Author Topic: RELEASE - The Apocalypse: Vega  (Read 28552 times)

Offline NGTM-1R

• I reject your reality and substitute my own
  • Syndral Active. 0410.
Re: RELEASE - The Apocalypse: Vega
Spoiler:
The Good
This space intentionally left blank.

The Bad
Default loadouts on friendly craft, resulting in useless(er) crappy Seraphim flying about, plinking away at Shivans with SDGs and Prom-R. Immeditately after Capella, when they should have been packing Prom S at the least.

WTF is going on here? I haven't got a clue. The campaign's got no intro worthy of the name, and the presence of Shivan ships in Vega in strength enough to pose a threat to a destroyer is something of an asspull in and of itself.

Seriously. Next time, ask for the assistance of the native speaker of English. Straight up, ask somebody, right here in this subforum.

The Shivany survival of Capella got worse, too. Polaris? How the **** did they get into Polaris? Two destroyers? The GTVA was worried about single cruisers making it out of the system in the last missions of FS2 and you're telling me the Shivans have destroyers in Vega?

The existance of a boneyard station is plausible. The existence of one, with live weapons, without a caretaker staff, is ludicrious.

The Ugly
DEFAULT LOADOUTS. IN A HERC.  LESS THAN AN HOUR AFTER CAPELLA. WHAT THE ****ING HELL.

DEFAULT LOADOUTS, IN A HERC, LESS THAN AN HOUR AFTER CAPELLA, AND YOU WANT ME TO DISARM A ****ING LILTH WITH THAT. WHAT THE ****ING HELL.

There are continual problems with head anis being wrong, strange, or just not there.

The station in mission three does too have power at the start of the mission. Look at the blinking lights and spinning radar antennae!

Second mission designer fiat ugliness; you will not be near the transports when they arrive. The transports will get free shots at them therefore. There will be blood. I lost Theta 1 on very easy on two consecutive playthroughs. That should not be possible.

Loadout issued for the second mission is totally inadequate to the task of disarming a Rakshasa. Sure, fakeout loadouts are okay, along with fakeout briefings, but you have to give somebody a chance instead of racks of Tornados and Rockeyes and a Myrm's gun layout against those tiny prongs.

I gotta go play Tides of Darkness again to detox after two missions. Argh.
« Last Edit: July 14, 2009, 11:45:15 am by NGTM-1R »
"Load sabot. Target Zaku, direct front!"

A Feddie Story

Offline Viko

i just finished it and i liked it  :lol:

i liked the way you introduced the missions without briefing.

and for the story we need to know more before we made any conclusion but it gaves me want to keep playing.

and please for the final release ... i hate subach laser  :mad:

anyway thanks for you work  :yes:
« Last Edit: July 15, 2009, 12:21:47 pm by Viko »

i got a weird bug at the second mission, the screen is black at the start and stays that way, im using the scp version from that earlier link.

Offline Snail

• SC 5
Seems like fade-in fade-out aren't working.

Offline Nuclear1

Wow...ngtm1r's brutal honest truth. No wonder I had you playtest Rogue :p
Spoon - I stand in awe by your flawless fredding. Truely, never before have I witnessed such magnificant display of beamz.
Axem -  I don't know what I'll do with my life now. Maybe I'll become a Nun, or take up Macrame. But where ever I go... I will remember you!
Axem - Sorry to post again when I said I was leaving for good, but something was nagging me. I don't want to say it in a way that shames the campaign but I think we can all agree it is actually.. incomplete. It is missing... Voice Acting.
Quanto - I for one would love to lend my beautiful singing voice into this wholesome project.
Nuclear1 - I want a duet.
AndrewofDoom - Make it a trio!

Offline Dilmah G

• Failed juggling
  • Do try it.
Wow, well I really beg to differ from NGTM-1R's point of view here.

Spoiler:
The atmosphere was bloody excellent! The use of cutscene subtitles at the beginning of missions and a custom soundtrack brought across a movie-like immersion to me. I was too busy fighting off the Shivans to notice a lot of the shortcomings. The language was one which I felt could've been improved by an english proof-reader, but it was legible. The intensity on the first mission was insane (in a good way), it just inspired me to "Fight Harder". However, why was I flying a Herc I in the first mission? I've only played up to the third mission at the moment, however that'll be subject to change.

I really liked the campaign to be honest, and I don't think NGTM-1R's review should discourage people from playing this campaign, make your own minds up :).

Offline NGTM-1R

• I reject your reality and substitute my own
  • Syndral Active. 0410.
Wow...ngtm1r's brutal honest truth. No wonder I had you playtest Rogue :p

There's a reason I went for the "WITHOUT PITY" in the sig. :P
"Load sabot. Target Zaku, direct front!"

A Feddie Story

Offline shiv

• Don't forget Poland!
  • FRED me!
    • http://freespace.pl
and please for the final release ... i hate subach laser
Your feedback has been noted :nod:
The language was one which I felt could've been improved by an english proof-reader, but it was legible.
It's already being grammar corrected by a native English speaker. Grammar Checked version will be ready soon9tm) :D
Why was I flying a Herc I in the first mission?
Messana in her desperation has launched everything she had.
About Subach lasers - Everything is low on resources. In addition eyrines fighters/kayser lasers/other advanced ones were more liek reserved only for elite pilots.

