Author Topic: bug #2151  (Read 3018 times)

Offline Genghis

• KHAAAAAAAN!!!
    • Linkedin
For anyone with SVN submit access...

There's a patch fix for Mantis 2151 in the bug attachments.  There was some discussion about the validity of NULL engine wash info, but it seems to be just fine.

While I was at it, I also went through the code looking for other cases where stuff_string() is used and the result needs to be meaningful; I added warnings where appropriate.  The results of that effort are also attached to 2151 in extra_error_checking.diff.

Offline Goober5000

• HLP Loremaster
    • Goober5000 Productions
Generally, it's a good idea to keep discussion in one place.  If developers aren't evaluating the patch at the speed you prefer, bump the Mantis ticket a few times.  Only after repeated bumping should you post in the forum. ;)

And what does stuff_string() have to do with engine wash?  There should really be only one issue per ticket.  You have developer permissions on Mantis now; you can open a new Mantis ticket and start discussion about stuff_string() there. :)

Offline Genghis

• KHAAAAAAAN!!!
    • Linkedin
Generally, it's a good idea to keep discussion in one place.  If developers aren't evaluating the patch at the speed you prefer, bump the Mantis ticket a few times.  Only after repeated bumping should you post in the forum. ;)

And what does stuff_string() have to do with engine wash?  There should really be only one issue per ticket.  You have developer permissions on Mantis now; you can open a new Mantis ticket and start discussion about stuff_string() there. :)

Okay okay consider it done, I'll create a new ticket for the extra error checking and move the diff there :)

As for why is it linked to engine wash?  Well it's because while I was adding the error check for the engine wash I noticed there were other similar cases where stuff_string() was being used to pull a string value out of a table, and it needed to be meaningful (it usually had to correspond to a name in some other table) but no error checking was being done on them.  So I decided to go through and fix as many as I could find, rather than wait for FUBAR To bug them all individually :D

But you're right, that belongs in a different bug report.

Offline chief1983

• Still lacks a custom title
  • ⬇️⬆️⬅️⬅️🅰➡️⬇️
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
    • Fate of the Galaxy
I made a similar comment in the bug so it's not confusing in Mantis what's going on with the ticket.  Thanks for splitting it.
Fate of the Galaxy - Now Hiring!  Apply within | Diaspora | SCP Home | Collada Importer for PCS2
Karajorma's 'How to report bugs' | Mantis
#freespace | #scp-swc | #diaspora | #SCP | #hard-light on EsperNet

"You may not sell or otherwise commercially exploit the source or things you created based on the source." -- Excerpt from FSO license, for reference

Nuclear1:  Jesus Christ zack you're a little too hamyurger for HLP right now...
iamzack:  i dont have hamynerge i just want ptatoc hips D:
redsniper:  Platonic hips?!
iamzack:  lays

Offline karajorma

• King Louie - Jungle VIP
  • Administrator
    • Karajorma's Freespace FAQ
:bump:

I've gone through all the bugs assigned to Genghis and committed whatever I could understand. Can someone go through the other 4?

Actually, you can probably ignore the extra-checking one, most of that is in SVN too now.
Karajorma's Freespace FAQ. It's almost like asking me yourself.

[ Diaspora ] - [ Seeds Of Rebellion ] - [ Mind Games ]

Offline Echelon9

Arggh, WarningEx() breaks cross-platform compile!

Offline karajorma

• Administrator
Gah! Forgot that Windows_stubs is used for cross platform defines like Warning etc. I've added the code there but I can't compile it myself to test it.
« Last Edit: May 04, 2010, 07:33:34 am by karajorma »

Offline Echelon9

Ta. Fixed. :)

Offline chief1983

• Still lacks a custom title
  • ⬇️⬆️⬅️⬅️🅰➡️⬇️
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
    • Fate of the Galaxy
Not entirely for me.

