Author Topic: MechWarrior Online  (Read 269223 times)

Offline Scotty

• 1.21 gigawatts!
  • Guns, guns, guns.
Re: New MechWarrior Game?
Yeah.  That, and 'Mechs actually have a set of rules for "thrashing around on the ground," complete with facing changes and propping themselves up on arms to fire weapons and stuff like that.

Offline Colonol Dekker

• HLP is my mistress
  • Aken Tigh Dekker- you've probably heard me
    • My old squad sub-domain
Herc pilots however are a different matter. They're all born of survivors of a nuclear war that makes Judgement day look like a bit of sunburn.
Campaigns I've added my distinctiveness to-
- Blue Planet: Battle Captains
-Battle of Neptune
-Between the Ashes 2
-Blue planet: Age of Aquarius
-FOTG?
-Inferno R1
-Ribos: The aftermath / -Retreat from Deneb
-Sol: A History
-TBP EACW teaser
-Earth Brakiri war
-TBP Fortune Hunters (I think?)
-TBP Relic
-Trancsend (Possibly?)
-Uncharted Territory
-Vassagos Dirge
-War Machine
(Others lost to the mists of time and no discernible audit trail)

Your friendly Orestes tactical controller.

Secret bomb God.
That one time I got permabanned and got to read who was being bitxhy about me :p....
GO GO DEKKER RANGERSSSS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
President of the Scooby Doo Model Appreciation Society
The only good Zod is a dead Zod
NEWGROUNDS COMEDY GOLD, UPDATED DAILY
http://badges.steamprofile.com/profile/default/steam/76561198011784807.png

Offline Ally Cat

• Go to bed.
Only if your definition of "operating" is equal to trashing on the ground. :lol:

If you blow a leg off a HERC, it falls over, destroyed. (And always has, that's how Starsiege did it, that's how both Earthsiege games did it.) If you blow a leg off a 'Mech, it either stays standing but limps (MW4 and cousins) or it falls down, but can sit up and still fire all its available weapons. :P
"mew."

And there was much wailing and gnashing of teeth as they fled the terrible kittens.

Offline Commander Zane

• Spoot Knight of Anvils
Only if your definition of "operating" is equal to trashing on the ground. :lol:

If you blow a leg off a HERC, it falls over, destroyed. (And always has, that's how Starsiege did it, that's how both Earthsiege games did it.)
Yes, that's how STARSIEGE did it, on Earthsiege 2 the HERC would merely be disabled and the pilot would still be alive. :P
Though watching Talons flop around at 140+ Km/h is pretty funny. ;7

Offline Ace

• Truth of Babel
    • http://www.lordofrigel.com
Herc pilots however are a different matter. They're all born of survivors of a nuclear war that makes Judgement day look like a bit of sunburn.

Human//animal lies\\misinformation. Real <HERC pilots> are the <NEXT>! :pbbbt!:
Ace
Self-plagiarism is style.
-Alfred Hitchcock

Offline Colonol Dekker

• HLP is my mistress
  • Aken Tigh Dekker- you've probably heard me
    • My old squad sub-domain
HUMAN ANIMAL//ICEHAWK-THIRD PLANET = SUPERIOR
Campaigns I've added my distinctiveness to-
- Blue Planet: Battle Captains
-Battle of Neptune
-Between the Ashes 2
-Blue planet: Age of Aquarius
-FOTG?
-Inferno R1
-Ribos: The aftermath / -Retreat from Deneb
-Sol: A History
-TBP EACW teaser
-Earth Brakiri war
-TBP Fortune Hunters (I think?)
-TBP Relic
-Trancsend (Possibly?)
-Uncharted Territory
-Vassagos Dirge
-War Machine
(Others lost to the mists of time and no discernible audit trail)

Your friendly Orestes tactical controller.

Secret bomb God.
That one time I got permabanned and got to read who was being bitxhy about me :p....
GO GO DEKKER RANGERSSSS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
President of the Scooby Doo Model Appreciation Society
The only good Zod is a dead Zod
NEWGROUNDS COMEDY GOLD, UPDATED DAILY
http://badges.steamprofile.com/profile/default/steam/76561198011784807.png

Offline TrashMan

• T-tower Avenger. srsly.
  • God-Emperor of your kind!
    • Minecraft
    • FLAMES OF WAR
If you blow a leg off a HERC, it falls over, destroyed. (And always has, that's how Starsiege did it, that's how both Earthsiege games did it.) If you blow a leg off a 'Mech, it either stays standing but limps (MW4 and cousins) or it falls down, but can sit up and still fire all its available weapons. :P

You see, that's because HERCs are powered by more common sense than Mechs. :p
Nobody dies as a virgin - the life ****s us all!

You're a wrongularity from which no right can escape!

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
  • i wonder when my postcount will exceed my iq
 :wtf:

If your leg gets blown off, do you fall over and die?

No, you fall over and writhe around, and if you were immune to pain and blood loss (which Mechs are) then you could pick up your rifle and keep shooting. It happens.

