Author Topic: RELEASE - Crossing the Styx  (Read 30965 times)

Re: RELEASE - Crossing the Styx
Interesting campaign. The beginning was very intense, I mean - beyond the second knossos with the NTF... I was always thinking where did the Trinity show up! The optionality was nice, and is good that you rearmed and repaired the player in every mission. If that fix wasnt there, it'd be realistic, but very hard to complete.
The psychology was interesting, too. Should I fight and die... or bring the Shivvies back? Can't say I didn't have goosebumps.

Classic cutscenes, I can't grasp any script errors neither, BUT... what frustrated me were the missions at the end, very stereotypical and same. Fight/go. Some more plot twists would be welcome, rememer RA's Sync ;) You don't have to keep the original storyline, as you are the choosing pilot ;)

If I'd be to rate, I'd go 100/30. Chronologically.

Keep it up!
Okay, thanks for playing :) Sorry for the repetitive end.

Offline PMY

Replayed the campaign on Insane level of difficulty. Who said this campaign is too easy? It definitely isn't - most missions are way too unbalanced to play them on Insane (you will die again and again and again) or even on Hard. I suspect it wasn't even playtested on higher difficulty levels before release. Unfortunately, the only efficient tactics in almost every mission is to cowardly run away from any fight.
« Last Edit: April 08, 2011, 04:44:41 pm by PMY »

Things aren't supposed to be easy on Insane :P But yeah, I only tested up till Medium (IIRC), I'm a really crappy pilot.

Offline Deka1184

• Formerly known as KappaWing
Rakshasas firing through themselves happens in every campaign.

Spoiler:
How do you do the "or not" path in the gamma drac mission after you get out of the nebula? I tried jumping through the Knossos and every time that fails I have to play the whole campaign again. Do you have to do something weird with the Rakshasa?

Spoiler:
Hmm, well, that's not an actual branch in the campaign. The directive will trigger if you just get killed, but then you'll be prompted to play the mission again (just in case you died unexpectedly). You're right, I should have considered the possibility of going back through the Knossos.

Offline 0rph3u5

• Oceans rise. Empires fall.
At the beginning of the week I got permission from FreeSpaceFreak to get Crossing the Styx out onto Knossos. As a contribution to the Anniversary proceedings I decided to make it a priority and here we are!

CROSSING THE STYX
2019 Knossos re-release

Join a NTF task force on a daring mission behind Alliance lines. Your objective is nothing short of altering the future of the Terran people.

Credits

* Made by: FSF

Special thanks to:

* ShadowGorrath
 - General modding help, beta testing

* Droid803   
 - Beta testing

* GalEmp   
 - NTF logo, interface concept

* FlamingSword
 - Interface help

Knossos re-release:

* Mjn.Mixael   
- GTD Bastion A interface art

* Jan ''0rph3u5'' Dombert   
- Curator

* themaddin
- Video Editing

* carbunch aka Rhys
- Intro Movie Music

In my capacity as "curator" I added a few conveniences (e.g. player subsystem protection when applicable) but mostly kept the campaign as is. One "big" omission however is that the Intro-movie that originally came with the campaign is not included in the Knossos-version (tl;dr: It's a copyright thing).

« Last Edit: January 21, 2020, 09:59:22 am by 0rph3u5 »
"As you sought to steal a kingdom for yourself, so must you do again, a thousand times over. For a theft, a true theft, must be practiced to be earned." - The terms of Nyrissa's curse, Pathfinder: Kingmaker

==================

"I am Curiosity, and I've always wondered what would become of you, here at the end of the world." - The Guide/The Curious Other, Othercide

"When you work with water, you have to know and respect it. When you labour to subdue it, you have to understand that one day it may rise up and turn all your labours into nothing. For what is water, which seeks to make all things level, which has no taste or colour of its own, but a liquid form of Nothing?" - Graham Swift, Waterland

"...because they are not Dragons."

Good job! :)

But what is the point about not including a roughly 20 second long cutscene? :wtf: Nobody will ever care about that.

Offline 0rph3u5

But what is the point about not including a roughly 20 second long cutscene? :wtf: Nobody will ever care about that.

The audio track of cutscene contains material from another game, for which I don't own and don't have the EULA at hand - as such I can't comment on legality of its use.

Also, since copyright law in the EU is currently a bit complicated pending the national implimentation of the rules passed the European Parliament in May; and both I and (acording to this legal brief) Knossos fall under german jurisdiction when it comes to copyright law - and german copyright law is terrible, esspecially after a court case in July which further complicated everything about it.

Since the cutscene only serves to establish that campaign starts on the NTD Repulse, which is also done by using the Bastion mainhall and some of the mission loading screens, I decided that I rather not have that kind of legal exposure.

FreeSpaceFreak can, of course, override me anytime.
"As you sought to steal a kingdom for yourself, so must you do again, a thousand times over. For a theft, a true theft, must be practiced to be earned." - The terms of Nyrissa's curse, Pathfinder: Kingmaker

==================

"I am Curiosity, and I've always wondered what would become of you, here at the end of the world." - The Guide/The Curious Other, Othercide

"When you work with water, you have to know and respect it. When you labour to subdue it, you have to understand that one day it may rise up and turn all your labours into nothing. For what is water, which seeks to make all things level, which has no taste or colour of its own, but a liquid form of Nothing?" - Graham Swift, Waterland

Yeah German judges are trapped in stone age. :lol: I kinda understand that you're careful on this one even though HLP mods often contain parts/remixes and nobody ever cared about it (in fact, ngld is from here too and hosts all the stuff XD). Still you should find somebody to put the intro back in. :nod:

Offline Novachen

• The one and only capella supernova
    • Twitter
Well, because the Intro is only a flight into NTD Repulse Hangar bay.. it would not even a big challenge to recreate that... without Modern Warfare music.

But well, i am also not sure if this make a big difference on Knossos. Because there are many uploaded mods that have Tracks from Star Trek: Elite Force II, StarCraft 2, Mass Effect and Halo...

not to speak of several movie soundtracks like District 9 or most of Two Steps from Hell discography...  :D
« Last Edit: September 27, 2019, 06:11:41 pm by Novachen »
Female FreeSpace 2 pilot since 1999.
Former Global moderator in the German FreeSpace Galaxy Forum.
Developer of NTP - A Multi-Language Translation Library Interface, which allows to play FreeSpace in YOUR Language.

Is one of my releases broken or not working? Please send a PM here, on Discord at @novachen or on Twitter @NovachenFS2, a public tweet or write a reply in my own release threads here on HLP, because these are the only threads i am still participating in.

Offline 0rph3u5

I kinda understand that you're careful on this one even though HLP mods often contain parts/remixes and nobody ever cared about it (in fact, ngld is from here too and hosts all the stuff XD). Still you should find somebody to put the intro back in. :nod:

Well, they get to play by a different set of rules due to being subject to fundamentally different sets of copyright laws - tl;dr Most of german common law is predicated on the idea that you have to ask permission for anything outside your own property. While in anglo-saxon law a prioriy is basically "if no one objects...."* - and ngld gets to make use of the best portions of german copyright law, e.g. that it favors arbitration over filing a full suit and that under german law you can only sue for past damages in almost all chases. (Also the case would be different if I had an actual Rechtsschutzversicherung at the moment)

* Not a lawyer; don't use in court.

==================

Still you should look for somebody to upload that thing if you don't want to do it yourself.

Offline 0rph3u5

I'd still be legally accountable if I asked someone, Nightmare.

Now if someone had the software (which I don't) to change the audio track on the .ogg things would be different.

==================

Then PM people on Discord or whatever.

Offline 0rph3u5

I am not going to discuss the omission further.

There are two scenarios for the bringing the cutscene back into the released version:

A) FreeSpaceFreak tells me to (and thus at least partially accepts legal liability).

B) I get the audio-track removed and/or replaced.

If you have the software and time to make Scenario B happen, you can contact me via any of the given options listed on my forum profile - a private message here on HLP is the prefered option.

==================

Offline 0rph3u5

Version 1.0.3 released

- Added a failsafe to Mission 12
Spoiler:
You will now take 100x the damage from the Disruptors on the SOC fighters, which in turn will only take 1% of the usual damage from your weapons.

This should ensure that you can't destroy the SOC fighters anymore and they disable you without fail.

==================

But I like intro cutscenes. :p Good thing I still have the original~

Thanks a lot 0rph3u5 for taking the time and effort to bring this back into current era :) Regarding the cutscene thing, of course it's a pity it had to be omitted, but I agree that this is not the time or place to take risks with copyrights. (Much less would I ask someone to break the law!) I think you made the right decision in omitting it.

Offline 0rph3u5

Version 1.0.4 released

- Thanks to community member themaddin, a version of the original release's intro movie without the audio track is now included.
- A minor fix to the failsafe from 1.0.3 so there is no more potential unwanted messages from the Debug Build.

Thanks a lot 0rph3u5 for taking the time and effort to bring this back into current era :) Regarding the cutscene thing, of course it's a pity it had to be omitted, but I agree that this is not the time or place to take risks with copyrights. (Much less would I ask someone to break the law!) I think you made the right decision in omitting it.

I'd say "you are welcome" but considering the curation is also a "thank you" to you for making this, it would have the potential to be looping :)

==================

Offline 0rph3u5

Version 1.0.5

Thanks to the iniative of the themaddin and the excellent work by Rhys (aka carbunch), Version 1.0.5 is now live.

The intro-movie now has an original music track by Rhys.

Sounds small but isn't. So please a big round of applause for these two.

==================