Pastebin post

Code: [Select]
=== BUILD NATIVE TARGET code OF PROJECT FS2_Open WITH CONFIGURATION Debug_Inferno ===
Check dependencies
CompileC build/FS2_Open.build/Debug_Inferno/code.build/Objects-normal/ppc/stubs.o ../../code/windows_stub/stubs.cpp normal ppc c++ com.apple.compilers.gcc.4_0
    cd /Users/cliffgordon/fs2open/projects/Xcode
    setenv LANG en_US.US-ASCII
    /Developer/usr/bin/gcc-4.0 -x c++ -arch ppc -fmessage-length=0 -pipe -Wno-trigraphs -fpascal-strings -fasm-blocks -O0 -D_DEBUG -DSCP_UNIX -DUSE_OPENAL -DAPPLE_APP -DINF_BUILD -isysroot /Developer/SDKs/MacOSX10.4u.sdk -mtune=G5 -mmacosx-version-min=10.4 -gdwarf-2 -I/Users/cliffgordon/fs2open/projects/Xcode/build/FS2_Open.build/Debug_Inferno/code.build/code.hmap -Wno-char-subscripts -F/Users/cliffgordon/fs2open/projects/Xcode/build/Debug_Inferno -F/Users/cliffgordon/fs2open/projects/Xcode/Frameworks -I/Users/cliffgordon/fs2open/projects/Xcode/build/Debug_Inferno/include -I../../code -IFrameworks/Ogg.framework/Headers -IFrameworks/Vorbis.framework/Headers -IFrameworks/Theora.framework/Headers -IFrameworks/SDL.framework/Headers -I/Developer/SDKs/MacOSX10.4u.sdk/System/Library/Frameworks/OpenAL.framework/Headers -I/Developer/SDKs/MacOSX10.4u.sdk/System/Library/Frameworks/OpenGL.framework/Headers -I/Users/cliffgordon/fs2open/projects/Xcode/build/FS2_Open.build/Debug_Inferno/code.build/DerivedSources/ppc -I/Users/cliffgordon/fs2open/projects/Xcode/build/FS2_Open.build/Debug_Inferno/code.build/DerivedSources -c /Users/cliffgordon/fs2open/projects/Xcode/../../code/windows_stub/stubs.cpp -o /Users/cliffgordon/fs2open/projects/Xcode/build/FS2_Open.build/Debug_Inferno/code.build/Objects-normal/ppc/stubs.o

/Users/cliffgordon/fs2open/projects/Xcode/../../code/windows_stub/stubs.cpp: In function 'void WarningEx(char*, int, const char*, ...)':
/Users/cliffgordon/fs2open/projects/Xcode/../../code/windows_stub/stubs.cpp:152: error: 'AssertText1' was not declared in this scope
/Users/cliffgordon/fs2open/projects/Xcode/../../code/windows_stub/stubs.cpp:155: error: 'msg' was not declared in this scope
CompileC build/FS2_Open.build/Debug_Inferno/code.build/Objects-normal/i386/stubs.o ../../code/windows_stub/stubs.cpp normal i386 c++ com.apple.compilers.gcc.4_0
    setenv LANG en_US.US-ASCII
    /Developer/usr/bin/gcc-4.0 -x c++ -arch i386 -fmessage-length=0 -pipe -Wno-trigraphs -fpascal-strings -fasm-blocks -O0 -D_DEBUG -DSCP_UNIX -DUSE_OPENAL -DAPPLE_APP -DINF_BUILD -isysroot /Developer/SDKs/MacOSX10.4u.sdk -mmacosx-version-min=10.4 -gdwarf-2 -I/Users/cliffgordon/fs2open/projects/Xcode/build/FS2_Open.build/Debug_Inferno/code.build/code.hmap -Wno-char-subscripts -F/Users/cliffgordon/fs2open/projects/Xcode/build/Debug_Inferno -F/Users/cliffgordon/fs2open/projects/Xcode/Frameworks -I/Users/cliffgordon/fs2open/projects/Xcode/build/Debug_Inferno/include -I../../code -IFrameworks/Ogg.framework/Headers -IFrameworks/Vorbis.framework/Headers -IFrameworks/Theora.framework/Headers -IFrameworks/SDL.framework/Headers -I/Developer/SDKs/MacOSX10.4u.sdk/System/Library/Frameworks/OpenAL.framework/Headers -I/Developer/SDKs/MacOSX10.4u.sdk/System/Library/Frameworks/OpenGL.framework/Headers -I/Users/cliffgordon/fs2open/projects/Xcode/build/FS2_Open.build/Debug_Inferno/code.build/DerivedSources/i386 -I/Users/cliffgordon/fs2open/projects/Xcode/build/FS2_Open.build/Debug_Inferno/code.build/DerivedSources -c /Users/cliffgordon/fs2open/projects/Xcode/../../code/windows_stub/stubs.cpp -o /Users/cliffgordon/fs2open/projects/Xcode/build/FS2_Open.build/Debug_Inferno/code.build/Objects-normal/i386/stubs.o

/Users/cliffgordon/fs2open/projects/Xcode/../../code/windows_stub/stubs.cpp: In function 'void WarningEx(char*, int, const char*, ...)':
/Users/cliffgordon/fs2open/projects/Xcode/../../code/windows_stub/stubs.cpp:152: error: 'AssertText1' was not declared in this scope
/Users/cliffgordon/fs2open/projects/Xcode/../../code/windows_stub/stubs.cpp:155: error: 'msg' was not declared in this scope

=== BUILD NATIVE TARGET png OF PROJECT FS2_Open WITH CONFIGURATION Debug_Inferno ===
Check dependencies

=== BUILD NATIVE TARGET zlib OF PROJECT FS2_Open WITH CONFIGURATION Debug_Inferno ===
Check dependencies