Offline Commander Zane

• Spoot Knight of Anvils
:wtf:

If your leg gets blown off, do you fall over and die?
Like I said, that's only Starsiege, you don't instantly die if your HERC's leg is destroyed on Earthsiege 2, the HERC is disabled and the pilot still lives, unless the fall causes catastrophic damage to the torso. Also the HERC can have its legs damaged to the point where it limps like a Mech with a "destroyed" leg.

Starsiege was the P.O.S. installment that botched half of the gameplay of Earthsiege 2, just like Heavy Gear 2 messed with their gameplay too much and made it so losing an arm meant bye-bye. :doubt:

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
  • i wonder when my postcount will exceed my iq
Fine, fine, that's all beside the point (or completely in agreement with my point.)

My comment was a rebuttal to Trashman's bizarre assertion that something should immediately explode when it falls over. He apparently subscribes to the same school of thought that makes cars explode during movie chase scenes.

Offline Commander Zane

• Spoot Knight of Anvils
This makes me want to play Earthsiege. :P

Offline Scotty

• 1.21 gigawatts!
  • Guns, guns, guns.
Fine, fine, that's all beside the point (or completely in agreement with my point.)

My comment was a rebuttal to Trashman's bizarre assertion that something should immediately explode when it falls over. He apparently subscribes to the same school of thought that makes cars explode during movie chase scenes.

You mean as if it were made of explodium?

Offline Liberator

• Poe's Law In Action
DAMN YOU SCOTTY!

I WILL NOT BE LURED BY YOUR PROMISES OF EXPLODIUM! :hopping:

MY LIFE IS MY OWN, NOT SOMETHING TO BE TOYED WITH BY A MEANINGLESS TROPE! :mad:

lol :D :D
So as through a glass, and darkly
The age long strife I see
Where I fought in many guises,
Many names, but always me.

There are only 10 types of people in the world , those that understand binary and those that don't.

Offline Scotty

• 1.21 gigawatts!
  • Guns, guns, guns.
Well, when you have nothing to do for days on end, TVTropes actually becomes an effective way to pass the time.

Offline Ace

• Truth of Babel
    • http://www.lordofrigel.com
Starsiege was the P.O.S. installment that botched half of the gameplay of Earthsiege 2, just like Heavy Gear 2 messed with their gameplay too much and made it so losing an arm meant bye-bye. :doubt:

Heavy Gear 2 was by far superior to HG1. Mostly because Gears are glorified powered armor, not mechs. So the new GUI and controls fit better.
Ace
Self-plagiarism is style.
-Alfred Hitchcock

Offline Mongoose

• Rikki-Tikki-Tavi
  • Global Moderator
  • This brain for rent.
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
    • Something
Hey, it worked in Return of the Jedi. :p

Offline Scotty

• 1.21 gigawatts!
  • Guns, guns, guns.
Which is Star Wars.  And therefore even more subject to the rule of cool than BattleTech, and BT is run solely on the rule of cool.(link just for you Liberator :P)

Offline Liberator

• Poe's Law In Action
DAMN IT!!!! :shaking:
So as through a glass, and darkly
The age long strife I see
Where I fought in many guises,
Many names, but always me.

There are only 10 types of people in the world , those that understand binary and those that don't.

Offline TrashMan

• T-tower Avenger. srsly.
  • God-Emperor of your kind!
    • Minecraft
    • FLAMES OF WAR

Explode? No, I didn't say that. I said that classic mech (bird legs, guns for arms) with it's legs blown off WILL fall down (no way in hell it can retain balance) and will get even more damage from the fall itself. It becomes a crippled, practicly unmoving target.

Do I have to explain it in details? Fine. See this image:
http://www.mektek.net/forums/uploads/post-29-1114206378.jpg

Let's take the MadCat/Timberwolf, since it's the poster child for the whole Battletech series. What happens when it's leg gets blown off by a missile or something? It topples over to it's side. which means all the lovely 70 tons end up crashing right on that flimsy little arm. It would be a miracle if the arm doesn't snap from that. Assuming it doesn't snap, Do you think it can lift that weight? Getting a mech in a sitting position is not easy in a situation like this (and that's an understatement). Not that you need to move it a sitting position. As long as the front of the mech is roughly facing the enemy, you should be able to train a functioning weapon towards him (more or less).
Mechs with real arms would be better at this than HERCs, but it's still a slow and ponderous process.

You're a big, damaged, trashing target - leaving the mech/HERC is a smarter move than continuing to fight in that case.

Fluff, manual and game performance matter little.
I could make a mech game and be lazy in coding, and make it so that damaged parts just become invisible instead of blowing off, and thus if you blow both legs off my mech, it will "float/hover" (since it's legs are still there, just invisible...destroyed). Does that mean that my mech design is super-awesome and loosing both legs doesn't hinder it's performance at all? Of course not.
Nobody dies as a virgin - the life ****s us all!

You're a wrongularity from which no right can escape!

Offline darkone

• Space Sims will NEVER DIE
    • Space Sim Central
Never actually played MW4 but played 1&2 and will definitely give this a try when it is available for download.