Author Topic: Good freeware games  (Read 8760 times)

Good freeware games
Has anyone played any good freeware games lately? Most of the ones I've looked at aren't very good, though these two were great:

UFO: Alien Invasion - an intense, turn-based squad tactical strategy game. Really pretty, tons of depth. Centers around a organization of international soldiers that are Earth's only line of defense from aliens.

Warzone 2100 - Sort of a standard rts with a Sid Meier's Alpha Centauri style unit design process.
Sig nuked! New one coming soon!

Offline Vidmaster

• Inventor of FS2 bullettime ;-)
Re: Good freeware games
The Babylon Project but I guess that doesn't count  :lol:

TAGAP!!!!
www.tagap.net
Devoted member of the Official Karajorma Fan Club (Founded and Led by Mobius).

Does crazy Software Engineering for a living, until he finally musters the courage to start building games for real. Might never happen.

Offline Narvi

Warzone 2100 is similar to FS2, in that it's currently open-source. I wish they'd make better pathfinding though; is one of my favourite games but pathfinding sucks ass.

Offline Flipside

• əp!sd!l£
Same here, and the Skirmish AI has been too dumbed down, it used to be nearly impossible, and now it's way way too easy, though, in part, that's because the pathfinding tends to end up clogging enemy bases so that none of its units can move.

Good freeware games?

Here's my collection:

I Wanna Be The Guy - Immensely challenging platformer. Only expert gamers need apply.
Eversion - Deceptively cute platformer hiding a very dark secret. (Author's warning: not intended for children or those of a nervous disposition.)
Cave Story - Quite possibly the best freeware game ever. Good characters, plotline, gameplay, sidequests, music. A 2D shooter/platformer hybrid, kinda like Metroid without quite as much exploration. You owe it to yourself to play this game.

Blue Wish Resurrection + - freeware shmup somewhat reminiscient of DoDonPachi. Challenging without being unfair, with some really nice music.
Eden's Edge - another shmup, same designer as BWR. Somewhat simpler but still highly enjoyable.
Fraxy - boss rush shmup in which you can download bosses made by other people. Quality depends on how good the boss maker was.

I have quite a few more shmups, but those are the best.
"You need to believe in things that aren't true. How else can they become?" -DEATH, Discworld

"You can fight like a krogan, run like a leopard, but you'll never be better than Commander Shepard!"

Offline CP5670

• Dr. Evil
  • Global Moderator
Neverball: Probably my favorite free game these days. Great graphics, well designed levels and some nice music. The gameplay is based on Super Monkey Ball, although with an abstract look and feel that works very well for this type of game.

Hurrican: Nice platformer with a surprising degree of depth in its gameplay. The graphics are very good and it feels quite polished for a free game.

Outbound: An older but still good top-down mech game. It has 8 fairly large levels, each having their own gameplay objectives and graphics tilesets.

As for RTSs, C&C and Red Alert 1 come to mind and are both freely available now, if you haven't already played them. C&C's cutscenes are just classic, and I still occasionally load up RA skirmishes with my old future wars mod and watch the AIs fight. :D
« Last Edit: May 25, 2009, 03:24:05 pm by CP5670 »

Fun while it lasted.

Then bitter.

If you're looking for a good freeware RTS, Spring is a great game.  Imagine Supreme Commander with TA units and without Crysis-like requirements.
17:37:02   Quanto: I want to have sexual intercourse with every space elf in existence
17:37:11   SpardaSon21: even the males?
17:37:22   Quanto: its not gay if its an elf

[21:51] <@Droid803> I now realize
[21:51] <@Droid803> this will be SLIIIIIGHTLY awkward
[21:51] <@Droid803> as this rich psychic girl will now be tsundere for a loli.
[21:51] <@Droid803> OH WELLL.

See what you're missing in #WoD and #Fsquest?

[07:57:32] <Caiaphas> inspired by HerraTohtori i built a supermaneuverable plane in ksp
[07:57:43] <Caiaphas> i just killed my pilots with a high-g maneuver
[07:58:19] <Caiaphas> apparently people can't take 20 gees for 5 continuous seconds
[08:00:11] <Caiaphas> the plane however performed admirably, and only crashed because it no longer had any guidance systems

Offline Sushi

• Art Critic
If you like Cave Story, you should also check out Within a Deep Forest (and, to a lesser extent, Knyt Stories). Very atmospheric 2d platformers.

Offline NGTM-1R

• I reject your reality and substitute my own
  • Syndral Active. 0410.
UFO: Alien Invasion - an intense, turn-based squad tactical strategy game. Really pretty, tons of depth. Centers around a organization of international soldiers that are Earth's only line of defense from aliens..

That's like the only X-Com remake that ever worked.
"Load sabot. Target Zaku, direct front!"

A Feddie Story

Offline BloodEagle

• Bleeding Paradox!
    • Steam
Cave Story - Quite possibly the best freeware game ever. Good characters, plotline, gameplay, sidequests, music. A 2D shooter/platformer hybrid, kinda like Metroid without quite as much exploration. You owe it to yourself to play this game.

Fixed for great justice.

