Author Topic: Is Spore turning into the new Sims 2?  (Read 10821 times)

Offline Scotty

• 1.21 gigawatts!
  • Guns, guns, guns.
Re: Is Spore turning into the new Sims 2?
He just said in campaign.  Are you honestly holding the AI to spotlessness in a campaign that you start out at a disadvantage in every mission anyway?

Offline Leeko

• Computer ketchup
  • Lurking since 2009
All they seem to make is RTS games are RTS games aren't my cup of tea.

So you've never heard of Diablo or WoW?

I was continually killing units with a fleet of Zerg Queens.

Queens are spellcaster units. They don't have a direct-damage attack. Unless you count Spawn Broodlings, but that only affects units and not buildings. The Broodlings themselves are weak as hell anyway... certainly not enough to start blowing up your enemy's base. Durrrr.

And I just did as Scotty suggested - I edited all of the resources out of the map Astral Balance, started up a quick melee game against an AI, typed in the cheat "black sheep wall" so I can see everything, and watched as the AI did nothing.
« Last Edit: July 26, 2009, 07:23:01 pm by Leeko »

He just said in campaign.  Are you honestly holding the AI to spotlessness in a campaign that you start out at a disadvantage in every mission anyway?

Yes I am holding it to spotlessness. You say "oh it doesn't cheat" and now you're saying "oh you were playing the campaign, so you shouldn't complain anyway" essentially. And yes I am holding it to spotlessness.

and WHY? Because, sometimes, the most satisfying victories are the ones that are the closest. The ones where you're down and defeated but you claw your way to victory. That's not possible with the Starcraft campaign. Because it CHEATS. Simple as that. So instead, I have to restart the map, and walk all over the AI because I know the map already, and basically waste my time winning a mission that I should've been able to win the first time.

So you've never heard of Diablo or WoW?

I'll shoot myself before I throw hours of my life away grinding on WoW. (not to mention paying a fee every month??? no thanks)
As for Diablo. Heard of it, didn't interest me either. It might be amusing, but I've played similar games and stopped before finishing them.

Queens are spellcaster units. They don't have a direct-damage attack. Unless you count Spawn Broodlings, but that only affects units and not buildings. The Broodlings themselves are weak as hell anyway... certainly not enough to start blowing up your enemy's base. Durrrr.

Don't have a direct damage attack? They kill units with one shot. I call that direct damage. Obviously I had more than just queens but the queens were intended to wear him down, but 40+ dead Hydralisks later he was still building them. Attacked his spawning pool or something with some other guys, he rebuilt it, etcetera and so on. I don't care what it does in a pick-up game. I wasn't playing a pick-up game. I was playing a campaign game and there were a minimum number of defenders he would replenish regardless of how long he was out of resources.

Offline Scotty

• 1.21 gigawatts!
  • Guns, guns, guns.
You say "oh it doesn't cheat" and now you're saying "oh you were playing the campaign, so you shouldn't complain anyway" essentially.

Yes, because there is a GIGANTIC difference between the single-player AI and the multi-player AI.  If the multi AI cheated, that would be stupid. 

and WHY? Because, sometimes, the most satisfying victories are the ones that are the closest. The ones where you're down and defeated but you claw your way to victory. That's not possible with the Starcraft campaign. Because it CHEATS. Simple as that. So instead, I have to restart the map, and walk all over the AI because I know the map already, and basically waste my time winning a mission that I should've been able to win the first time.

This entire paragraph confuses me.  You start out by saying it's better to win by a slim margin, then go on to bash the game about challenging you the first time through?  If you run out of resources during one of the campaign missions, you aren't playing it right.  Those things are practically littered with resources.

I'll shoot myself before I throw hours of my life away grinding on WoW.

But not before you throw hours of your life away arguing about the AI on a game in a forum.

Don't have a direct damage attack? They kill units with one shot. I call that direct damage.

The queen inflicts all damage through abilities, not direct attacks.  It does not have a direct attack.  if you think otherwise, click on something and watch it not attack.

40+ dead Hydralisks later he was still building them.

