Author Topic: Blue Planet Terran fighters  (Read 11836 times)

Offline Woolie Wool

• Fire main batteries
Re: Blue Planet Terran fighters
OK, this zip has two versions of the Ezechiel, a four-gun version (which is tabled with the name GTF Eos), and the original eight-gun layout. The Eos version is an advanced space superiority fighter, more potent than the Perseus or Myrmidon but not overwhelming by any means, behaving a lot like a much more advanced Apollo. The table entry comes from my mod "The Third War" (working title, not final) that is set in 2393 (and like Blue Planet, follows a story of a war between the GTVA and Earth, although it takes a very different path from either Blue Planet's or Inferno's storylines), and I edited the tech description so it references United  Earth and the UEF Uhian as a rival design rather than the Sol Republic and the SRF Benkei and replaced the Third War weapons with Blue Planet ones. The eight-gun Ezechiel has the original tables, which I think are very overpowered and will require adjustment.

Give Jadehawk credit for the skin.

http://www.sendspace.com/file/88wpic
16:46   Quanto   ****, a mosquito somehow managed to bite the side of my palm
16:46   Quanto   it itches like hell
16:46   Woolie   !8ball does Quanto have malaria
16:46   BotenAnna   Woolie: The outlook is good.
16:47   Quanto   D:

"did they use anesthetic when they removed your sense of humor or did you have to weep and struggle like a tiny baby"
--General Battuta

Offline Darius

I initially wasn't going to include the Ezechiel in the modpack, but you've just won me over with that picture :)

Offline eliex

If BP uses the original 8-gun layout in coordination with the Balor autocannon, the UE is in for a long struggle.
The GTVA are the ones to fly the Ezechiel right?  :nervous:

Offline darkdaej

• Wingmen: Useless buggers
LOL thank god this campaign isn't making money, Blizzard and GPG would have your asses for lunch XD

Terran destroyer which is basically a 3d, 3km long flying Vulture, head ani from SupCom, a background image from the UEF Intro, the term UEF being used...

Not that I'm complaining.  The "Raynor" (another reference!) class looks cool XD

Offline Snail

• SC 5
Darius didn't name the Raynor.

Offline colecampbell666

• I See Dead Pictures
  • Evolution and ascension.
The Raynor's quite old, it was a community collaboration. And it's not ripping off of SupCom, it's using Greek/Egyptian mythology. Except for the blatant main hall.
Gettin' back to dodgin' lasers.

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
  • i wonder when my postcount will exceed my iq
And the .anis.

But we're happy to tip the hat now and again. Rheza Station, anyone?

Offline Woolie Wool

• Fire main batteries
How about the fact that the wingmen in AoA are named Corey and Taylor (Jeez, Darius, you make such awesome music but you listen to Slipknot?! Ewww...). Or the fact that Samuel Bei's mother is named Mei Ling? (I'm tempted to say you should've added an MGS in-joke where Samuel starts repeating things his mother says to him as questions, but that would wreck the drama). :lol:
16:46   Quanto   ****, a mosquito somehow managed to bite the side of my palm
16:46   Quanto   it itches like hell
16:46   Woolie   !8ball does Quanto have malaria
16:46   BotenAnna   Woolie: The outlook is good.
16:47   Quanto   D:

"did they use anesthetic when they removed your sense of humor or did you have to weep and struggle like a tiny baby"
--General Battuta

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
You got on the first transport out of Capella?

Metal...Gear?

Offline darkdaej

The Raynor's quite old, it was a community collaboration. And it's not ripping off of SupCom, it's using Greek/Egyptian mythology. Except for the blatant main hall.

wasn't aware, but still, the SupCom references abound, as i mentionned, the background page, head anis and the UEF being mentionned now XD

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
Okay, since people on IRC are getting pissed at you, a mild clarification:

These are what we call 'tips of the hat'. They do not 'abound', there are at most two of them (the .anis/background and the name), but even so the name is not really much different from United Earth, United Federation of Planets, Earth Federation, Earth Alliance, etcetera.

BP and Supreme Commander share nothing in common. All that said, Darius clearly likes Supreme Commander.  :p It's good-natured referencing, not ripoff or derivation.

Offline darkdaej

Okay, since people on IRC are getting pissed at you, a mild clarification:

These are what we call 'tips of the hat'. They do not 'abound', there are at most two of them (the .anis/background and the name), but even so the name is not really much different from United Earth, United Federation of Planets, Earth Federation, Earth Alliance, etcetera.

BP and Supreme Commander share nothing in common. All that said, Darius clearly likes Supreme Commander.  :p It's good-natured referencing, not ripoff or derivation.

To the thinskins on the IRC channel:  Grow up.  I was not criticizing the Campaign, only underscoring the copyrighted material shown in it.  Blue Planet is a very entertaining campaign, the story is very good and the big ships rock. 

The fact that SupCom was used to inspire some elements of the campaign doesn't bother me at all.  I did the same thing in my old writing projects (I write original stories mostly for fun) when I began, and only recently did I consider myself talented enough to remove any copyrighted material to my texts.

Offline Snail

• SC 5
I wasn't criticizing you in particular, just the whole horde of people doing so too. Someone even did it in an inflammatory way a while back, forget who.

Offline darkdaej

I wasn't criticizing you in particular, just the whole horde of people doing so too. Someone even did it in an inflammatory way a while back, forget who.

Maybe so, but Batttuta clearly said the IRC chan population is getting pissed at me ;)

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
Nah, Snail was just worried it actually was a ripoff.  :p

Offline Aardwolf

• Minecraft
Just a quick comment: the Ezekiel's texturing looks a lot closer to the "Lao Tze" (at least as far as color scheme), and the name doesn't seem very GTVA-suitable either.

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
We can always rename it.

The UEF has plenty of cool ships. There has to be fun stuff to shoot at, too.

Offline Aardwolf

• Minecraft
How are you going to justify the Ezekiel's (and Diomedes') non-presence in AoA?

The name Age of Aquarius seems so unfitting now that we know it's going to be a trilogy...

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
Well, I'll defer to Darius here, but I'm gonna say it's because the 14th Battlegroup was a specialized, elite task force composed of assets deemed mission-critical but possibly expendable. They had to strike a balance between 'our very best' and 'what we can count on', not to mention 'what we can afford to lose if it all goes bottoms-up.'

Not all that difficult, and certainly no stretch of the imagination.

Offline Androgeos Exeunt

• Captain Oblivious
  • Prevents attraction.
    • Wordpress.com Blog

In fact, it's on the very first page of the Celebration of FreeSpace thread. ;)

I also recall Battuta saying that this will be in WiH as well. Correct me if I'm wrong, Battuta. :nervous:
My blog

Quote: Tuesday, 3 October 2023 0133 UTC +8, #general
MP-Ryan
Oh you still believe in fairy tales like Santa, the Easter Bunny, and free market competition principles?