-----------------------------

Cave Story
LA-MULANA
The Apocalyptic Game About Penguins
Survival Crisis Z
Red Valkyrie
Decker
Iter Vehemens ad Necem
Nethack and/or Falcon's Eye
Battleships Forever
Soldat
Transcendence
Walkover
The Ur-Quan Masters
Wolfenstein: Enemy Territory
Crazy Cross
Notrium
Bontãgo
GameBiz 2
Clonk Planet and/or Clonk Endeavour
Theseus - Return of the Hero
The Ur-Quan Masters
Eversion
1213 (Only to be played for the secret ending, the game itself is actually pretty poor.)
Five Days a Stranger and Seven Days a Skeptic (I don't care for the games in the series outside of those two, but make sure you play Five Days, then Seven Days. They're the first two, and it's crucial to the plot that you play them in order.)
----

I found (re-found, actually) another freeware game. But I'm going to give it its own thread in a few hours, so....

Offline MP-Ryan

• Makes General Discussion Make Sense.
  • Global Moderator
  • Keyboard > Pen > Sword
    • Twitter
TripleA - An Axis&Allies game (with multiple modes).  http://triplea.sourceforge.net

It's sucked more than a few hours out of my life lately.
"In the beginning, the Universe was created.  This made a lot of people very angry and has widely been regarded as a bad move."  [Douglas Adams]

Offline colecampbell666

• I See Dead Pictures
  • Evolution and ascension.
Wolfenstein: Enemy Territory. Pretty good multiplayer FPS.
Gettin' back to dodgin' lasers.

Offline Ghostavo

• Let it be glue!
    • Twitter
Grand Theft Auto and its sequel come to mind.
"Closing the Box" - a campaign in the making :nervous:

Shrike is a dirty dirty admin, he's the destroyer of souls... oh god, let it be glue...

Offline Enigmatic Entity

• Exemplar Essayer
  • Amigo ad infinitum.
Racer it quite a good free 3D racing simulator, though there are some bugs with it on my computer. Download other people's cars, tracks, etc.

The downside is that I haven't figured out how to make the AI go faster than 60km/h (or 120km/h for the Lambourg you first get), and some of the collision detection between car and ground is a bit dodgey. Also, learn the hotkeys, because sometimes you fly off the level and fall forever unless you use the "return to track" hotkey. And it seems to be discontinued.

Also, http://xmoto.tuxfamily.org/ is the page for a 2D side-scrolling motorbike game like ElastoMania. It has no in-built editor that I'm aware of, but it's OK. No suspension worth noting on the bike, and the brakes always allow a small bit of movement.

http://supertux.lethargik.org/
For people who like Tux the linux penguin. Comes in Windows format as well.

http://www.gltron.org/
Discontinued Tron game, ride in squares without crashing into your opponents' wall(s). Fun multiplayer. Make your own skins. Try fast in mini map, test your reaction times. Crash the game by creating too many right-angles (not a problem unless you try).

http://www.warsow.net/
FPS with MSPaint graphics, very fast, different moves, hard bots. Weird sounds.
Juvenescence and multifariousness is eternal.

Offline Sushi

• Art Critic
Speaking of racing games...
Trackmania Nations Forever has some of the coolest track setups I've ever seen. I hear the paid version of the game (Trackmania United) is even better, but Nations has more than enough variety to keep me interested. Tracks are almost all done by players (track editor included).
GeneRally is a fun little gem of a racing game. Great for hotseat multiplayer![/url]

Also...
Continuum/Subspace is a lot of fun, if you can get it to work on your system.
Battle of Endor/Battle of Yavin: Very simple premise, but faithfully and effectively executed. Until FotG or someone does them better, at least... :D
BZFlag Deserves a mention too.
Kobo Deluxe is a very pure arcade shooter, lots of fun. Easy to get into a blissful "zone" of shooting things for hours.[/url]

Offline Mikes

UFO: Alien Invasion - an intense, turn-based squad tactical strategy game. Really pretty, tons of depth. Centers around a organization of international soldiers that are Earth's only line of defense from aliens.

Good stuff :) Thanks!

Offline ssmit132

• Also known as "Typhlomence"
    • Steam
    • Twitter
GeneRally is a fun little gem of a racing game. Great for hotseat multiplayer![/url]
Yes, Generally is a nice little game. I haven't played it in a while, though.

Also, TORCS, a free racing simulator. Sort of like Racer, mentioned earlier. It has its own track editor, too.

I remember I did an article on Racer for a English assignment in year 9. :)

The downside is that I haven't figured out how to make the AI go faster than 60km/h (or 120km/h for the Lambourg you first get),
On any track, you have to record a path for the AI, with each car you want to race with. It was a pain, sometimes, when you kept messing up trying to do a good lap.

Offline Dragon

• Citation needed
  • The sky is the limit.
You can try Dargonfable: http://www.dragonfable.com/
It's a good ,fantasy RPG ,you can play free or buy an account upgrade (I play free).
This site also have links to two other games ,first is Mechquest ,something like Dragonfable in SF
(it's a bit weaker than DF) and the second is Adventure Quest ,a predecessor of DF ,though happening a bit later.
Sometimes it's a bit difficult to log in to Adventure Quest because of the server limits (servers are full nearly all the time).

Offline colecampbell666

• I See Dead Pictures
  • Evolution and ascension.
That's a flash game, much different than freeware in the sense we're talking. Freeware refers to downloadable in-depth games, not free browser-based demos.
Gettin' back to dodgin' lasers.