objects.

Point sprite support
This feature improves performance in some particle systems.

OpenGL Shading Language support
This feature enables high level shading language for shaders.

Frame buffer object support
This feature enables render to texture functionality.

Extension verification:
GL_ARB_framebuffer_object has the entry point glFramebufferTexturLayer missing!
GL_ARB_imaging was not found, but has the entry point glBlendEquation
GL_EXT_geometry_shader4 was not found, but has the entry point glFramebufferTextureEXT
GL_EXT_geometry_shader4 was not found, but has the entry point glFramebufferTextureFaceEXT
GL_EXT_geometry_shader4 was not found, but has the entry point glFramebufferTextureLayerEXT
GL_EXT_geometry_shader4 was not found, but has the entry point glProgramParameteriEXT
GL_EXT_vertex_shader was not found, but has the entry point glBeginVertexShaderEXT
GL_EXT_vertex_shader was not found, but has the entry point glBindLightParameterEXT
GL_EXT_vertex_shader was not found, but has the entry point glBindMaterialParameterEXT
GL_EXT_vertex_shader was not found, but has the entry point glBindParameterEXT
GL_EXT_vertex_shader was not found, but has the entry point glBindTexGenParameterEXT
GL_EXT_vertex_shader was not found, but has the entry point glBindTextureUnitParameterEXT
GL_EXT_vertex_shader was not found, but has the entry point glBindVertexShaderEXT
GL_EXT_vertex_shader was not found, but has the entry point glDeleteVertexShaderEXT
GL_EXT_vertex_shader was not found, but has the entry point glDisableVariantClientStateEXT
GL_EXT_vertex_shader was not found, but has the entry point glEnableVariantClientStateEXT
GL_EXT_vertex_shader was not found, but has the entry point glEndVertexShaderEXT
GL_EXT_vertex_shader was not found, but has the entry point glExtractComponentEXT
GL_EXT_vertex_shader was not found, but has the entry point glGenSymbolsEXT
GL_EXT_vertex_shader was not found, but has the entry point glGenVertexShadersEXT
GL_EXT_vertex_shader was not found, but has the entry point glGetInvariantBooleanvEXT
GL_EXT_vertex_shader was not found, but has the entry point glGetInvariantFloatvEXT
GL_EXT_vertex_shader was not found, but has the entry point glGetInvariantIntegervEXT
GL_EXT_vertex_shader was not found, but has the entry point glGetLocalConstantBooleanvEXT
GL_EXT_vertex_shader was not found, but has the entry point glGetLocalConstantFloatvEXT
GL_EXT_vertex_shader was not found, but has the entry point glGetLocalConstantIntegervEXT
GL_EXT_vertex_shader was not found, but has the entry point glGetVariantBooleanvEXT
GL_EXT_vertex_shader was not found, but has the entry point glGetVariantFloatvEXT
GL_EXT_vertex_shader was not found, but has the entry point glGetVariantIntegervEXT
GL_EXT_vertex_shader was not found, but has the entry point glGetVariantPointervEXT
GL_EXT_vertex_shader was not found, but has the entry point glInsertComponentEXT
GL_EXT_vertex_shader was not found, but has the entry point glIsVariantEnabledEXT
GL_EXT_vertex_shader was not found, but has the entry point glSetInvariantEXT
GL_EXT_vertex_shader was not found, but has the entry point glSetLocalConstantEXT
GL_EXT_vertex_shader was not found, but has the entry point glShaderOp1EXT
GL_EXT_vertex_shader was not found, but has the entry point glShaderOp2EXT
GL_EXT_vertex_shader was not found, but has the entry point glShaderOp3EXT
GL_EXT_vertex_shader was not found, but has the entry point glSwizzleEXT
GL_EXT_vertex_shader was not found, but has the entry point glVariantPointerEXT
GL_EXT_vertex_shader was not found, but has the entry point glVariantbvEXT
GL_EXT_vertex_shader was not found, but has the entry point glVariantdvEXT
GL_EXT_vertex_shader was not found, but has the entry point glVariantfvEXT
GL_EXT_vertex_shader was not found, but has the entry point glVariantivEXT
GL_EXT_vertex_shader was not found, but has the entry point glVariantsvEXT
GL_EXT_vertex_shader was not found, but has the entry point glVariantubvEXT
GL_EXT_vertex_shader was not found, but has the entry point glVariantuivEXT
GL_EXT_vertex_shader was not found, but has the entry point glVariantusvEXT
GL_EXT_vertex_shader was not found, but has the entry point glWriteMaskEXT
GL_NV_transform_feedback was not found, but has the entry point glGetIntegerIndexedvEXT
GL_NV_transform_feedback was not found, but has the entry point glGetBooleanIndexedvEXT
GL_ATI_shader_texture_lod was not found, but is available in driver version 2.1.7873 Release
GL_EXT_depth_buffer_float was not found, but is available in driver version 2.1.7976 Release

I have to be a little bit skeptical on the reliability of this program if it claims that an older driver version is in fact the most recent version and uses this claim to generate a report on my system. As you can see in my report, the two version numbers were treated as two separate variables, whereas in Arkangel's report, these numbers are compared as if they referred to the same thing. Regardless, rolling back my driver to this particular version does not correct the comm animation frame rate issue.

I've tried versions 9.4, 9.1, and all the 8 releases and the same issue regarding the anims persists. As far as i can tell it isn't a driver issue or a driver issue on ATI's end anyway. Also noticed that there is constant stuttering on the weapons load-out screen, probably due to the weapon anims there. I think its reasonable to assume its the anims that are the problem which to me doesnt make sense as as far as i'm aware they havn't changed in any build, so why now?
SCP is the greatest cause of Inferiority Complexes in those that can't run it

Code: [Select]
No ICD registry entry
The current OpenGL driver doesn't expose the SOFTWARE/Microsoft/Windows (NT)/CurrentVersion/OpenGLDrivers registry entry. Unable to detect the driver version, driver revision name and filename.

Again and again, This is the real problem. You boys aren't having any opengl hardware accelleration, because of that. The drivers don't seem to register.

I've tried versions 9.4, 9.1, and all the 8 releases and the same issue regarding the anims persists. As far as i can tell it isn't a driver issue or a driver issue on ATI's end anyway. Also noticed that there is constant stuttering on the weapons load-out screen, probably due to the weapon anims there. I think its reasonable to assume its the anims that are the problem which to me doesnt make sense as as far as i'm aware they havn't changed in any build, so why now?

That's strange, I'm having that same problem than you (except that the frame comms are behaving normally) and my system is by far very low-end.
I need to use D3D to work in my computer... perhaps is that you're using D3D without having noticed and that causes the ani's on the weapon loadout to be slowed down.

However, that's even more strange, since 3.6.10 always uses opengl no matter what the launcher is configured on, as karajorma said previously.

Two possible suspects:
 - It's the registry thingie
 - It's the 64-bit windows

OR, both are the causes of your problems.
<Hades> And neither do I
<mura> HEY!
<mura> get a room
<mura> you perverts

Is anyone else having issues with 64bit though? I heard others are using it fine...

Offline colecampbell666

• I See Dead Pictures
  • Evolution and ascension.
I've used both Vista and 7 64 bit.
Gettin' back to dodgin' lasers.

Offline M87

Thanks for the help.

Again and again, This is the real problem. You boys aren't having any opengl hardware accelleration, because of that. The drivers don't seem to register.
Well, there has to be OpenGL hardware acceleration of some form if we are able to play FSO with OpenGL set at default through the recent build. I also went ahead and tested programs that use OpenGL extensively, like Celestia, and they work just fine. I would guess that this ICD registry issue is preventing full OpenGL 3.0 support, allowing older versions to be compatible. I don't know... as I said, I'm skeptical of the accuracy of the report since the program sees no difference between a 2D driver version number and an OpenGL version number. Do you know how to resolve this issue without rolling back drivers?

Regardless, I don't think it is the cause of the frame rate issue. I asked my roommate to test his computer. Both of us built our computers with similar specifications (Vista 64-bit): main difference is that his GPU is a NVIDIA GTX 260 while I went with ATI. He also gets the "No ICD registry entry" statement in OpenGL Extensions Viewer, yet he does not experience the frame rate issue during gameplay.

I should mention that Arkangel said that this issue was not evident in earlier builds. I tried the 3.6.9 build and I see no drops in frame rate when animations occur. However, I do find the issues in builds 3.6.10 and 3.6.10 RC2. If you prefer, I can generate a fs_open.log file for you. Again, thanks for the help.
« Last Edit: May 25, 2009, 09:21:25 pm by M87 »

I read somewhere that catalyst 9.1 had some issues with openGL 3.0 but they where supposedly rectified by 9.5. Guess we may have found another issue altogether. (Queried ATI's tech support on the matter).

Not sure if its relevant or if any of you guys have the same issue but every time i restart my computer and then the launcher my custom flags are reset...

I don't suppose any of you copied your freespace across from another computer?
« Last Edit: May 26, 2009, 07:32:05 am by Arkangel »

I'm having a similar issue whenever a communication animation pops up, causing fps loss.  I have also had command briefing voices stutter.  I had no issue on FS port, but on the main FS2 campaign, with the media VP's, i'm having this issue.  It isnt rendering the game entirely unplayable, but it can be an inconvenience.  I updated my graphics drivers and still had the same issue.  System config is as follows:

Dell Inspiron 1501
AMD athlon 64 x2 1.7ghz
2.5gb ddr2 so-dimm
ATI Radeon Xpress 1150 Integrated GPU
Sigmatel onboard audio

I am running on the version 3.6.10 .exe with 1200x800 resolution, with no AA or AF, bilinear filtering, with mip-mapping and environment mapping enabled.  I dont recall having any such issue on retail FS2 about a years ago when i last played through it, so i am inclined to believe that the issue is isolated to FSO.