=== BUILD NATIVE TARGET FS2_Open OF PROJECT FS2_Open WITH CONFIGURATION Debug_Inferno ===
Check dependencies
Warning: The Copy Bundle Resources build phase contains this target's Info.plist file 'Info.plist'.
[WARN]Warning: The Copy Bundle Resources build phase contains this target's Info.plist file 'Info.plist'.
Ld "build/FS2_Open.build/Debug_Inferno/FS2_Open.build/Objects-normal/ppc/FS2_Open-Inferno (debug)" normal ppc
    setenv MACOSX_DEPLOYMENT_TARGET 10.4
    /Developer/usr/bin/g++-4.0 -arch ppc -isysroot /Developer/SDKs/MacOSX10.4u.sdk -L/Users/cliffgordon/fs2open/projects/Xcode/build/Debug_Inferno -L/Users/cliffgordon/fs2open/projects/Xcode/build/Debug -F/Users/cliffgordon/fs2open/projects/Xcode/build/Debug_Inferno -FFrameworks -filelist "/Users/cliffgordon/fs2open/projects/Xcode/build/FS2_Open.build/Debug_Inferno/FS2_Open.build/Objects-normal/ppc/FS2_Open-Inferno (debug).LinkFileList" -mmacosx-version-min=10.4 -framework SDL -lSystemStubs -framework Cocoa -framework OpenGL -framework GLUT -framework OpenAL -framework SDL -ljpeg -lcode -llua -lpng -lzlib -framework Ogg -framework Vorbis -framework Theora -o "/Users/cliffgordon/fs2open/projects/Xcode/build/FS2_Open.build/Debug_Inferno/FS2_Open.build/Objects-normal/ppc/FS2_Open-Inferno (debug)"

ld: warning: directory '/Users/cliffgordon/fs2open/projects/Xcode/build/Debug' following -L not found
ld: library not found for -lcode
collect2: ld returned 1 exit status
Command /Developer/usr/bin/g++-4.0 failed with exit code 1
Ld "build/FS2_Open.build/Debug_Inferno/FS2_Open.build/Objects-normal/i386/FS2_Open-Inferno (debug)" normal i386
    setenv MACOSX_DEPLOYMENT_TARGET 10.4
    /Developer/usr/bin/g++-4.0 -arch i386 -isysroot /Developer/SDKs/MacOSX10.4u.sdk -L/Users/cliffgordon/fs2open/projects/Xcode/build/Debug_Inferno -L/Users/cliffgordon/fs2open/projects/Xcode/build/Debug -F/Users/cliffgordon/fs2open/projects/Xcode/build/Debug_Inferno -FFrameworks -filelist "/Users/cliffgordon/fs2open/projects/Xcode/build/FS2_Open.build/Debug_Inferno/FS2_Open.build/Objects-normal/i386/FS2_Open-Inferno (debug).LinkFileList" -mmacosx-version-min=10.4 -framework SDL -lSystemStubs -framework Cocoa -framework OpenGL -framework GLUT -framework OpenAL -framework SDL -ljpeg -lcode -llua -lpng -lzlib -framework Ogg -framework Vorbis -framework Theora -o "/Users/cliffgordon/fs2open/projects/Xcode/build/FS2_Open.build/Debug_Inferno/FS2_Open.build/Objects-normal/i386/FS2_Open-Inferno (debug)"

ld: warning: directory '/Users/cliffgordon/fs2open/projects/Xcode/build/Debug' following -L not found
ld: library not found for -lcode
collect2: ld returned 1 exit status
** BUILD FAILED **

The following build commands failed:
code:
CompileC build/FS2_Open.build/Debug_Inferno/code.build/Objects-normal/ppc/stubs.o /Users/cliffgordon/fs2open/projects/Xcode/../../code/windows_stub/stubs.cpp normal ppc c++ com.apple.compilers.gcc.4_0
CompileC build/FS2_Open.build/Debug_Inferno/code.build/Objects-normal/i386/stubs.o /Users/cliffgordon/fs2open/projects/Xcode/../../code/windows_stub/stubs.cpp normal i386 c++ com.apple.compilers.gcc.4_0
FS2_Open:
Ld "/Users/cliffgordon/fs2open/projects/Xcode/build/FS2_Open.build/Debug_Inferno/FS2_Open.build/Objects-normal/ppc/FS2_Open-Inferno (debug)" normal ppc
Ld "/Users/cliffgordon/fs2open/projects/Xcode/build/FS2_Open.build/Debug_Inferno/FS2_Open.build/Objects-normal/i386/FS2_Open-Inferno (debug)" normal i386
(4 failures)
Fate of the Galaxy - Now Hiring!  Apply within | Diaspora | SCP Home | Collada Importer for PCS2
Karajorma's 'How to report bugs' | Mantis
#freespace | #scp-swc | #diaspora | #SCP | #hard-light on EsperNet

"You may not sell or otherwise commercially exploit the source or things you created based on the source." -- Excerpt from FSO license, for reference

Nuclear1:  Jesus Christ zack you're a little too hamyurger for HLP right now...
iamzack:  i dont have hamynerge i just want ptatoc hips D:
redsniper:  Platonic hips?!
iamzack:  lays

Offline karajorma

• Administrator
Hmmmm. I wonder why that worked for E9 and not for you then.

Try adding this just above the entry for WarningEx in stubs.cpp

Code: [Select]
char AssertText1[2048];