However... In the sequel...
Spoiler:
...You'll play mostly in systems untouched by Second Shivan Incrusion, so you'll have access to more powerfull toys and as well some new ones : )
So keep faith!

've only played up to the third mission at the moment
How did you like the ending of M3? ;7 ;7
http://www.sectorgame.com/vega
The Apocalypse Vega - Join the battle! A campaign for FreeSpace 2 Open

http://www.game-warden.com/earthdefence
Earth Defense project - Coming soon...

Offline Dilmah G

• Failed juggling
  • Do try it.
Ahh I see. :D

Offline Spoon

• ヾ(´︶`♡)ノ
i got a weird bug at the second mission, the screen is black at the start and stays that way, im using the scp version from that earlier link.
Same here, at first I figured it was because I was using an older nightly build but even with the one posted earlier my screen remains black. 
Urutorahappī!!

[02:42] <@Axem> spoon somethings wrong
[02:42] <@Axem> critically wrong
[02:42] <@Axem> im happy with these missions now
[02:44] <@Axem> well
[02:44] <@Axem> with 2 of them

Offline Thaeris

• Can take his lumps
  • Away in Limbo
Is data on this campaign logged in the Wiki yet?

-Thaeris
"trolls are clearly social rejects and therefore should be isolated from society, or perhaps impaled."

-Nuke

"Look on the bright side, how many release dates have been given for Doomsday, and it still isn't out yet.

It's the Duke Nukem Forever of prophecies..."

"Jesus saves.

Everyone else takes normal damage.
"

-Flipside

"pirating software is a lesser evil than stealing but its still evil. but since i pride myself for being evil, almost anything is fair game."

"i never understood why women get the creeps so ****ing easily. i mean most serial killers act perfectly normal, until they kill you."

-Nuke

Offline karajorma

• King Louie - Jungle VIP
  • Administrator
    • Karajorma's Freespace FAQ
There are continual problems with head anis being wrong, strange, or just not there.

My bad, not Shiv's most probably.  There was a code bug that caused strange behaviour in both anis and wav messages. It's also responsible for Rodo's problem earlier.

Should be fixed in the latest nightlies.
Karajorma's Freespace FAQ. It's almost like asking me yourself.

[ Diaspora ] - [ Seeds Of Rebellion ] - [ Mind Games ]

Offline Mehrpack

• Flying Monkey
hi,
not bad and a good atmosphere, but im missed briefings and debriefings.
often you kicked out in the space.
imho are the briefings / debriefings a good way to transport the story and tell details out of the missions.
for example: how doing the others, what state is the defence of the relay (i missed here a mission, it was tell that its likely they attack it, but nothing happen).
the spelling? na im not a nativ english, so dont worry, nobody is perfect and my nativ spelling is far away of been perfect  :lol:

but the last mission: *whine* thats a really hard cliff hanger. man you cant be serious  :D want it now  :yes:

the ships and the weapons: no problem, i mean its understandable that you fly in a rosty box with waterguns *ggg*

Mehrpack
Nobody is Perfect.
attention: this english is dangerours and terrible, runaway so fast you can!

Offline MetalDestroyer

• Starwars reborn!
Seems like fade-in fade-out aren't working.

Same here, i got the bug since the second mission. I've to increase the in-game gamma :/ not cool at all.

This is a nice campaign overall, even with the grammatical errors. Like what Dilmah said, I too was too busy fighting to notice the other shortcomings. I kind of liked the foregoing of the briefings and debriefings, although admittedly it makes things a tad awkward at the start of missions, but as I've been playing FS for ages that's not too big a problem.

Offline Felix 039

• The One True Noob
Transmission show time is too short, cant finish the sentence before next line pops up. With so much action going on without Voice Acting, its very confusing.
Turning pros into noobs since 1992.
---
Oh look, there's something down here!

No there isn't...

Offline Felix 039

• The One True Noob
Okay, just finished the Campaign. Time to give some scores.
---

Grammar/Wording/Spelling: 6/10
Action: 8/10
Logic: 7/10
Story: 9/10
Creativity: 9/10
Use of Features: 8/10
Transmission Speed: 3/10 (Too fast, cant read through everything)
Voice Acting: 0/10 (No Voice Acting)
---
Im looking forward to the sequal for this campaign  :D  I want to know what is that Juggernaught doing in Vega
« Last Edit: July 20, 2009, 08:04:13 pm by Felix 039 »
Turning pros into noobs since 1992.
---
Oh look, there's something down here!

No there isn't...

Offline shiv

• Don't forget Poland!
  • FRED me!
    • http://freespace.pl
Im looking forward to the sequal for this campaign  :D
This should be satisfying enough while waiting :P
http://www.sectorgame.com/vega
The Apocalypse Vega - Join the battle! A campaign for FreeSpace 2 Open

http://www.game-warden.com/earthdefence
Earth Defense project - Coming soon...

Offline eliex

Whenever I write out a plan prior to FREDding, I find that I get inspirational ideas for it that I would never get when simply FREDding on whim.

Offline Snail

• SC 5
I never plan my missions.

Is this a bad thing?