Offline Wobble73

• Reality is for people with no imagination
    • Steam
Try pre load mission game sounds on the audio part of features in the launcher!

:nervous:

On board audio!

:ick:

Who is General Failure and why is he reading my hard disk?
Early bird gets the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese
Ambition is a poor excuse for not having enough sense to be lazy.

Member of the Scooby Doo Fanclub. And we're not talking a cartoon dog here people!!

You would be well adviced to question the wisdom of older forumites, we all have our preferences and perversions

Offline captain-custard

• previously known as andicirk
  • one sandwich short of a picnic
ok as far as i can see the drivers are fine , in fact great they have 100% open gl 2.1 support and thats all Fsopen needs , so what other cause can it be , are your mediavps ok? where were they downloaded, if you used tureys installer , bin them and redownload them using the links in the forum.....;

the 3.6.9 does not have FPS issues because it doesnt use normal maps ....;

so we have a corrupt mediavps or another problem

so please post the log using a rc2 debug build

and try redownloading the mvps

"Duct tape is like the force. It has a light side, a dark side, and it holds the universe together."

Thanks for the help.

You're welcome. ^^

Well, there has to be OpenGL hardware acceleration of some form if we are able to play FSO with OpenGL set at default through the recent build. I also went ahead and tested programs that use OpenGL extensively, like Celestia, and they work just fine. I would guess that this ICD registry issue is preventing full OpenGL 3.0 support, allowing older versions to be compatible. I don't know... as I said, I'm skeptical of the accuracy of the report since the program sees no difference between a 2D driver version number and an OpenGL version number. Do you know how to resolve this issue without rolling back drivers?

Regardless, I don't think it is the cause of the frame rate issue. I asked my roommate to test his computer. Both of us built our computers with similar specifications (Vista 64-bit): main difference is that his GPU is a NVIDIA GTX 260 while I went with ATI. He also gets the "No ICD registry entry" statement in OpenGL Extensions Viewer, yet he does not experience the frame rate issue during gameplay.

I should mention that Arkangel said that this issue was not evident in earlier builds. I tried the 3.6.9 build and I see no drops in frame rate when animations occur. However, I do find the issues in builds 3.6.10 and 3.6.10 RC2. If you prefer, I can generate a fs_open.log file for you. Again, thanks for the help.

Agreed with you, perhaps Vista doesn't need anymore that reg key and stores the opengl driver on some another place.

Anyway, if the program is not to be thrusted 100% then, maybe a bug on the extensions viewer.

And to solve the issue, It'll be very informative if you post your command line here, or even better, the fs2_open.log after running the debug build.
<Hades> And neither do I
<mura> HEY!
<mura> get a room
<mura> you perverts

Offline chief1983

• Still lacks a custom title
  • ⬇️⬆️⬅️⬅️🅰➡️⬇️
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
    • Fate of the Galaxy
Zacam mentioned quite a while ago that the latest versions of the extension viewer have buggy version detection.  Still, I think it's getting some stuff right, but it's correct that it's hard to know what now.
Fate of the Galaxy - Now Hiring!  Apply within | Diaspora | SCP Home | Collada Importer for PCS2
Karajorma's 'How to report bugs' | Mantis
#freespace | #scp-swc | #diaspora | #SCP | #hard-light on EsperNet

"You may not sell or otherwise commercially exploit the source or things you created based on the source." -- Excerpt from FSO license, for reference

Nuclear1:  Jesus Christ zack you're a little too hamyurger for HLP right now...
iamzack:  i dont have hamynerge i just want ptatoc hips D:
redsniper:  Platonic hips?!
iamzack:  lays

Offline M87

It isnt rendering the game entirely unplayable, but it can be an inconvenience.
I agree.

Try pre load mission game sounds on the audio part of features in the launcher!
I gave that a shot a while ago and the issue is still present.

the 3.6.9 does not have FPS issues because it doesnt use normal maps ....;
I guess that could be a cause, but I tried disabling normal maps in the recent builds and I can still detect the frame rate drop. I also downloaded the mediaVPs using the links from the FreeSpace Upgrade Project forum (MV_Complete and MV_music). I've attached the fs_open.log file for your convenience. Thanks.

[attachment deleted by ninja]

Did you try the -no_glsl flag?
<Hades> And neither do I
<mura> HEY!
<mura> get a room
<mura> you perverts

Offline FUBAR-BDHR

• Self-Propelled Trouble Magnet
  • Master Drunk
    • 165th Beer Drinking Hell Raisers
Do you have any problems with .ani files outside FS2?  You can open them up by installing aniview in your fs2\tools directory.  It may require other tools like VPView to be installed first.
No-one ever listens to Zathras. Quite mad, they say. It is good that Zathras does not mind. He's even grown to like it. Oh yes. -Zathras

Has anyone with 32 bit vista and a ATI video card had this problem?

Offline M87

I used -no_glsl and the issue still persists. I have no problem with the .ani files outside of FS2.