Only 40?  Those things are most definately NOT for small group attacks.  To win the later Zerg missions you have to swarm bases multiple times with 60+ at a time.  A multitasker you must be.

Yes, because there is a GIGANTIC difference between the single-player AI and the multi-player AI.  If the multi AI cheated, that would be stupid. 

I've already stated I don't play multiplayer.

This entire paragraph confuses me.  You start out by saying it's better to win by a slim margin, then go on to bash the game about challenging you the first time through?  If you run out of resources during one of the campaign missions, you aren't playing it right.  Those things are practically littered with resources.

Yes it's better to win by a slim margin but the slimmer the margin the less likely the win because the computer can't be beat in a war of attrition because he will always replace a default number of units. Though I won at least one of those battles. Because I remember one campaign game where I sent even my collector bugs to do battle in one massive attack and managed somehow to win out.

But not before you throw hours of your life away arguing about the AI on a game in a forum.

If you're spending hours on your replies you need to learn to type with more than one finger.

The queen inflicts all damage through abilities, not direct attacks.  It does not have a direct attack.  if you think otherwise, click on something and watch it not attack.

A rose by any other name.
It has an ability, where it can destroy a unit with one shot. (spawn broodlings) I call that direct damage. You can call it whatever you want but it's a direct attack that kills a unit.

40+ dead Hydralisks later he was still building them.

Only 40?  Those things are most definately NOT for small group attacks.  To win the later Zerg missions you have to swarm bases multiple times with 60+ at a time.  A multitasker you must be.

No. I killed 40 Hydralisks at least, after all the resources were exhausted and after he had stopped attacking or even leaving his base but he kept building them so obviously the AI was cheating.

Anyway. We've established that the campaign AI cheats and that's what bothers me about that game so that's that.

Offline Scotty

• 1.21 gigawatts!
  • Guns, guns, guns.
Please enlighten me as to the content of this mission.  You go from saying that you had Queens and were killing his units with Spawn Broodling to saying that you killed 40+ Hydralisks and they kept coming.  There is only one mission in the non-expansion where Zerg fights Zerg.

Yes it's better to win by a slim margin but the slimmer the margin the less likely the win

I think I see what you mean here.  You want it slim, but not too slim, and damn any game that doesn't get it perfect.

If you're spending hours on your replies you need to learn to type with more than one finger.

A little uncalled for, this.  Also, I said the argument, not the replies.
No. I killed 40 Hydralisks at least, after all the resources were exhausted and after he had stopped attacking or even leaving his base but he kept building them so obviously the AI was cheating.

Okay, one more time.  Let's try a different method to disprove cheating.  Are you aware of the end-game statistics screen.  If yes, continue.  If not, go find it.  Do you see the tabs at the top of the graph?  If yes, click on the one labelled "Resources."  Once you have done that, look carefully at the stats there.  It shows exactly how much was mined, both of minerals and gas, for the entire scenario.  It also shows the total amount spent by all parties, even if said parties did not have resources to being with.  The "Amount Spent" column will never exceed the combined total of both "Mined" columns.

Finally, if you still fail to accept that, think of why the computer would have run out of resources if all it was doing was replenishing to a base amount.  I think the issue here is that you think the computer plays the same way you do, by spending a lot of resources to build large attack forces.  Not the case.  Secondly, think of how many resource areas the computer players controlled at the beginning of the game.  This is especially important if more than one computer player is present.  If so, would the player you go after second have more resources left by virtue of not having to build units?  I would think so.

EDIT:  Before you say there aren't that many resources on the map, check said map in the editor, and add up total resources.  Then give it a leeway of ~10k each, because they have to start with something, and they are supposed to have an advantage.
« Last Edit: July 27, 2009, 09:53:41 pm by Scotty »

Please enlighten me as to the content of this mission.  You go from saying that you had Queens and were killing his units with Spawn Broodling to saying that you killed 40+ Hydralisks and they kept coming.  There is only one mission in the non-expansion where Zerg fights Zerg.

Dude, I don't know what mission it was. It was probably the expansion and I played it more than a year ago.
Anyway. Why don't you and I both stop wasting our time on this debate and do something more productive?  :nod: